Thread Tools
Sep 02, 2012, 02:40 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
knifeedge63's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60
Dome78 .
I imagine with the way things are going its just a matter of time before we see Vortex Generators on a FunCub! ~ Robin
Yeah! mine already has them on it! THEY WORK GREAT! its a set of carbon fiber ones from a PA (precision aerobatics) Bandit 3D.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2012, 03:53 PM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
cubcrafter60's Avatar
knifeedge63 - Seriously? Can you post a pic or two of them? I've spent the last couple of hours surfing trying to find info on size, placement, etc. Did you notice any benifit on a plane this size? ~ Robin
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Sep 02, 2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: rephrased a question
Sep 02, 2012, 05:01 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
D.B. Hooper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63
Yeah! mine already has them on it! THEY WORK GREAT! its a set of carbon fiber ones from a PA (precision aerobatics) Bandit 3D.
Was thinking of the same thing. I have 3 PA planes with vortex generators they work great. For me the Fun Cub flys super slow with the flaps deployed.
D.B. Hooper
Sep 02, 2012, 05:39 PM
Will it ever Fly?
Flybynight2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63
Yeah! mine already has them on it! THEY WORK GREAT! its a set of carbon fiber ones from a PA (precision aerobatics) Bandit 3D.
Yes, I would like to see a Pic of your plane with them on.
Sep 02, 2012, 07:53 PM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
cubcrafter60's Avatar

Got Rocks - FunCub nearing completion!


Hi all, when I’m not reading or posting on this thread or updating my blog, I actually do get something accomplished!
May I introduce my ‘slightly’ modified FunCub “Got Rocks”. She was rebuilt from my Green and white ‘N460RV’ after a serious case of dumb thumbs. She’s modeled after an actual aircraft owned and flown by Greg Miller (basically a homebuilt Super Cub, with several ‘Bush’ modifications incorporated). It competed in several of the Valdez, AK. Bush pilot competitions and there are a few YouTube videos of her “off airport” adventures as well, unfortunately she was lost in a take-off accident (no fatalities) in January 2011. It’s taken awhile, and there’s still a bit to do (no, she won’t have a pink cowl) but I hope to remaiden her within the next two to three weeks!
Features:
  • Carbon Fiber tube & wood dowel aft fuselage truss.
  • Carbon Fiber tail braces.
  • Boxed in forward fuselage with firewall mount, I did this before Gary introduced his stiffener kit otherwise I would have used his. (I did however; order one for my next FunCub!)
  • Cublandinggear.com - FunCub Landing Gear.
  • Ram - Xenon strobes (the red anti-collision light on top of the wing is the on/off switch).
  • Homemade fiber glass cowl (in work).
  • Pull- pull rudder cable system and elevator push-pull cable (running thru the top right longeron).
  • When flying without the turtle deck - the cabin blanking plate will have a mount for a aft facing HD 808 #11 camera.

There's a complete rebuild log on my blog if anyone's curious about the construction or how some thing was done - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=365988 ~ Robin
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Sep 02, 2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: punctuation
Sep 02, 2012, 08:08 PM
sponsored by labor
Brian Chitty's Avatar
Fun Cub makes a great FPV plane. Here is an easy way to get live video from your GoPro2. I've been flying with this for awhile. simple solution without all the bulky wires.

Video:
Live Video Out of GoPro Hero 1 or 2! (4 min 24 sec)


they're sold here:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1091

happy flights!
Sep 03, 2012, 03:30 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60
Hi all, when I’m not reading or posting on this thread or updating my blog, I actually do get something accomplished!
May I introduce my ‘slightly’ modified FunCub “Got Rocks”. She was rebuilt from my Green and white ‘N460RV’ after a serious case of dumb thumbs. She’s modeled after an actual aircraft owned and flown by Greg Miller (basically a homebuilt Super Cub, with several ‘Bush’ modifications incorporated). It competed in several of the Valdez, AK. Bush pilot competitions and there are a few YouTube videos of her “off airport” adventures as well, unfortunately she was lost in a take-off accident (no fatalities) in January 2011. It’s taken awhile, and there’s still a bit to do (no, she won’t have a pink cowl) but I hope to remaiden her within the next two to three weeks!
Features:
  • Carbon Fiber tube & wood dowel aft fuselage truss.
  • Carbon Fiber tail braces.
  • Boxed in forward fuselage with firewall mount, I did this before Gary introduced his stiffener kit otherwise I would have used his. (I did however; order one for my next FunCub!)
  • Cublandinggear.com - FunCub Landing Gear.
  • Ram - Xenon strobes (the red anti-collision light on top of the wing is the on/off switch).
  • Homemade fiber glass cowl (in work).
  • Pull- pull rudder cable system and elevator push-pull cable (running thru the top right longeron).
  • When flying without the turtle deck - the cabin blanking plate will have a mount for a aft facing HD 808 #11 camera.

There's a complete rebuild log on my blog if anyone's curious about the construction or how some thing was done - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=365988 ~ Robin
Robin,
That is brilliant.
Amazing what you have managed to do with a stock foamie.
Tony
Sep 03, 2012, 03:52 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60
Hi all, when I’m not reading or posting on this thread or updating my blog, I actually do get something accomplished!
May I introduce my ‘slightly’ modified FunCub “Got Rocks”. She was rebuilt from my Green and white ‘N460RV’ after a serious case of dumb thumbs. She’s modeled after an actual aircraft owned and flown by Greg Miller (basically a homebuilt Super Cub, with several ‘Bush’ modifications incorporated). It competed in several of the Valdez, AK. Bush pilot competitions and there are a few YouTube videos of her “off airport” adventures as well, unfortunately she was lost in a take-off accident (no fatalities) in January 2011. It’s taken awhile, and there’s still a bit to do (no, she won’t have a pink cowl) but I hope to remaiden her within the next two to three weeks!
Features:
  • Carbon Fiber tube & wood dowel aft fuselage truss.
  • Carbon Fiber tail braces.
  • Boxed in forward fuselage with firewall mount, I did this before Gary introduced his stiffener kit otherwise I would have used his. (I did however; order one for my next FunCub!)
  • Cublandinggear.com - FunCub Landing Gear.
  • Ram - Xenon strobes (the red anti-collision light on top of the wing is the on/off switch).
  • Homemade fiber glass cowl (in work).
  • Pull- pull rudder cable system and elevator push-pull cable (running thru the top right longeron).
  • When flying without the turtle deck - the cabin blanking plate will have a mount for a aft facing HD 808 #11 camera.

There's a complete rebuild log on my blog if anyone's curious about the construction or how some thing was done - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=365988 ~ Robin
That is AMAZING!!! Good work mate!
Sep 03, 2012, 06:09 AM
Complete the Illusion!
35Mhz's Avatar

Battery Retention


I am struggling to get a battery retention system that work.

I use 2200 and 3000 MAH batteries with self adhesive velco.

The problem getting the velcro to stay stuck to the foam and not pull off with removing the battery.

I have tries, self adhesive velcro, including using my heavy duty double sided tape (which works fine elsewhere!!).

Superglueing the Velcro

Spray gluing the velcro

Result is always the same, will not stay stuck to the foam
Sep 03, 2012, 06:18 AM
Aus
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Aus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Mhz
I am struggling to get a battery retention system that work.

I use 2200 and 3000 MAH batteries with self adhesive velco.

The problem getting the velcro to stay stuck to the foam and not pull off with removing the battery.

I have tries, self adhesive velcro, including using my heavy duty double sided tape (which works fine elsewhere!!).

Superglueing the Velcro

Spray gluing the velcro

Result is always the same, will not stay stuck to the foam
The best velcro you can buy period (well, IMHO) is from HobbyKing. It sticks to absolutely anything and stays stuck. Highly recommended.

And as a bonus it is very cheap (plus postage) and in stock .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9374

http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy...STRONG#catalog
Sep 03, 2012, 07:33 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Mhz
I am struggling to get a battery retention system that work.

I use 2200 and 3000 MAH batteries with self adhesive velco.

The problem getting the velcro to stay stuck to the foam and not pull off with removing the battery.

