May 17, 2010, 08:36 PM
Luvin' Life
Thread OP
Jim,
I just had PM's back and forth with KM. His main points were a stable base for the camera that you attach the cross hair wires to. That way when you mount the camera the cross hairs are aligned every time. I saw a picture of it a while back but I have no idea where.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2010, 08:38 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
Thanks for the input on the glue guys. I have some repairs to do on Mark's Apprentice. I will have to give it a try.

Jay, amazing work you do with those repairs. You are very talented.
May 17, 2010, 08:44 PM
Luvin' Life
Thread OP
Thanks Ivan!

I have had a lot of practice fixing broken planes over the past 20 years. If I had been a better pilot I wouldn't have had to learn so much about the repair process

Blessings
May 17, 2010, 08:55 PM
That looks about right!
Repairs ARE a very important part of the proces Jay. I quickly learned that when I started flying. My first crash came with a 40 size trainer I had. About a month after soloing, I went with some friends to a fly in at a local grass strip airport. Wide open as far as you can see. There was a tree line on the opposite side of the runway, about 150 yards from where we were flying. When setting up for lnding, I got too far out and hung it in the trees about 100 feet up! Took the farmer next door with a cherry picker and a 30 foot pole to get it back for me It was during the repair of it that I fell in love with building them. A Great Planes Cherokee was my first kit, then a Sig Mid star. 2 Dynaflite Decathlons came after that. I haven't built one since though. Not enough time for building or flying them. That's why these foamys attract me. Nicely detailed and easily repairable. Should I ever get back to serious flying, I will build the Top Filte P47 giant scale with retracts. Of course I will convert it to a Razorback. That's way in the future though.

Jim
May 17, 2010, 08:58 PM
That looks about right!
No problem on the cross hair idea. I'll try some searching here and see. Would really like a good igital video cam for doing these but can't see that anytime soon.

Rick- Where are you ole buddy? Drop in and say hello to us soon so we know you are still flying!
May 17, 2010, 10:07 PM
"To Hover is Divine"

Sorry I'm getting in a little late

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and just wanted to drop in. Many moons ago, my first heli was a Vario Benzin Trainer......I know...! It was a gift from my late parents. By the grace of God, I actually learned to hover and start doing figure 8's over a few months.

One calm cool afternoon while doing a new trim setting, ( I had installed a pair of new tail rotor blades), she was rock solid in a 2' hover...then BAM.. it just disappeared from my sight line. Lord, I didn't know what happened..all I finally saw was this crumpled mess on the ground with the engine on a fast idle. After I shut it off and the shock settled a bit.....I discovered a main rotor blade grip failed. The next day I called Vario and asked if they've ever had that happen.....of course they said no....but several folks have told me the they have heard of it happening. Well needless to say, I couldn't afford to replace it so I left the hobby for a few years, and now I'm itching to get back in.

Since I'm "retired" now, I've been looking at E Flight's new SR Blade electric w/ collective....when it becomes available from Hobby Lobby. I saw a video and it looks like a real stable rig. I love scale and any 3D I've done has been by pure accident. :O)

Thanks for letting me rattle.
May 17, 2010, 10:44 PM
Got Helis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterKid77
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and just wanted to drop in. Many moons ago, my first heli was a Vario Benzin Trainer......I know...! It was a gift from my late parents. By the grace of God, I actually learned to hover and start doing figure 8's over a few months.

One calm cool afternoon while doing a new trim setting, ( I had installed a pair of new tail rotor blades), she was rock solid in a 2' hover...then BAM.. it just disappeared from my sight line. Lord, I didn't know what happened..all I finally saw was this crumpled mess on the ground with the engine on a fast idle. After I shut it off and the shock settled a bit.....I discovered a main rotor blade grip failed. The next day I called Vario and asked if they've ever had that happen.....of course they said no....but several folks have told me the they have heard of it happening. Well needless to say, I couldn't afford to replace it so I left the hobby for a few years, and now I'm itching to get back in.

Since I'm "retired" now, I've been looking at E Flight's new SR Blade electric w/ collective....when it becomes available from Hobby Lobby. I saw a video and it looks like a real stable rig. I love scale and any 3D I've done has been by pure accident. :O)

Thanks for letting me rattle.

Hey, CopterKid77,

First off, welcome aboard. Lot's of great guys here, willing to help ya out.
I'm "Retired" too, Lol! I'm the curious one, what's your first name?

Heli choices are always a personal preference, there are soooo many out there to take into consideration. Check around at other vendors for the Blade SR. Love the rattling on, it gives us all a new learning experience.

Example:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/E...FQ8MDQodTH3t2A

Dave
May 17, 2010, 10:51 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Hey, thanks Dave...looking forward to chatting as often as I can here. They call me Barry on a good day. :O)

Man, your so spot on...there is a ton of helis to pick from. I've been away for a long time....and a lot has changed.

I really like scale flying and as you probably know, it takes a lot of "restraint" to do so....and boy do I need a lot of restraint.!!

Again, I appreciate the welcome Dave.

TTYS
Barry
May 17, 2010, 11:04 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
Hi Barry. Welcome to the BOBs.

Ivan
May 18, 2010, 08:06 AM
"To Hover is Divine"
Thanks Ivan......hope I can bring something to the table.

Barry

OH, and thanks for the link Dave....yep, that's the one.
Last edited by CopterKid77; May 18, 2010 at 09:00 AM.
May 18, 2010, 10:04 AM
That looks about right!
Hey Barry- welcome to our little corner of rcgroups! We are a lite hearted bunch and love to help each other. Think you will like it here so enjoy your stay!

Jim
May 18, 2010, 10:43 AM
"To Hover is Divine"
Thanks Jim.....I'm sure I will. Hopefully here's a pic of BT....or what she used to look like.!

Barry
May 18, 2010, 04:39 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterKid77
Thanks Jim.....I'm sure I will. Hopefully here's a pic of BT....or what she used to look like.!

Barry
Looks like a space ship...LOL. Hey...welcome aboard from me as well.

Update the EXI-450 Pro Carbon Fiber shaft edition: Heard a funny growling noise, landed it. Of course being in the 206 fuse, take it apart. I found the oneway bearings locked SOLID, and the sleeve that connects upper and lower gears was scored pretty decient. The sleeve...a file and 180g sand paper in a drill press cleaned it right up. I had a slightly used Align one way bearing in the parts drawer.....it was flying again in 45 minuets. Still quite WINDY, not much flying going on round here.

Vic
May 18, 2010, 04:42 PM
Luvin' Life
Thread OP
Hey Barry,
That is an awesome looking copter! I'm betting it will be like riding a bike for you. Technology has made leaps and bounds making heli's much more "user friendly".
The SR looks to be a great heli. My buddy picked one up and he has had a lot of fun with it.

Welcome to the group!

Blessings,

Jay
May 18, 2010, 04:48 PM
I meant to do that!
Barry

Welcome to the group! We have ALOT of experience here not just helis but even some with giant scale planes. If you need help ask we will try to answer it or Dave will find it with help from his connections

Kyle

Quick Reply