Sep 24, 2001, 11:15 PM
Thread OP

Ace Simple Series Ultimate Bi-plane: anyone try one? Any powerplant suggestions?

I just recieved one of these kits, and I am considering trying it with e-power. Has anyone ever tried a conversion with this kit? Do you have any brushed powerplant suggestions? I thought maybe a geared 450, but I don't know what gearbox would fit on the 450. What about a direct drive MM? Or would that be too heavy? Any suggstions? I realize I would need to replace much of the ply in the kit with balsa.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Falcore
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2001, 04:44 AM
Got any specs on this plane, ie:weight, wingspan, ect ?

or maybe a link to a web page ?
Sep 25, 2001, 05:59 AM
We have done a conversion on the Ace Ultimate with success. The powerplant that finally worked was a Graupner 480 with a 3,45:1 reduction and a 11 x 7 APC electric prop. It flew on a 7 cell 1000 mah pack, but would recommend 8 cells. The undercarriage had to be bent and larger wheels put on for the prop to clear. It would certainly be to your advantage to remove the ply. We didn't, but it would be a lot lighter.

Hope this helps.
www.racewayhobbies.co.za.

Jonathan
Sep 25, 2001, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Here is a link to one being offered on e-bay. It lists the stats and has a picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1642069760
Nov 24, 2001, 09:24 PM
I have built and am attempting to find the correct motor choice for this airplane, so far I am trying to use a speed 600 motor and 7 cells 1800 milliamp. The first flight got a good rise off the ground in about 20 feet but the plane didn't seem to want to fly. It kind of floundered around before a semi controllable crash into the ground, I recovered it with a small amount of damage that was repairable. I was thinking about using a jeti bushless but I don't know much about these motors.
Nov 24, 2001, 10:08 PM
Several years ago I converted the Ace All Star bipe, which is very similar in size, weight, and shape to the Ultimate. Not knowing any better at the time, I built it with minimum changes, only removing enough wood to make room for the motor. I used a DD Mag.Mayhem, 8x4 prop, and 7 no-name 1400 nicads from Tower. In spite of all these errors in judgement, the plane actually flew quite well, though it needed a runway of very short grass to r.o.g., and hand launches had to be VERY BRISK to get the plane on step, or a snap/stall was the result. Once airborn, it was very responsive, rolls were scary-fast, but vertical was limited by the high wing loading and small prop. It eventually went to that "great hangar in the sky" as the result of an over-enthusiastic loop with too few rubber bands on the top wing. When the wing came off, it hit the fin/rudder, and removed it as well, making the remaining bits a high speed, uncontrolled, lawn dart. It left an impressive crater in the field off the end of the runway. The impact was hard enough to drive the motor shaft out the back of the motor, taking the whole endbell with it. Probably my best crash ever!
Brad.
Jun 03, 2002, 11:54 PM

any others????

im looking at building mine electric wasn planning
on my kontronik bl400/22 modelairtech 2.57/1 belt reduction 8 800 ars i want glow like performance..... im planning on lightening where i can any suggestions?? all input appreciated
p.s. anyone ever weigh theirs?
Last edited by markdam; Jun 03, 2002 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply