Aug 17, 2011, 08:32 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy233
I have a Fun Cub being delivered today, what kind of paint is safe to use. I'm wanting to lay some orange graphics on.

Thanks!
Krylon Fusion works well on Elapor. I'm sure other paints work too, but I know KF is safe.

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2011, 08:45 AM
Good Better Best quest.
One mod' worth mentioning from my experience is to up the gauge on the tailwheel wire ,it annoyed me flopping around like a limp bit of celery on anything but a manicured field.
Aug 17, 2011, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
One mod' worth mentioning from my experience is to up the gauge on the tailwheel wire ,it annoyed me flopping around like a limp bit of celery on anything but a manicured field.
Agreed. I replaced the whole thing and used this (with the stock foam wheel):

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3755

I bent the arm up and screwed it into the bottom of the rudder (with some CA in the foam to firm it up). You also have to drill out the hinge a little bigger to fit the wire in. Rock solid!

(But these things can be done later if you just want to get flying right away.)

Bob

Aug 17, 2011, 09:40 AM
Honey, it's just one more !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theflandersons
Looks great, you should sell decal kits!
Thanks !
Aug 17, 2011, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf
Agreed. I replaced the whole thing and used this (with the stock foam wheel):

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3755

I bent the arm up and screwed it into the bottom of the rudder (with some CA in the foam to firm it up). You also have to drill out the hinge a little bigger to fit the wire in. Rock solid!

(But these things can be done later if you just want to get flying right away.)

Bob

Bob,

Good find. I just ordered the tail wheel.

Bill
Aug 17, 2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Bob,

Good find. I just ordered the tail wheel.

Bill
Hope it helps ya, Bill. I also glued a little piece of ply to the fuse, and then screwed the tailwheel to that. So far, so good!

Bob
Aug 17, 2011, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Hope it helps ya, Bill. I also glued a little piece of ply to the fuse, and then screwed the tailwheel to that. So far, so good!

Bob
Bob,

I was going to use something similar from another mfg., but that's perfect. Now all I need is my plane to blow out of the big oak tree it is stuck in.

Bill
Aug 17, 2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Bob,

I was going to use something similar from another mfg., but that's perfect. Now all I need is my plane to blow out of the big oak tree it is stuck in.

Bill
Last time that happened to me, I hired an 8-year old professional tree climber to handle the job.
Aug 17, 2011, 01:00 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Quote:
Bob,

Bill
.... hee, hee, heeee!! Thank God I'm not the only one who does that. As I thought I was....

Sorry to be so crass, Prof, but misery loves company.
Aug 17, 2011, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman
Hi folks,

Im eagerly awaiting my FunCub to be delivered from Tower, and am wondering with all the info on here i am dead-set confused as to how to set it up when it gets here...Can i set it up exactly as the instructions will tell me too? or is there a few things i MUST change during the build?

Also, ive read about flap/elevator mixing, aileron differential and other tricky setups, i just want to build it and fly it!!! How hard will these things be to do for better flying characteristics?

Cheers in advance,

Alan.
Pay extra attention to the glue joint of the elevator control horn to the elevator. Apply some extra CA to it after it is already glued on just to make sure. And then wiggle it to make sure it is solid. Mine came loose on the second or third flight and even the Funcub is pretty hard to control like that. Probably my fault, but it is something to look out for.

Gord
Aug 17, 2011, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks
even the Funcub is pretty hard to control like that. Probably my fault, but it is something to look out for.
Gord
Interesting exercise: landing funcub without elevator. Every funcub pilot should be capable to do this .
Aug 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77
Interesting exercise: landing funcub without elevator. Every funcub pilot should be capable to do this .
Every funcub pilot already can ...once!! Now if you still want to be able to use the plane AFTER that landing, well, that might require a little more skill to accomplish.

Aug 17, 2011, 02:48 PM
Ok, rephrase....

Every funcub pilot should be capable to do this without damage to the funcub....

Now you again ...

Btw, I once had a stalled elevator on a cessna.... It was in the up-position. By modulating the throttle I could land safely... Wasn't easy!

But next day I discovered that the failure was not in the servo, but the receiver. So I had to do the same exercise but now with elevator locked slichtly down!!! Only at WOT it climbed slightly. So this was a mission impossible .
Aug 17, 2011, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Last time that happened to me, I hired an 8-year old professional tree climber to handle the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff
.... hee, hee, heeee!! Thank God I'm not the only one who does that. As I thought I was....

No, you are not. We all do it.

Sorry to be so crass, Prof, but misery loves company.
How true. It does feel good to know you are not alone.

Success gents. The trick was to take two aluminum swimming pool poles that extend to 16 feet and take one of the 8 foot sections from a second and make 24 foot pole. Here is how you retrieve a Funcub that's stuck in a tree over 50 feet high.
1. Use a 28 foot extension ladder.
2. Once in the tree climb up another 10 feet
3. Take 24 foot extension pole and poke at the planeuntil it falls out of the tree. So by official measurement (+ / - 2 foot) the plane was up in the tree 52 feet.

Damage? Virtually nothing. The plane didn't fall straight down from 52 feet. It went from limb to limb and landed gently:

DAMAGE
1. 3/4" wide chunk out of the leading edge at the wing root from poking at the plane with a aluminum tube.
2. Broken prop from crash into the tree. Those APCs are glass.
3. One very discharged lipo
4. One flap hinge pulled off the wing.

I owe my energetic neighbor of 20 years a couple of cases of Bud Lite. I did mow his back acreage which he stopped mowing yesterday to try to bring down the plane.

EDIT: I am charging the lipo. It dropped to 9.25 volts. Not a good usage pattern for 3S lipos but it wasn't stone dead after 24 hours. I am sure this took some cycles out of it and raised IR.
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 18, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Aug 17, 2011, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77
I may have had a sixteenth of an inch of up elevator control left..... or not.. Preceding the initial nose in I purposely tried to go straight down. Full flaps at idle. It wouldn't go steeper than about 60 or 70 degrees. Then I found it wouldn't pull up either. After retrieving the plane, which was in remarkably good shape, I tried all the controls. The elevator did move. I should have been more picky about how far it moved though. The next two flights were very strange. It flew but it was obviously not right. The second magical landing was accomplished partly with full up elevator (all 1/16th or 1/32nd inch or whatever) and the rest with throttle control. Lucky the CG is where it is. Further forward or back and it wouldn't have had a prayer. It flies inverted with very little elevator pressure as well. I think I will leave that CG exactly where it is!

Gord

Quick Reply