I have tries, self adhesive velcro, including using my heavy duty double sided tape (which works fine elsewhere!!).

Superglueing the Velcro

Spray gluing the velcro

Result is always the same, will not stay stuck to the foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus
The best velcro you can buy period (well, IMHO) is from HobbyKing. It sticks to absolutely anything and stays stuck. Highly recommended.

And as a bonus it is very cheap (plus postage) and in stock .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9374

http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy...STRONG#catalog
I have started using something like the Heli guys use - I have some double sided velcro (used for wiring in comms racks) it is thin but works well. I glue it to the bottom and the sides of the battery bay and leave enough on the top to fold over the battery. It is sort of like a U that you lap the top over to form an 0. Because you are just undoing the top to remove the battery there is no tearing away from the fuse.
Sep 03, 2012, 07:56 AM
GLM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60
Hi all, when I’m not reading or posting on this thread or updating my blog, I actually do get something accomplished!
May I introduce my ‘slightly’ modified FunCub “Got Rocks”. She was rebuilt from my Green and white ‘N460RV’ after a serious case of dumb thumbs. She’s modeled after an actual aircraft owned and flown by Greg Miller (basically a homebuilt Super Cub, with several ‘Bush’ modifications incorporated). It competed in several of the Valdez, AK. Bush pilot competitions and there are a few YouTube videos of her “off airport” adventures as well, unfortunately she was lost in a take-off accident (no fatalities) in January 2011. It’s taken awhile, and there’s still a bit to do (no, she won’t have a pink cowl) but I hope to remaiden her within the next two to three weeks!
Features:
  • Carbon Fiber tube & wood dowel aft fuselage truss.
  • Carbon Fiber tail braces.
  • Boxed in forward fuselage with firewall mount, I did this before Gary introduced his stiffener kit otherwise I would have used his. (I did however; order one for my next FunCub!)
  • Cublandinggear.com - FunCub Landing Gear.
  • Ram - Xenon strobes (the red anti-collision light on top of the wing is the on/off switch).
  • Homemade fiber glass cowl (in work).
  • Pull- pull rudder cable system and elevator push-pull cable (running thru the top right longeron).
  • When flying without the turtle deck - the cabin blanking plate will have a mount for a aft facing HD 808 #11 camera.

There's a complete rebuild log on my blog if anyone's curious about the construction or how some thing was done - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=365988 ~ Robin
This is excellent Robin,

Those videos of the guys in Valdez are what originally got me interested in the FunCub - incredibly short take offs and landings. Just amazing. I didn't realize that this is what your rebuild was about when you spoke of it earlier.

Really Cool - can't wait to see it fly!

Gary
Sep 03, 2012, 08:02 AM
Registered User
wjjones's Avatar

Velcro, (not so much)


I had the same problem and got my answer in this thread:

Use less velcro on the battery. I have a 3"-4" adhesive-backed strip on the floor of the fuse, and 1" piece on the battery. The battery stays put through aggressive maneuvers and rough touch-and-goes.
Sep 03, 2012, 09:38 AM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
cubcrafter60's Avatar
Thank's guy's! I know someone must have been wondering 'three months to rebuild a FunCub? ' so I figured it was time to let the cat out of the bag! It's been a real learning experience, but it's been fun! Next time though, I'm going to try planning a little further ahead rather than designing as I build. I'm really looking forward to seeing her in the air! ~ Robin
Sep 03, 2012, 10:01 AM
Registered User
JDMJim's Avatar
I cut a lexan tray and glued it with a velcro pull strap around it into the Cub. covered the lexan with electrical tape to create some stick. works really well.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fun Cub sinowace Hitec/Multiplex USA 14 Oct 09, 2011 04:43 PM
Discussion Multiplex Fun Jet at the lake bah7566 FPV Talk 31 Jan 03, 2010 10:19 AM
For Sale Multiplex Fun Jet -- PRICE DROP Toby W Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 28, 2009 10:51 AM
Video Multiplex Fun Jet FPV set up test bah7566 Electric Plane Talk 0 Dec 25, 2009 11:05 PM
Wanted multiplex fun-jet or trade! heli123 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 14, 2009 12:02 PM