This thread is privately moderated by haiduk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 15, 2010, 01:34 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP
Build Log

GWS Mustang

Here's some build photos of my newest GWS bird. This one will have flaps, retracts and ailerons without exposed control horns. A three servo wing. I plan to keep it as light as possible, but after hogging all of the foam out near the root of the wing for the retracts and the extra servos I'm afraid the wing will fold. I've added a carbon fiber spar and plan on fiberglassing the wing root to help strengthen it back up.

I decided to add a short length of bamboo to the tips to keep them from snapping off during the first less than perfect landing. I used the Kavan Secret Hinges in the ailerons and customized the stock torque rods to drive the flaps. Again, I added a bit of 1/16" light ply to mount the Kavan hinges to get the strength back where I had to hog the foam out of the wing. I dropped the torque rods in from the top of the wing so the flaps will hinge at the top surface instead of the middle.

This is what I've got done so far. Wing weight at this point is around 4 ounces with all the hardware. I am planning on finishing this plane with ParkLite covering.

Follow the build thread.

** Updates **

Initial Control Surface Tests:
Haiduk's GWS Mustang - Initial Tests (0 min 49 sec)

Maiden Flight Video:
Haiduk's GWS Mustang Maiden Flight (3 min 33 sec)

Second Day of Testing:
GWS Mustang Day 2 (1 min 25 sec)
Last edited by haiduk; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
subscribed.....

Neil
Mar 15, 2010, 11:11 AM
It flies or it dies
Hey it's looking good Mate. Can't wait to see the finished product. I know you like to do your finishes to perfection.

Russ
Mar 16, 2010, 02:15 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP
I spent a few hours working on prepping the wing for covering.

After removing the retracts and the servos I weighed the wing. It comes in right at 98 grams (3.4 ounces). A bit heavier than I expected, but it should be strong enough. Painted the wheel wells. Looks a bit dark, but I think it will look okay after it's covered.

We know that when we use torque rods in EPS foam eventually the foam breaks down and the torque rods develop slop. Not good. Also, it's extremely difficult to get the hinge point of the torque rods exactly in line with the rest of the hinge line. This ultimately results in binding in the control surface. The solution is to allow the torque rod to slide in and out within a tube that is embedded into the control surface. I set the torque rods to the flaps in from the top of the wing.

It took a bit of work, but I got the ailerons slotted to fit the kavan hinge/horns. It all fits together nicely. Not a whole lot of gap in the hinge lines and all four control surfaces are flush with the top of the wing. There is a bit of washout in the ailerons by maybe 1/32" at each tip. Not bad.

The wing is ready to cover with a starting weight of 98 grams. Will see how much weight the covering adds to the wing, hopefully, tomorrow.
Last edited by haiduk; Mar 16, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Mar 16, 2010, 06:57 AM
It flies or it dies
Looks like you're a chess player my friend. No?

Russ
Mar 16, 2010, 08:52 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer
Looks like you're a chess player my friend. No?

Russ
LoL. That's the table cloth I use when building. I really don't care if I get glue/paint on that one.
Mar 17, 2010, 03:25 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP

Bottom of the wing covered

Got the bottom of the wing covered. I wasn't happy with how the white ParkLite was covering. It's just way too thin to hide pen marks or even the spackle for that matter. I ended up using regular UltraKote for the invasion stripes. It's a bit heavier than the ParkLite, but it adds a bit more strength around the retracts.

I will do the gear doors after I get the retracts re-installed. They'll need to be a good fit so there is no binding. I am thinking I will use the plastic lid from a margarine tub to cut the gear doors from. Haven't decided what to use for sure.

I still don't have the top of the wing covered yet so the jury is still out as to how much weight the covering added to the wing. Hopefully I will have enough time tomorrow night to at least get the top of the wing covered, control surfaces hinged, and get the wing completed so I can move onto the fuselage.
Last edited by haiduk; Mar 17, 2010 at 03:32 AM.
Mar 17, 2010, 10:36 AM
It flies or it dies
That looks great Duc. Where the heck are all the others? You'd think they'd want to see this. Your work is immaculate.

Russ
Mar 18, 2010, 02:57 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP

Wing Covered and Controls Hinged

Well, I finished covering the wing. Needs a bit of touch up paint on the Kavan hinges and stars/bars graphics. The verdict is in. ParkLite is very light. The covering job added 8-9 grams to the final weight. With how EPS soaks up paint, I do believe we would be hard pressed to get paints to cover as well and be any lighter. Paint would simply be dead weight where the ParkLite is also adding a considerable amount of tensile strength to the wing. The wing at this point weighs 3.7 ounces.

Dark blue with yellow stripes on top and silver with high contrast invasion stripes on the bottom. Should be easy to see in the air.
Last edited by haiduk; Mar 18, 2010 at 03:10 AM.
Mar 18, 2010, 09:48 AM
It flies or it dies
Hey Mate. Parklite is a paint? Where do you get it?

Russ
Mar 18, 2010, 11:17 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP
ParkLite is an iron on film covering. You can get it at almost all local hobby shops.

It's this stuff
Mar 18, 2010, 12:50 PM
It flies or it dies
Same thing as mono-coat, right?

Russ
Mar 18, 2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer
Same thing as mono-coat, right?

Russ
For the most part, it is a very light weight cousin to monocote,

By the way, I really like the deep blue wing with invasion stripes!
Last edited by HawkerTyphoon; Mar 19, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
Mar 19, 2010, 11:32 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP
Last night I got some work done on the fuselage. Lots of lightening. Lots of hogging of foam. My wood burner/foam cutting tool got a good workout thinning out foam that wasn't needed. I did reinforce the weak areas, in front of the wing, behind the wing, and just fore of the tail. I replaced as much weight as I removed (to within a couple grams).

A note about the battery hatch/canopy. I did extend the hatch forward a a bit to make battery access a bit easier and to give myself more room to lay out the radio gear, speed controller, BEC, etc. I did cut out and fit a firewall from some light ply, but I didn't get photos of that. Next time.
Mar 20, 2010, 03:23 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP

Tail Wheel

I decided to go with a more scale location for the tail wheel. I used an aluminum tube within an aluminum tube for the tail wheel assembly (inspired by the ParkZone Corsair tail wheel assembly). It's supported by some thin ply. The rudder servo drives the tail wheel which in turn will drive the rudder. The tail wheel assembly weighs around 4 grams. It's light, but a bit heavier than the stock set up.

I may get a chance tomorrow evening to get the firewall done and decide where I will mount the ESC and BEC so I can join the fuselage halves and begin softening up the panel lines with a bit of spackle. I still haven't completely decided on how I will latch the canopy/battery hatch.

I didn't weigh the fuselage with the two servos and linkages installed yet. I already know this plane will be a bit heavier than my more stock GWS warbirds. Will see how it turns out. Hopefully it wont be too heavy.
Last edited by haiduk; Mar 20, 2010 at 03:35 AM.

Quick Reply