Jul 29, 2011, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
Yes, they made them waaaaaaaaaay too long and with a 1920's style flat instead of a phillips.

They are 5mm thread I believe, good luck on your search...
very common - hobby shop likely has em
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2011, 10:43 PM
Does anyone know of a cost effective way to reverse a motor shaft. The drill presses and other tools are too expensive. There has to be a safe way to do this without spending hundreds of dollars on these large tools. By the way, I went to my LHS in Indianapolis today and asked the air department guys if they could repair a couple of my spare motors that are having issues, and they don't offer that service. I have an Eflite parkzone 450 that is making a rattling nose...(sounds like a ball bearing problem???) I can hear the noise when I shake the motor. Anyone have a good tutorial to fix this problem???

Thanks,

John
Jul 29, 2011, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartley1130
Does anyone know of a cost effective way to reverse a motor shaft. The drill presses and other tools are too expensive. There has to be a safe way to do this without spending hundreds of dollars on these large tools. By the way, I went to my LHS in Indianapolis today and asked the air department guys if they could repair a couple of my spare motors that are having issues, and they don't offer that service. I have an Eflite parkzone 450 that is making a rattling nose...(sounds like a ball bearing problem???) I can hear the noise when I shake the motor. Anyone have a good tutorial to fix this problem???

Thanks,

John
John,

If you can't afford the tools then don't buy motors you need to modify. You need some way of pressing the shaft and banging on the shaft with a hammer is not going to work.

For the Eflite motor problem call Horizon Customer support and ask if they can warrant of repair the motor. Often they will say send it in and give you a replacement.

Bill
Jul 29, 2011, 11:02 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
Quote:
Besides Hobby King, does anyone know another business that sells turnigy motors? They always seem to be out of everything I need to buy.

John
search the model shops on ebay
Jul 29, 2011, 11:04 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

John
Buy a vise , if you dont have one you should have , big enough to take the motor and a piece of tubing to take the lenght of shaft...easy
Jul 30, 2011, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
John,

If you can't afford the tools then don't buy motors you need to modify. You need some way of pressing the shaft and banging on the shaft with a hammer is not going to work.

For the Eflite motor problem call Horizon Customer support and ask if they can warrant of repair the motor. Often they will say send it in and give you a replacement.

Bill
Prof,

I'm not sure that price is the real issue here. I went to Lowes today and the drill presses are a couple hundred bucks. I also went to the hardware store and didn't see anything that would do the job. I obviously want to do it right and if you have any ideas of what type of press I need or where I can shop for one let me know.
Jul 30, 2011, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taildragger55
Sorry, it was meant as a joke and nobody got it. My Bad I used to tune up my old Ford Mustang and you set the ignition timing by rotating the distributor. I guess that dates me, actually working on my own car. Nobody does that anymore.
No worries! I feel dumb for not "getting it"
Jul 30, 2011, 01:03 AM
" if you have any ideas of what type of press I need or where I can shop for one let me know. "

I already told you......get a vise...you gotta take my ADvise and ADD a vise
Jul 30, 2011, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE
" if you have any ideas of what type of press I need or where I can shop for one let me know. "

I already told you......get a vise...you gotta take my ADvise and ADD a vise
I don't see how a U-shaped Vise will work, but I will give it a try. What do you mean by "piece of tubing to take the lenght of shaft". I do understand the concept, but need to see how this would work. The vise would need to exert uniform pressure to move the motor shaft to the opposite side, so how do you not bend the shaft? I do appreciate the help.
Jul 30, 2011, 01:45 AM
Electric only
Quote:
I don't see how a U-shaped Vise will work, but I will give it a try. What do you mean by "piece of tubing to take the lenght of shaft". I do understand the concept, but need to see how this would work. The vise would need to exert uniform pressure to move the motor shaft to the opposite side, so how do you not bend the shaft? I do appreciate the help.
It's not a 100% way but I take big nuts on the side where the shaft is supposed to go and try to put the motor at the right angle into the vise. Then press until the nut's end is reached and insert another nut. Usually it works. The nut plus the motor side give me enough alignement to get it straight.

RK
Jul 30, 2011, 02:03 AM
You'll figure it out...........I think...
Jul 30, 2011, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taildragger55
I guess that dates me, actually working on my own car. Nobody does that anymore.
I still do the maintenance on both of my cars and that includes changing the distributor when necessary (includes setting the timing), adjusting the valves etc.

Jürgen
Jul 30, 2011, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
John,

Oops, that's what I did... I removed the bell and put it on a hard and flat surface with a hole in it. And then carefully knocked it through.

Motor runs very well, but probably it helps that it's a 5 mm shaft.
Jul 30, 2011, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77
Oops, that's what I did... I removed the bell and put it on a hard and flat surface with a hole in it. And then carefully knocked it through.

Motor runs very well, but probably it helps that it's a 5 mm shaft.
A good C clamp can be modified to do small electric motor work. We started using em on slot car motors (pressing gears) many years ago
you need a GOOD C clamp- and you will have to make a hole or dish in one end for centering the shaft
uing CA and putting a small drilled block , centered on one end will work
Jul 30, 2011, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
I still do the maintenance on both of my cars and that includes changing the distributor when necessary (includes setting the timing), adjusting the valves etc.

Jürgen
I cannot find the distributor on my Honda Odyssey or my MB 300 turbo diesel.
When I was a boy, I could see .018 easily- No need for feeler strips setting ignitions

Quick Reply