Aug 16, 2010, 12:12 PM
Failureisalwaysanoption
Anyone tried some kind of a catapult to launch this bird? I don't have access to launch capable club members every day. Could be nice to have some device to launch myself.
Last edited by cfe7; Aug 16, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2010, 12:15 PM
I'm also interested in any design/plans for a bungee launch.
Aug 18, 2010, 03:37 PM
All you need is plastic plumb pipe and fittings. You will find a couple of threads about catapult launch using search engine. Just to get an idea...

Last edited by petranf; Aug 19, 2010 at 02:35 PM.
Aug 21, 2010, 10:14 AM
I see the manual recommends MULTIPLEX Nano Pro MG digi4 servos, but these don't appear to be available in the USA. Anyone know what the best equivalent HiTec, JR, or Futaba would be?
Aug 21, 2010, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
I see the manual recommends MULTIPLEX Nano Pro MG digi4 servos, but these don't appear to be available in the USA. Anyone know what the best equivalent HiTec, JR, or Futaba would be?
Hitec HS-5065MG digital

Jürgen
Aug 21, 2010, 10:59 AM
Failureisalwaysanoption
Quote:
I have put Futaba S3150 in my FJU. They fit almost 100% in the slots in the wings, and work perfectly at high speed
Aug 21, 2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys. I'll have a look at both.
Aug 21, 2010, 12:07 PM
Seaplane submariner
Smoked my HET2w-25 today when trying to push it beyond 120amps on 6s...

Has anyone tried to mount a 36mm diameter inrunner in the Ultra?
Aug 21, 2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeeeeeright View Post

Has anyone tried to mount a 36mm diameter inrunner in the Ultra?
You guys have the luxury of low temperatures.Check this out:
funjet on stereoids by thunb numb
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744411
Aug 21, 2010, 12:20 PM
Seaplane submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by petranf View Post
You guys have the luxury of low temperatures.Check this out:
funjet on stereoids by thunb numb
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744411
Mine were faster until it left the elevons behind on i full-speed pass. We radared it at 167mph on 6s1p220045c lipo, CC Ice 160amp esc and the HET2w25.
Aug 21, 2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Mine were faster until it left the elevons behind on i full-speed pass. We radared it at 167mph on 6s1p220045c lipo, CC Ice 160amp esc and the HET2w25.
God mercy. Why guys you dont install hinges at the elevons with this speed. I was almost killed by this faillure by another guy. Now you know.

The 154mph from the thread i gave you belongs to a guy using a turnigy motor. The fj with the 36mm motor that thumb numb is building, has not flown yet. Test flights are expected this weekend.
Aug 21, 2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfe7 View Post
Anyone tried some kind of a catapult to launch this bird? I don't have access to launch capable club members every day. Could be nice to have some device to launch myself.
Quote:
I'm also interested in any design/plans for a bungee launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petranf View Post
All you need is plastic plumb pipe and fittings. You will find a couple of threads about catapult launch using search engine. Just to get an idea...
Unless you just want to build something, all you need is a short length of tubing or bungee cord, a stake and a suitable hook on your model. I bungee launch an unpowered Multiplex Twinjet and other models for "slope on a rope" flights, with sections of tubing from an old high start.
Aug 21, 2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
What did you expect? It's only rated at 50A for max efficiency.

http://www.wemotec.com/shop/product_...ess-Motor.html
Aug 21, 2010, 06:26 PM
jeeeeeeright,

I would be worried with 100A or close to it when after max power out of that nice HET motor.......but you put 120A in that motor, especially given this airframe's pisssss poor cooling airflow for motors!!!!!

I'm sorry for your loss.

Gryphon
Aug 21, 2010, 11:38 PM
Seaplane submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
jeeeeeeright,

I would be worried with 100A or close to it when after max power out of that nice HET motor.......but you put 120A in that motor, especially given this airframe's pisssss poor cooling airflow for motors!!!!!

I'm sorry for your loss.

Gryphon
I saved the plane. Motor just lost power/magnetism due to heat. Oh and the solder on the plugs melted(!).
I knew it was just a question of time before it could not stand up to the increasing abuse anymore, but as I have a identical replacement motor (with a bent shaft from a unfortunate landing - just need to swap the shafts now) I wanted to see how far it would go.

I just upgraded from the standard FJ to the ultra, and I'm wondering if I should order a cheapo hobbyking 36mm inrunner just to test it. If all is OK I can always exchange it with a better one...

Quick Reply