Thread Tools
Oct 11, 2012, 10:26 PM
Registered User
I would like to use waterproof aileron & flaps servos in my FC with floats, can someone tell me whether or not this Traxxas waterproof servo appears to be adequate: http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/traxxas/2065

Thank you!
Last edited by itsme2; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2012, 11:04 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
knifeedge63's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2
I would like to use waterproof aileron & flaps servos in my FC with floats, can someone tell me whether or not this Traxxas waterproof servo appears to be adequate: http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/traxxas/2065

Thank you!
hmmm might work.. the thing is, they are on the heavy side for a servo of that size. plus they are kinda slow servos... (thats a personal opinion... i like fast servos.) but really it is a slow servo comparably to say, an hs-55 or HXT-900. plus why do you want water proof servos? you dont need them at all. I just covered over the servos with some tape. that works, and keeps em from too much harm.
Last edited by knifeedge63; Oct 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Oct 11, 2012, 11:21 PM
Heli's rule!
dacaur's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2
I would like to use waterproof aileron & flaps servos in my FC with floats, can someone tell me whether or not this Traxxas waterproof servo appears to be adequate: http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/traxxas/2065

Thank you!
Should work. I agree its a little on the slow side, but the fun cub isnt exactly a quick reflexes plane anyway, right? The price makes will cringe though... IMO , its easy enough to waterproof a standard servo with some silicon and grease....
Oct 11, 2012, 11:32 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
knifeedge63's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
IMO , its easy enough to waterproof a standard servo with some silicon and grease....
+1

But in all seriousness, dont worry at all about waterproofing the servos. they dont care. its not like they are getting dunked and held under water. they are just getting water spray.. they will be fine. but if the insurance of water proof servos makes you feel better. just get some silicon caulk and run it around the servo after its glued in (making sure not to get it near the control arm! ). then just slap some packing tape over the servos and BAM you got your self some extremely water resistant servos. dont go and spend all that extra money on those traxxas servos. just do it your self on some HS-55's or HXT-900's or whatever you plan on using.
Good luck!!

-Colin
Oct 12, 2012, 07:06 AM
Registered User
With a cg slightly forward or equal to 70 mm I "feel" like it is a little too nose heavy. Can some of you chip in your experiences with moving back some and how much?
Oct 12, 2012, 07:10 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
ltc's Avatar
Hitec offered some waterproof servos (2 different ones) ... Actually work while completely immersed

http://www.robotshop.com/blog/waterp...h-rejoice-1001

Ace also offers one
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBZBX&P=FR

As does Turnigy
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1407810...Types&var=sbar

However, I would suggest purchasing a set of Gary's servo covers for the Fun Cub, combined with some conventional (HS-55 or equiv) servos, perhaps with some silicone applied to the case seams if you feel it is necessary.

http://morganmill.com/RC/FunCub_Parts.html
Oct 12, 2012, 08:13 AM
GLM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc
Hitec offered some waterproof servos (2 different ones) ... Actually work while completely immersed

http://www.robotshop.com/blog/waterp...h-rejoice-1001

Ace also offers one
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBZBX&P=FR

As does Turnigy
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1407810...Types&var=sbar

However, I would suggest purchasing a set of Gary's servo covers for the Fun Cub, combined with some conventional (HS-55 or equiv) servos, perhaps with some silicone applied to the case seams if you feel it is necessary.

http://morganmill.com/RC/FunCub_Parts.html
Thanks for the link Itc,

Every little bit helps. The appreciation however - is huge!

Cheers!

Gary
Oct 12, 2012, 08:26 AM
Registered User
I'm fairly new to assembling foam models. I'm putting a FC together with floats. What is the best method to mount the servos in the wing, double sided tape (which brand), silicone or?

Thank you!
Oct 12, 2012, 08:33 AM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
What is the lightest motor/prop that will offer decent performance?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Oct 12, 2012, 08:40 AM
GLM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2
I'm fairly new to assembling foam models. I'm putting a FC together with floats. What is the best method to mount the servos in the wing, double sided tape (which brand), silicone or?

Thank you!
Hi Itsme,

You are on the right track - tape around the servo and then hot glue it in the wing. Alcohol will debond the hot glue if you ever need to remove and replace it. Tape removes from the servo.

Cheers!

Gary
Oct 12, 2012, 08:49 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM
Hi Itsme,

You are on the right track - tape around the servo and then hot glue it in the wing. Alcohol will debond the hot glue if you ever need to remove and replace it. Tape removes from the servo.

Cheers!

Gary
Gary,

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "tape around the servo", please explain?

Thank you!
Oct 12, 2012, 08:52 AM
There is Victory in the Lord!
knifeedge63's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2
Gary,

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "tape around the servo", please explain?

Thank you!
wrap the servo in tape, then put the glue on the tape, which is on the servo, then just stick the servo in.
Last edited by knifeedge63; Oct 12, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: misspelling
Oct 12, 2012, 08:58 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
ltc's Avatar
Speaking of hot melt glue, I have always been conservative and used low temp hot melt glue (I know, low temp hot melt...it's like jumbo shrimp; doesn't sound right) on Elapor (and Depron)

Is high tempo/standard hot melt OK for Elapor ?

Also, for those who use CA to mount servos, use caution. You would be surprised where too much (thin) CA can go ... I've heard of servo cases being glued together and glue getting into gears and servo bearings/bushings....
Oct 12, 2012, 09:00 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63
wrap the servo in tape, then put the glue on the tape, which is on the servo, then just stick the servo in.
Wow, thanks for the clear explanation! Is the tape you use packing tape?
Oct 12, 2012, 09:01 AM
There is Victory in the Lord!
knifeedge63's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2
Wow, thanks for the clear explanation! Is the tape you use packing tape?
Nope just some good sticky painters tape will do. and make sure to wrap around the servos a few times.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fun Cub sinowace Hitec/Multiplex USA 14 Oct 09, 2011 04:43 PM
Discussion Multiplex Fun Jet at the lake bah7566 FPV Talk 31 Jan 03, 2010 09:19 AM
For Sale Multiplex Fun Jet -- PRICE DROP Toby W Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 28, 2009 09:51 AM
Video Multiplex Fun Jet FPV set up test bah7566 Electric Plane Talk 0 Dec 25, 2009 10:05 PM
Wanted multiplex fun-jet or trade! heli123 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 14, 2009 11:02 AM