This thread is privately moderated by RCPC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 12, 2010, 08:22 PM
Throw it like you hate it
Thread OP
Yippee!

DLGs have taken to the air!

So, I have been feverishly getting my DLGs together. So far I have built both the Twisters and the Sirius. The LS is on the table next but I need a little break...my fingers can't handle being glued to each other again, and again, and again.

So the first plane to be finished was the orange Twister. Wow! This plane rocks compared to my well-loved LH VI. When I threw the Twister for the first time all I could think was, "this plane feels like one piece." My LH was getting soft over time and I could really feel the difference on launch. The Twister launches much higher, flies faster, but can float ALMOST as well as the LH. I love the Twister! The first time out with it I felt like I had been flying it for years. It has no bad tendencies, and behaves really well. It climbs out nicely and ranges really well. I was amazed at how many more options opened up when I could launch higher and run faster.

The bad news: The orange Twister had a midair in its first contest and on the second round. The good news: A little but of CA and it is strong as new again. It still flies great and I can throw it as hard as I want.

The green Twister was finished second but was delayed just a bit due to a minor delam on the TE of the aileron. The first time out it was just like the orange Twister. Flew great and launched great! Absolutely NO complaints from me.

The Orange Twister did have some flutter issues on launch, but once I sealed the hinge gap on the wing, it quieted down.

The Sirius was the third plane to roll of the table, and not too long after the Twisters. I think I had the Sirius done a few weeks later. The Sirius build was straight-forward and actually quite pleasant. I beefed up the wing some subribs to reduce the onset of flutter. I used 1.5mm music wire for the pushrods. The wing did not flutter! I was happy. It is also a lot easier when you only need to deal with one servo in the pod. I had a lot more room to deal with compared to the Twisters.

The Sirius flew really well. It ran and climbed just fine, but there was something about the weight of the plane that didn't jive with me. It came out about an ounce heavier than my Twisters at 10.5oz but I couldn't throw it even close to as high as my Twisters. I flew the Sirius for a couple weeks putting about 5hours on it but just couldn't seem to agree with it. I realized my Twisters and I connected instantly and that the Sirius would not likely see a competition. It was getting too close to the contest season to still be picking a plane to fly. I needed to pick a plane and marry it, the Twisters won, so I sold the Sirius. I didn't really want a nice moldie to be a practice ship. That's just stupid. I sold it a little while ago (have some regrets) but am happy to know where it is living and will very likely see it again...and possibly get beaten by it

All in all,the Twisters win my vote. I need to finish the LS and get some time on it before Poway. I need a bagged plane for contests. Having two midairs with the two Twisters in a two-day is not out of the question, so I need a backup that will always be there. Ok that's it for now. Enjoy the picture and video of the Twister launching. The video isn't great but at least it's something. That plane really kicks butt!

(0 min 27 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2010, 10:35 PM
Build, fly, crash. Repeat.
Well exqueeze me for the bad video!

By the way, when are you going to put up a review of the Blaster? Preferably about all the assembly tricks/enhancements you made - I'm buying one as soon as I've moved, and I wanna know how to do it right.

Quick Reply