Jun 17, 2011, 01:48 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin
Also just testing I've moved the battery plenty in both directions and haven't noticed much difference in flight, unlike say the EZ* this plane seems to have a wide birth of cg that results in good flight. I'd like to fly yours with the mods and such.
That's good to hear. My EZ* seems to fly WAY better with a nose-heavy setup. Either that, or I've just gotten used to flying it that way. When I lighten up the nose, it seems to fly erratically. Of course, I've over-powered it, so I'm sure I've caused most of the problems myself!

Looking forward to flying my FC!!!

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2011, 02:03 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
I absolutely love the funcub, it takes off in like 1 foot it's insane. The EZ* and its clones (aside from fpv) went obsolete for me almost immediately. I put the funcub and a small 3d foamy in the car anytime we leave the house. The foamy on the off chance there is 0 wind (hardly ever and I just bought a much bigger one so I can fly it in some wind) and the funcub all the other times.

I fly every day, windy or not, on the windy days I just don't get too aerobatic. It's very tough as well. On my first or second flight I flew directly into a light pole (one of my flap servo arms I had forgotten to screw in and the arm came off the servo). Almost no damage except one of the thrust screws was bent, fixed easily and flew again the same day.
Jun 17, 2011, 02:06 PM
Argue for your limitations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf
That's good to hear. My EZ* seems to fly WAY better with a nose-heavy setup. Either that, or I've just gotten used to flying it that way. When I lighten up the nose, it seems to fly erratically. Of course, I've over-powered it, so I'm sure I've caused most of the problems myself!

Looking forward to flying my FC!!!

Bob
I was afraid to say the same thing because of getting unsolicited advice. Where is your CG. PM me if you want to avoid getting any of that same advice. Also, I am confused. Someone very recently said they were still building their FC and that they are so slow, it might take a long time to complete it. For some reason, I thought it was you. Obviously it was someone else. Do you happen to remember who I am writing about. I will go look. I know, I am having a senior moment. Laugh now. Just wait til you get old.
AJ
Jun 17, 2011, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin
I absolutely love the funcub, it takes off in like 1 foot it's insane. The EZ* and its clones (aside from fpv) went obsolete for me almost immediately. I put the funcub and a small 3d foamy in the car anytime we leave the house. The foamy on the off chance there is 0 wind (hardly ever and I just bought a much bigger one so I can fly it in some wind) and the funcub all the other times.

I fly every day, windy or not, on the windy days I just don't get too aerobatic. It's very tough as well. On my first or second flight I flew directly into a light pole (one of my flap servo arms I had forgotten to screw in and the arm came off the servo). Almost no damage except one of the thrust screws was bent, fixed easily and flew again the same day.
There are several light poles that have my name on them. It is part of the hobby. Like trees. I only have two of those with my name on them. But, I am sure there are more waiting. Be very careful of trees. They DO move around and those long arms are all trying to grab your plane.
AJ
What motor are you using? I am using the recommended 3536-1100 with an 11x7. It takes me about 5-6 feet to get off the (dirt) runway which seems about ok for that setup. Soon, I plan on using THIS (with a 4S 4000mah & 13x6) which I have in stock.
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 17, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Jun 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Only shows that you indeed know how to correctly write my name .....

Jürgen
What "exactly" shows that I know how to spell your name in that one sentence. You are backpedaling. Is it so hard to just say "gee, I could have worded that better".
Jun 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
AJ your springs are to tight, they should not pull your gear in that far to give negative camber, would not help with the wing tipping.
You will probably find the gear is a little loose like that, as the legs are not sprung out to engage the plastic lugs of the gear plate.
I added a small ply plate inside the wire to ensure a snug fit with the lugs whatever the gear is doing.

Battery position also depends on the weight of the motor you are using,
mine is an EMAX 2815-09 920KV which is a big lump although lighter than the Himax job.
Hence the rearward battery position, although the plane does balance at same spot without the battery so could use various size packs which is ideal.
Just using Zippy Flightmax 2200's and LoongMax 2250's presently.

My removable bomb bay also straddles the CoG so no balance issues there, whatever i have loaded up.

Balance cannot be far off correct as flies inverted with just a touch of down elevator added.
Last edited by Del-Dredd; Jun 17, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Jun 17, 2011, 02:28 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I was afraid to say the same thing because of getting unsolicited advice. Where is your CG. PM me if you want to avoid getting any of that same advice. Also, I am confused. Someone very recently said they were still building their FC and that they are so slow, it might take a long time to complete it. For some reason, I thought it was you. Obviously it was someone else. Do you happen to remember who I am writing about. I will go look. I know, I am having a senior moment. Laugh now. Just wait til you get old.
AJ
You ARE getting old, AJ! My FC isn't finished yet. I was talking about the CG on my EZ*.

