Thread Tools
Mar 09, 2010, 01:04 PM
Registered User
WBFlyer's Avatar
Discussion

Muliplex EasyStar


Can you do ground takeoffs with the addition of landing gear?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2010, 01:15 PM
JettPilot's Avatar
Sure !!!! I have seen videos of them taking off the snow just by sliding on the belly. Be very careful not to add a bunch of weight and drag though. I dont think adding gear to this plane is a good idea performance wise, but it would work fine.

Mike
Mar 09, 2010, 01:38 PM
Registered User
As Jett says, depending on the motor you may not even need the gear. I have a Eflight 2000kv on mine and with a vtx/cam it will slide off of a thin grass or snow with no problems.

On the other hand, while the EZ makes a great fpv platform with minimal gear, it flies like sh*t when you put much weight on it. Try a Radian if you want a cheap, good replacement.
Mar 09, 2010, 03:17 PM
Registered User
WBFlyer's Avatar
Well, I saw somewhere they sell a addon gear kit for the Easy star. I like to be able to take off and land in a seperate field (on a strip of concrete in the middle of the field) and then take off again. I think it would be impossible without gear.. I have been doing this with a small .40 balsa trainer but if you have a not-so-perfect landing, I spend a lot of time fixing damaged wingtips etc...
Mar 09, 2010, 03:45 PM
Don't leave it Stock
mrfliboy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFlyer
Well, I saw somewhere they sell a addon gear kit for the Easy star. I like to be able to take off and land in a seperate field (on a strip of concrete in the middle of the field) and then take off again. I think it would be impossible without gear.. I have been doing this with a small .40 balsa trainer but if you have a not-so-perfect landing, I spend a lot of time fixing damaged wingtips etc...
I saw the gear you're talking about, being advertised at the top of RCGroups Banner, which changes constantly. Hope this helps.
Mar 09, 2010, 04:30 PM
Registered User
WBFlyer's Avatar
Yeah, and in RC mag. I think that would be what I need. I do like to fly with Alirons though...
Mar 10, 2010, 09:08 AM
Me a long time ago
Flypoppa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFlyer
Yeah, and in RC mag. I think that would be what I need. I do like to fly with Alirons though...
Then Stick on a set of Easyglider wings on it. That helps with the extra weight.
Mar 10, 2010, 11:57 AM
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFlyer
Can you do ground takeoffs with the addition of landing gear?
Who needs gear? My 250W inrunner drives the plane just fine on it's belly across grass. With full video and loaded for bear on lipo's, I still prefer to hand launch though. Grin.
Mar 10, 2010, 01:30 PM
Registered User
skunkworks2006's Avatar
Run some heavy duty strapping tape along the bottom and you can even land on pavement if needed. I've done this some, and it works okay. You just replace the tape when it gets worn. I still prefer grass and snow though, and like others can ROG w/out landing gear.
Mar 10, 2010, 03:09 PM
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks2006
Run some heavy duty strapping tape along the bottom and you can even land on pavement if needed. I've done this some, and it works okay. You just replace the tape when it gets worn. I still prefer grass and snow though, and like others can ROG w/out landing gear.
Screw the tape! Just make sure you are crashing your easystar a couple times every month, and then you have a reason to redo the fuse every 6 months from spare fuse stock.

I'm joking.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review EasyStar RR from a Beginners Point of View WAFlyer15 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 33 Jun 02, 2010 10:50 AM
Discussion Easystar maiden!! ashdec87 FPV Talk 3 Mar 03, 2010 03:42 PM
Discussion Easystar - fixing and new electronics ampsonic Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 11 Feb 26, 2010 04:52 PM
Sold muliplex ASW 27 NIB bushpilotx1 Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 31, 2009 05:41 PM