Aug 24, 2011, 04:37 PM
Mile High Flyer CO USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeWingRC View Post
whats that flyjet 83 made out of? Crap styrofoam? Probably. Can't believe hobbyking hasnt got in trouble for lookalike models.

casey
it says epo, and this looks slightly like the funjet but is still very different. i love the fact it comes ready to handle a edf unit. multiplex should lookinto that its really nice
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2011, 05:02 PM
hidaven,

Make sure that you do not report the max/min values that Wattmeters such as Wattsupmeters report after the test.

You want the actual live numbers 1-2 seconds after full throttle.

When you first hit full throttle, there is a momentary spike as motor spools up.
Those numbers are meaningless and misleading...some use it for bragging. (Just B.S.)

So with motor running quickly memorize any 2 out of the 3 main numbers.
Write them down right away.

Amp X Volts = Watts

With any 2 out of the 3, you can always get the third number from the simple equation above.

I try and avoid going over 3 seconds when possible using a data logger but you might need a little longer in order to read 2 of 3 numbers.

Do not do 5+ second static tests because you might over heat the motor (pending relative Amps).

(some people video the wattmeter screen so they don't have to memorize anything.)

Have fun,

Gryphon
Aug 24, 2011, 07:47 PM
yes, I use the 130 amp HK version and Yes, It does just keep track of the max numbers after you power down. OK so I need 2 live numbers 3 seconds after I go full power. Well, are you also in the camp that does not believe in the Castle Data Logging numbers? They seem a bit higher than ALL my watt meter numbers by 15-20%

Anyway, Im glad the "burst" numbers I got are going to be higher than reality as I didnt want to be over 95 amps on this ICE 100 ESC. If im getting 96 amps doing the test the wrong way like you explained, my "true"numbers are probally a bit lower : )

This thing is too fast as it is, Im thinking of adding a drouge chute... : )
Thanks Gryphon
Aug 24, 2011, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
yes, I use the 130 amp HK version and Yes, It does just keep track of the max numbers after you power down. OK so I need 2 live numbers 3 seconds after I go full power. Well, are you also in the camp that does not believe in the Castle Data Logging numbers? They seem a bit higher than ALL my watt meter numbers by 15-20%

Anyway, Im glad the "burst" numbers I got are going to be higher than reality as I didnt want to be over 95 amps on this ICE 100 ESC. If im getting 96 amps doing the test the wrong way like you explained, my "true"numbers are probally a bit lower : )

Thanks Gryphon
Remember you can always drop some pitch on the prop,that's when it gets people's attention,vertical climb that's out of sight in 3 seconds!!!
Aug 25, 2011, 12:56 AM
Just skip to next section way down below.

Well most of my flights have been with Castle Phoenix 125A, and Phoenix 80A ESC before that. They do not have data loggers.

My Bench testing is now with Phoenix ICE 160A HV.
Before that I was using Eagle Tree 150A V3 data loggers which was fairly accurate in all aspects and I had noted it's small difference in volts to voltmeters but it was so small that I refused to give it a one step calibration on PC.

Just received my 150A V4 logger.

Bottom line: no I have not run an ICE but helped a bunch of people set theirs up.
Most people are reporting that the numbers are off.
Mopar reports his are pretty accurate if I recal correctly.

Most people seem to rely on it's RPM.

Actually .... I believe my ICE 160A HV is accurate.
I bought (2) Eagle tree V4 loggers and (2) brushless RPM sensors. Then put them all in series. Tested 16/35/1.5RCE on 4S-5000 up to 6.5X5.0 and there was close agreement with all 3 units (ESC and both new loggers).
Ask for a pic but it looks messy, still daisy chained.
Of topic: I noted the timer of one eagle tree starts off exacty 0.5 second after the other one after every battery plug in.
Anyway, lost some initial data out of ice due to trans stick position during battery power up. When I finish the last of comparison testing the 2nd new logger and sensor will be sent as a gift to a good friend. Nice way of making sure our data is the same.....especially since he adds any motor I want to his lineup.

--------

I suggest you compare your meter with another one and call it good if matching.
Note the difference with ICE.
See what ICE gives you at end of your high speed run.
Using that data together with motor temps pending your throttle management decide which prop to use.

I really like Aeronaut 6X5. Started with the white one and now have the carbon version as well.

I like how Arctery thinks. When you experience gut wrenching climbing; well, don't be surprised if your taste buds change a little.

Gryphon
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Aug 25, 2011 at 01:01 AM.
Aug 25, 2011, 02:30 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Gryph: I totally agree with Rim about the verticals How did you know?
Aug 25, 2011, 02:44 AM
I meant to say Rimripper.

Gryph
Aug 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
Yes, yes I am.
Quote:

Thanks Gryphon
You can always prop down to an APC 6x4 sport. That way the speed will be a little more manageable and your motor and battery will be happier too!

Later when that seems slow - then go back to your 6x5 prop...
Aug 25, 2011, 11:44 AM
OK, so I have a 6x4 as well. The 6x4 will climb faster and sound louder than my 6x5? Guess it would make sense....thrust would probally be more instant although the 6x5 would be 7-10mph faster.
Aug 25, 2011, 12:32 PM
Yes, yes I am.
Quote:
OK, so I have a 6x4 as well. The 6x4 will climb faster and sound louder than my 6x5? Guess it would make sense....thrust would probally be more instant although the 6x5 would be 7-10mph faster.
Something like that. You did want to go a little slower right? At least till you are more used to the speed?

Not sure it will climb faster with the 6x4. To me the 6x5.5 was faster at everything than the 6x4 except for at launch when you first get going.
Aug 25, 2011, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Not sure it will climb faster with the 6x4. To me the 6x5.5 was faster at everything than the 6x4 except for at launch when you first get going.
Of course the 6x5.5" will be faster and the model will climb faster too - mainly because you run a higher current, i.e. you run at more power. The only exception is when the prop is stalled. In this case you are just waisting the extra power.

Jürgen
Aug 25, 2011, 02:50 PM
When it comes to climbing the idea was to reduce pitch in exchange for increased prop diameter. In my MEGA 16/25/2EC Stryker i use 6.5x6.5 for speed and 7x5 for climbing/fun flying at same amp level on 4S.
Aug 25, 2011, 03:17 PM
"The Judge"
Im not sure the 6x5.5 will climb faster then the 6x4 in all combinations and situations, its more complicated....
Aug 25, 2011, 04:42 PM
Yes, yes I am.
Um... Yeah... About those TPS reports...

--

Basically I was recommending the 6x4 prop to hidaven (not because of thrust or climb or anything like that) but because he was saying his setup seemed too fast for him and that propping down from a 6x5 to a 6x4 would help make the speed more manageable for him till he gets used to the speed.

You could say, well then just run with a lower throttle. And yeah that works but the steeper prop will still push harder on his motor and batts. So why not run the lesser prop and have the power system run cooler while he's getting used to it. (Since he's running a 2200 4s and drawing close to 100 amps full throttle - which means that batt is not going to last long).

Once he's used to it, he can prop back up to the 6x5 and consider a bigger battery that won't cook so fast...
Aug 25, 2011, 04:57 PM
Bigger LiPo will bring a smile to his face. An APC 6.3x4 coupled with that will make the smile even wider...
Just my 2c....

Quick Reply