Big Pink Beaver - Page 5 - RC Groups
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2010, 01:46 PM
RC Group therapist
Your O-rings will be fine, unless that is, you manage to exceed 6G's by my calculations(based on O-ring failure at 270 oz with my test, but it was an old o-ring). There are lots of folks with lots of opinions, unfortunately many have more opinions than experience. The build is looking Great man! Keep up the good work.

Regards,
-Mike
Apr 26, 2010, 04:20 PM
m25
m25
Yep, and some others can't do neither one nor the other and just can't help but be picky and behave like kids, I see.
Apr 26, 2010, 08:26 PM
RC Group therapist
The build is really impressive! I'm not sure what the diameter of your cowling is, but Top Flight makes a fake radial in a few sizes to go inside cowls like yours, and they are fairly cheap. Here's a link if you're interested: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHY66&P=7 The corrugated metal effect looks great too! The techniques you've used to give a scale look are spot on.

Regards,
-Mike
Apr 26, 2010, 11:13 PM
Always Ready!
Top Flite? Phooey!

I made my own dummy radial using half of a plastic Easter egg, popsicle sticks, coffee stir straws, and some wire organizer loom --- all stuff I have on hand.

I start with a back plate of the correct cowl diameter and cut a hole in the middle that is the perfect size for the egg-half to fit. Then I hot-glued pieces of popsicle stick on edge, radiating out from the center... 9 sticks for the 9 cylinders (I had penciled in the exact position beforehand). Then I cut to length the wire loom and push the slit-side over the popsicle forms. A little hot glue keeps it all in place. Then drill some holes to fit the stir-straw pushrods, painted silver with a Sharpie.

It's not exactly a Wasp Jr, but looks close enough for the uninitiated.

If I decide I want something more scale-looking, I would order from ParkFlyerPlastics... they have radials in every size and shape for reasonable prices.

Next step, I need to add the flaps and ailerons. I'll have to scavenge servos from my trusty BluBaby, but I haven't flown her in 6 months anyway. Simple pushrods to the rudder and elevator, in-wing servos for each aileron, and a single servo for both flaps.

Normally I would have run all of the electronics before finishing the plane, the inside of this fuselage is so cavernous that I can reach my arm in past my elbow. (insert Beaver joke here)

It's supposed to be windy all week here in Chicago, but by this weekend I should have the plane ready to maiden.
Apr 27, 2010, 01:05 AM
Too bad the ARF Manufactures can't send out something this nice. That's one nice Beaver! Should fly like a dream...Thanks for letting everyone watch...Dart
Apr 27, 2010, 02:25 AM
Clear prop!
Subscribe! Looking very good, nice and scale!
Apr 27, 2010, 03:23 AM
m25
m25
Will you also try a 3-blade prop on it to look more scale (will bring efficiency down though, at least in most cases)?
Apr 27, 2010, 07:58 AM
Always Ready!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredlawndart
Too bad the ARF Manufactures can't send out something this nice. That's one nice Beaver! Should fly like a dream...Thanks for letting everyone watch...Dart
I agree... this is actually a very simple airframe. It would certainly be one of the simpler ARFs to kit. E-flite has a balsa plane at this scale, but it's quite a bit heavier, requiring a more expensive motor, etc to power it. I would think GWS or Flyin Styro or Parkzone would do a good job making a foamie at this scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m25
Will you also try a 3-blade prop on it to look more scale (will bring efficiency down though, at least in most cases)?
Yes, I already stated that I'll be using a GWS 10x6 3-blade prop. I already have a 3-blade spinner for it too.
Apr 27, 2010, 08:34 AM
I have the E-flite Beaver and an E-flite 32 for power. Can't seem to get to building it..(too many foamies keep getting posted) For the price of the batteries alone it makes me want to do a large foamy instead..........Dart
Apr 27, 2010, 09:22 AM
Always Ready!
Yeah, don't get me wrong... I really like E-flite (I have their PT-17 and LOVE it), but they build their planes like tanks... very heavy (and durable) compared to a foamie equivalent. Their Beaver comes in AUW of 5-6lbs, without floats. Mine will come in under 3lbs, with floats. Granted, theirs is 68" and mine is 64" wingspan... but still a big difference when it comes to buying the motor, ESC, and servos.

P.S. --- here are some better pics I took this morning. The ones I took last night had too much flash. Pixels are free, right?

>
Last edited by warhead_71; Apr 27, 2010 at 09:33 AM.
Apr 27, 2010, 09:32 AM
I fly a lot in tight places and even if yours was 68" I think the flying area and the ability to get it down in a smaller space will be much greater. Curious to see how it approaches with flaps. Have put the real one in some pretty close quarters.
Apr 27, 2010, 09:36 AM
Always Ready!
If it flies anything like my large BluBaby, I will be able to set it down within the infield of a baseball diamond. Flaps should go a long way to slowing it down, though somehow I feel they won't be all that necessary. My wing-loading is pretty light, and the airframe isn't exactly bullet-shaped. More than likely, though, I'll be adding floats and flying it exclusively from water.
Apr 27, 2010, 10:41 AM
RC Group therapist
Wow!!! I should have known based on the rest of this build that you would have some type of innovative solution for the radial. I certainly didn't mean the link to the radials to be an insult. Your radial looks way cooler anyway.

I would be willing to bet your landing distance with flaps will be VERY short. I am looking forward to the maiden on your build. Yours is the best looking Beaver I've seen, scratch build or otherwise. Outstanding work!

Regards,
-Mike
Apr 27, 2010, 03:14 PM
m25
m25
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
Yeah, don't get me wrong... I really like E-flite (I have their PT-17 and LOVE it), but they build their planes like tanks... very heavy (and durable) compared to a foamie equivalent. Their Beaver comes in AUW of 5-6lbs, without floats. Mine will come in under 3lbs, with floats. ...
It looks so sexy even without floats, in fact, I like it more without them, even if they fit better with the scheme, it's so elegant like this!!!

Quick Reply