Feb 11, 2013, 12:18 AM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
Olmod - Thanks - I'll give them a shot! http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=lfd1u7 $4.82 sounds very reasonable for a 10 pack of -223 Silicon
O-rings! The other sizes are on the same page as well. ~ Robin
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2013, 04:27 AM
Aus
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Robin, I may have missed it, but what happened to your beautiful FunCub?
Feb 11, 2013, 01:40 PM
youtube.com/seafax

my twin engine Funcub conversion

Mulitpex Funcub twin-engine mod (6 min 11 sec)

Col.
Feb 11, 2013, 02:00 PM
youtube.com/seafax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89
I have a funcub & a gopro2....please show what other parts are needed...did you use the gopro feed to fly the plane? if so..the live feed was fast enough to fly by?? I would love to FOV...but think the cost to do so would be too high for my wallet.

Pat
Yes, I flown from the feed of the original GoPro HD (v 1) on both the Funcub and a considerably faster 48" Zagi. Many people claim to have noticed a delay with live feed from GoPros but if there is one I honestly can't say I've ever noticed it it.

Col.
Feb 11, 2013, 02:03 PM
youtube.com/seafax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN
Funcup towing a scratchbuild 3,8 meter 6,8 kg Giga Wiesel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7TWg5yQ6NI

Cheers
S
Good grief. Now THAT'S impressive! :-)

Col.
Feb 11, 2013, 02:07 PM
youtube.com/seafax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy
Watching it in flight, it reminds me of the WWII seaplanes. A little work and that would be cool.

A spetacular venue too. Is Cumb short for Cumbria? My wife is Welsh and I wanted to tell her where it is when I show her the video.
Cheers. Yes, Walney Island (where I live) is part of Barrow in Furness, in the county of Cumbria.

Col.
Last edited by WalneyCol; Feb 11, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Feb 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks
Not quite sure I understand what you are trying to say. Here I sit, in Canada, reading this thread, or any other I choose too read. We have an RCCanada, a whole forum similar to RCGroups, but naturally smaller, in Canada. And I have a Funcub in the other room and have seen numerous other ones at the field. So what exactly are there none of? LYAO at what?

I do agree that to say the group has gone down the tubes is quite an overstatement. I found the Funcub twin to be really interesting, the Funcub (not Funcup ) towing that near four meter monster totally amazing and that flappy winged bug very amusing. So what's wrong? I don't see it.

BTW, I am both an American (for 70 years) and a Canadian, so I am not just jumping up to defend my country. Both the US and Canada are 'my country'. And I faithfully sing both anthems at a hockey game.

Gord
Thats what i thought about your post about this thread it confused me too . I have many friends in Canada but most of them would not post what you did . I did not mean to upset any others up north and i talk to many great model builders there via email including Ivan himself . joe
Feb 11, 2013, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalneyCol
Yes, I flown from the feed of the original GoPro HD (v 1) on both the Funcub and a considerably faster 48" Zagi. Many people claim to have noticed a delay with live feed from GoPros but if there is one I honestly can't say I've ever noticed it it.

Col.
I see the box with antena on the side of your cool twin cub ( looks like it plugs into your gopro...could you post what it is and what all you need/used for the camera/video stuff too? Thanks Nice video on the twin too.
Feb 11, 2013, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalneyCol
Creative way to save most of your Funcub. Great job. Looks like you have the motors set up rotating opposite directions. True? And did you worry about thrust angles or just drill from the LE to the spar and take what that gave you? I suppose moving the motors that far back got rid of the nose heavy tendency of the Funcub. Might even need nose weight to balance it.
Feb 11, 2013, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus
Robin, I may have missed it, but what happened to your beautiful FunCub?
I kinda strained her through an oak tree (from the top down)!
Actually my decision to go with the late paint scheme (black wings and horz. stab.) was probably it's undoing. She was in a climbing left hand turn and it flew in between me and the mountain and the wings just 'disappeared' against the terrain, I didn't didn't even realize she was rolling until I saw the vertical fin pointing down! I punched it and pushed over to get some altitude but she stalled.

I looked her over, all of the front end work held up fairly good, but the fuse blew out just aft of the doublers! I also tore off a flap and dented a wing but there isn't a scratch on the aft fuselage / tail!

She's probably rebuildable but after all that work I'm just not ready to get that deep into it just yet. So I've got a Flyzone Beaver (sorry) on the way and I'm just about ready to order FunCub No. 2 (I've got plans for her)! ~ Robin

PS - And yes there was a keychain camera along for that last flight!
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added PS
Feb 11, 2013, 09:32 PM
Given WalneyCol's success with his twin FunCub, maybe its time to revisit this idea! ~ Robin

For more photo's see post 12325 on pg 822
Feb 12, 2013, 05:08 AM
youtube.com/seafax
Quote:
Creative way to save most of your Funcub. Great job. Looks like you have the motors set up rotating opposite directions. True? And did you worry about thrust angles or just drill from the LE to the spar and take what that gave you? I suppose moving the motors that far back got rid of the nose heavy tendency of the Funcub. Might even need nose weight to balance it.
Yes the props rotate in opposite directions. The motors were straight off a quad copter so I already had the counter rotating prop. I didn't bother using 2 channels and a rudder mix to make the motors run at different speeds but that might be something else you could try as it gives amazing handling characteristics.

As for drilling the holes... they're parallel with the bottom of the wing and it doesn't appear to matter what speed I'm doing the plane's attitude stays as it is.

Col.
Feb 12, 2013, 05:21 AM
youtube.com/seafax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89
I see the box with antena on the side of your cool twin cub ( looks like it plugs into your gopro...could you post what it is and what all you need/used for the camera/video stuff too? Thanks Nice video on the twin too.
The box on the side is a video transmitter. It's fed 12v from the lipo charge socket and plugs into the side of the gopro sending it's video feed down to the ground.

On the ground you'll need a video receiver to match the transmitter, a monitor (or video goggles), and a source of power for them which is usually a lipo.

That's all you need for a basic setup.

Col.
Feb 12, 2013, 05:51 AM
Quote:
My cub has no nose heavy tendencies.
Feb 12, 2013, 05:31 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
Just a few pics of my maiden flight. Ordered me a set of E-flite Cub 25 wing struts today, still figuring a better gear setup that's still simple. I think the hair band is OK, but need a back brace. Dave/zeezee

Quick Reply