Big Pink Beaver - Page 4 - RC Groups
Apr 22, 2010, 05:19 PM
Always Ready!
I haven't even finalized my drawings yet, but just to cover all the bases:

I got permission from David Doyon Jr. at Misty Fjords Air Corp. to use their logo and branding on this model. If anyone else wants to use the "MF" drawings to "skin" their Beaver, please get their permission first.

Otherwise, my foam Beaver plans are free for anyone to download for their personal use, but cannot be sold or otherwise used for commercial purposes. I would be happy to make a few other PDF "skins" with alternate patterns and color schemes... or a plain white skin with only windows and panel lines that you could decorate yourself with any vector art program (Illustrator, Draw, etc). That's assuming (a) that this thing even flies, and (b) that anyone else is even considering making one using my plans.
Last edited by warhead_71; Apr 22, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2010, 05:29 PM
Always Ready!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengine
warhead - I won't tell her
The wings do look a bit longer (span wise) than the full size Beaver...maybe it's just the angle. And personally, I've often added a couple inches to the span when building a high-winger...I like floaters...(in the air I mean)...
I think the reason the wings look "skinny" is because the ailerons and flaps aren't attached yet. The chord is 6.25" without the control surfaces, but will be 7.5" total once they are added.
Apr 22, 2010, 06:55 PM
m25
m25
Oooh maaan, and you say it now!!! Kept us thinking for days that there was something wrong with the proportions of those wings; and there really was something 'wrong'
Apr 22, 2010, 10:32 PM
'Cobra Fan - P-39 & P-63
Ah ha! I knew something was up with those wings...

And I'd like to also mention - you are one awesome Beaver skinner too!
Apr 23, 2010, 12:45 AM
Always Ready!
Here are a few pics with the updated skin on it. Everything is lining up pretty good except I need to reprint the canopy and adjust the top black racing stripe.

The plane already seems like it will balance pretty easily... I have a 2200mah 3S lipo in middle of the spacious battery bay and she'll balance within an inch of the CG. Once the motor and LG are installed, I should balance even further forward. Might be able to put the servos in the tail and still maintain balance.
Apr 23, 2010, 04:14 AM
m25
m25
Looking awesome, even if the windows and lots of details are not 'real', it's a really cool and simple way to add detail; this is texture magic.
Apr 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
Always Ready!
The wings look a little droopy, but will have about 1" dihedral once I put the braces in place. I still haven't entirely figured out how the wings will lock in place, but it will probably involve using a couple of pins that simply keyhole into tabs, all hidden under the canopy... so it will be tool-less and no outward hardware will show.
Apr 23, 2010, 05:19 PM
Always Ready!
Speaking of wing braces, and struts in general: I just discovered a neat way to make "streamlined" struts and braces for cheap.

Materials: bamboo skewers, connection plate material (thick plastic, aluminum sheet, etc), cotton thread, CA, paper, WBPU.

I cut two or more skewers to the correct length, then lash them together with the thread and a little CA. Then I make the connection tabs and lash and glue those to each end of the skewers. Then I wrap the whole thing with 5-6 layers of paper and a dab of CA to keep it together. Finally I seal the whole thing with WBPU or similar. Makes a very believable aerodynamic strut using cheap household supplies.

Bamboo is very strong for its weight, though it tends to bow easily under compression, especially at the scale of skewers. Binding and wrapping a pair of skewers in paper makes them much less likely to bow, and still remains relatively lightweight.
Last edited by warhead_71; Apr 23, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
Apr 23, 2010, 06:56 PM
Up in smoke!
Nice idea warhead. That will come in handy.
Apr 24, 2010, 10:54 PM
Always Ready!
I just put both wing struts on using the above method... works terrific and didn't take long to build.
Apr 25, 2010, 02:15 PM
Always Ready!
A little more progress...

Instead of lock pins, I made the two wing halves connect using an O-ring as a rubber band. Each wing has a short spar with barbs on it that I can hook the O-ring to. The spars join up under the canopy, so I can easily access them without tools. With the canopy in place, you don't see a thing.

Also, notice the wing strut. It's made just as shown above... two bamboo skewers lashed together then covered with paper. A little spray-adhesive to keep it rolled tight then sealed with WBPU and painted. Seems complicated, but it took me about 15 minutes to make the first one and 10 minutes to make a copy. Currently, the wing strut does require a screwdriver to install it, but I might rework it to make them plug-in somehow.
Apr 25, 2010, 09:47 PM
m25
m25
Looks good, just make sure that o-ring does not break! Couldn't you invent some way to keep those wings together with some screws or something, because a rubber band holding them looks scary to tell the truth.
The model looks great, you were smart not to put the motor and prop because it looks so willing to leap into the neighborhood
Apr 26, 2010, 12:19 AM
Retired CAD guy
O rings are very strong. Just try to pull one apart !

There are very low forces trying to pull the wings apart !

Plus there are the Struts !
Apr 26, 2010, 12:35 AM
m25
m25
Well, maybe not break, but it gives the impression it can slowly slide out, that position is not as safe as in a prop saver. I'd feel much better with something hard-locked or screwed there.
Apr 26, 2010, 12:46 AM
Always Ready!
There's no way the wings would pull out... that little O-ring doesn't have much tension on it anyway, but those suckers are hard to break.

Got a little more done tonight.... elevator and rudder hinged, plus landing gear and stearable tail wheel. The motor is bolted in place and I dropped the ESC and a Lipo in place to get a weight measurement. 27oz so far. I still need to add 5 servos and the RX, but she's shaping up to come in under 35oz with wheels... so probably 40-45oz with floats. I think the DT750 will easily drag her out of the water.

This is all a lot heavier than I guessed... but still easily manageable.
Last edited by warhead_71; Apr 26, 2010 at 01:01 AM.

Quick Reply