This is what happens when you start posting on too many threads at the same time. Stop and let the keyboard cool off!!

Bob
Jun 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf
You ARE getting old, AJ! My FC isn't finished yet. I was talking about the CG on my EZ*.

This is what happens when you start posting on too many threads at the same time. Stop and let the keyboard cool off!!

Bob
Yipes. You are correct on all counts. (damnit)
AJ
Jun 17, 2011, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
AJ your springs are to tight, they should not pull your gear in that far to give negative camber, would not help with the wing tipping.
You will probably find the gear is a little loose like that, as the legs are not sprung out to engage the plastic lugs of the gear plate.
I added a small ply plate inside the wire to ensure a snug fit with the lugs whatever the gear is doing.

Battery position also depends on the weight of the motor you are using,
mine is an EMAX 2815-09 920KV which is a big lump although lighter than the Himax job.
Hence the rearward battery position, although the plane does balance at same spot without the battery so could use various size packs which is ideal.
Just using Zippy Flightmax 2200's and LoongMax 2250's presently.

My removable bomb bay also straddles the CoG so no balance issues there, whatever i have loaded up.

Balance cannot be far off correct as flies inverted with just a touch of down elevator added.
GREAT feedback. If I going to copy your design, I could at least do it right. I did take care of the camber issue and I moved the springs up about 1½". I just have to build that little ply plate to hold the gear out. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
AJ
Since the thread has not increased in size yet, here is an update for your opinion/feedback
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 17, 2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Add pics
Jun 17, 2011, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Yup. It is a page that reminds me of the old Dragnet series (you are too young to remember that), where the main character is interviewing a victim and he says "Just the facts madam, Just the fact". That is what Page #1 is on the EZ* thread - no chit chat - "Just the facts".

AJ
At the risk of being branded a nitpicker, that character was called Joe Friday and was played by Jack Webb. It was my favorite program for a long time, on radio and TV, and I remember it like it was just yesterday. I parroted that phrase any time it seemed it could be shoehorned in. BTW, he never pronounced it 'madam', only "ma'am". But to my amazement I now find that Joe Friday never really said "Just the facts ma'am" in the first place (although I know that's what I said). Snopes points out that what he did say is "All we want are the facts, ma'm.". Guess I don't remember it quite as well as I thought! I liked it better the way most of us miss-remember it.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/dragnet.asp

Regards,
Gord
Jun 17, 2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks
At the risk of being branded a nitpicker, that character was called Joe Friday and was played by Jack Webb. It was my favorite program for a long time, on radio and TV, and I remember it like it was just yesterday. I parroted that phrase any time it seemed it could be shoehorned in. BTW, he never pronounced it 'madam', only "ma'am". But to my amazement I now find that Joe Friday never really said "Just the facts ma'am" in the first place (although I know that's what I said). Snopes points out that what he did say is "All we want are the facts, ma'm.". Guess I don't remember it quite as well as I thought! I liked it better the way most of us miss-remember it.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/dragnet.asp

Regards,
Gord
Good point. I knew it was ma'am, But, at the time I couldn't spell it. it kept coming out mame or mamm. So, I settled on madam. Ok. So maybe it is nitpicking. But, I like it. Especially since it is "All I want are the facts, Sir" (Jack is turning over in his grave). Damn, you are OLD!! Thanks for the feedback. Good stuff.
AJ
Jun 17, 2011, 05:28 PM
FPV = Fun Powered Vehicle
1911Tex, Thanks for posting those. His FC has some serious aileron movement. The second video was sweet!

Jurgen remind me again what MM's FC setup is?

Cheers
Jun 17, 2011, 05:51 PM
Looks better AJ, nice Ply plate very similar to mine.

I only noticed the issue when I had fuselage up side down for some reason and noticed how the landing gear moved from side to side in the mounting plate when the gear legs were sprung closer together. (that was before i attached springs and only had a couple of elastics on)
Jun 17, 2011, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Good point. I knew it was ma'am, But, at the time I couldn't spell it. it kept coming out mame or mamm. So, I settled on madam. Ok. So maybe it is nitpicking. But, I like it. Especially since it is "All I want are the facts, Sir" (Jack is turning over in his grave). Damn, you are OLD!! Thanks for the feedback. Good stuff.
AJ
I couldn't have spelled it either if I hadn't googled it. And, yep, 68 in just over a week. I guess I am getting there. But fortunately, I am still growing older! The alternative doesn't allow much flying!

Regards,
Gord
Jun 17, 2011, 06:18 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
You are only 'old' when cant function properly

Everyone's gunna get there...well those that dont walk in front of a bus

AJ ...your dooin fine...

Cheerz

Ian

Quick Reply