Mar 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Duratrax DX450 VS. Venom VMX 450

Here is my concern. I along with others jumped head first into the Duratrax camp and bought the DX 450.

I'm starting to worry that there are so many members waiting for the Venom VMX 450 that the DX 450 is being left in the dust i.e. future hop ups will be far and few in between.

Just in general there is very little to no chatter about the DX 450. But as for the VMX 450 you can just feel the anticipation building! Even Hoverboy is in line for one!

So what are your thoughts?

Who is waiting? Who is buying both? Who bought what?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2010, 11:58 AM
Ill be buying one, seeing no one at my LHS runs any motos, i have to start it myself, off road and on road. Ill be buying the sb-5, and the VMX this year around the same time. I want to Motard the Venom mostly though, ill have both tire on hand.
Mar 12, 2010, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 621clay
Ill be buying one, seeing no one at my LHS runs any motos, i have to start it myself, off road and on road. Ill be buying the sb-5, and the VMX this year around the same time. I want to Motard the Venom mostly though, ill have both tire on hand.
My thoughts exactlly!!!!...The bikes are really starting to take off. I wonder if Accociated, Losi, etc. are watching.
Last edited by dragbikebam; Mar 12, 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Mar 12, 2010, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
See this worries me I think I bought to soon! Even though I do luv this bike!
Mar 12, 2010, 02:19 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
I love the 2 DTX's I've got, super smooth drifting on the hard pack sandy roads and very stable on the grassy fields and very good on carpet too. And VERY reliable.
But the VMX looks like it might be good too. Just looking at the hardware That the VMX comes with standard, like the Alloy forks, The slipper clutch, the beadlock rims, the real knobby tires with foam inserts, and the traction control adjustment, I think this is a winner on paper. My only worry is the placment of the battery vertical in the chassis. the Duratrax's battery is carried lower, seems like a better CofG helping with the stableness of the DTX.
Hopfully the weight of this bigger bike won't cause us problems with run times and extra loads on our batteries and ESC's, considering what us Helicopter boys have gone thru with battery developement, the last 3 years with the big electric choppers. I'm gonna let the Experts get the scoop and let us know what they think. Just wait and see I guess.
Mar 12, 2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
See this worries me I think I bought to soon! Even though I do luv this bike!
I'm with topdave on this, let the experts get it and see what they have to say. That will help me decide whether to get one.

I'm looking forward to seeing it run though!!
Mar 12, 2010, 03:03 PM
Bruce
You are not serious unless you have at least one of every bike out there.
Mar 12, 2010, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
I just popped a wheelie!

Ok I really, really love this bike! I'm stock all around! I just gunned it and the front wheel went up and the bike came to rest on the rear fender! Darn it. Now it's cracked, but I did a wheelie!

LOL
Mar 12, 2010, 03:32 PM
Inciting Riots
Drive it and have fun, when something better comes out that you need, sell it, shelve it, or run it into a wreck.

Almost able to try and get my road bike back out and try to learn to run it.
Mar 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
VI You have always been my voice of reason! Rock ON DUDE!!!
Mar 12, 2010, 06:23 PM
i have the DX450, and still plan to get a 2nd one.

i also plan on getting the VMX as well. i really like the DX right now, its my first bike, and ive done some pretty extensive mods already. thus why i need a 2nd one i can leave fully stock so i can compare my mod work lol...

but i like it, handles well, and runs pretty good.
the VMX being bigger, will be a bit of a different kritter. so imo, you cant really compare them other than they are bikes with similar features. but still quite different of each other. just the size differance is pretty notable.

i dont think the battery placement/orientation on the VMX is a problem. even in an upward positon, the cog is still quite low. also due to the larger bike, with its natural weight increase, this will further negate much of the upwards battery weight, even when turning. As the bike tilts in a turn, the weight of the pack sifts sideways, but the inertia of the corner will then be pulling the battery pack to the folcrum point of the turn. so even thou the pack may be pivoting to the lateral plane in a turn, the inertia of the turn will help transer that weight towards the bottom of the bike.
Mar 12, 2010, 06:28 PM
kun114
I was all set to buy two DX450's, so my son and I could play together. I checked out the threads on here and the cool upgrades at 2wheel. For some reason I just never hit the order button.
One day I got on here and saw the Venom thread. Wow, the Venom comes standard with some aluminum parts that are options for the DX450 and it's bigger, so I was sold. Few days later while I was at the LHS I had them do a preorder for me.
I figure all the guys that make up grades for the current bikes will find goodies to make for VMX. I just hate to have to wait for it to be released.
Mar 12, 2010, 07:29 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
I waited on the DX450 because the lack of cash at the time, and the non-scale looks... and when I saw it "perform" I figured I'd see what was going to happen after the big toy shows... then the VMX450 reared it's head... I, personally, am glad I waited... now at least I have a choice... but I'm waiting for video of the VMX450 to help me put the nail in the coffin....

I"m getting the SB5, and the VMX450, and I think I'll be set

@Bruce... so I guess I'm not hardcore enough for you as I've missed a couple of bikes.... I'm sad now..
Mar 12, 2010, 07:32 PM
what you get for the money with venom is a good deal and i just want to see it run and handle before i buy one
Mar 12, 2010, 07:40 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
true... for the same price as the DX450, you're getting a bigger bike, aluminum hop ups, brushless motor, the option to run a front brake, scale looks, beadlocks, "real" tires with foam inserts, 2.4ghz, nicely spoked wheels, and a durable, more realistic-looking rider (if it's the same stuff that the GPV-1's rider is made of)

and if the bigger wheel equals a bigger gyro, then along with the foam rider, you also get more stability, yet the battery is mounted high up so that might help it's "flickability"... and it has direct steering like the road bikes we've come to know and love... yes, on paper, it sounds wonderful.... but without video, it will be heard to plop down my hard-earned $350.... the performance I've seen from the DX450 on our secret, not-so-secret, indoor off-road testing facility, wouldn't necessarily make me run out and get one of them... especially now with thew VMX450 looming in the distance

Quick Reply