Big Pink Beaver - Page 3 - RC Groups
Apr 17, 2010, 04:15 PM
Wow, that looks great!!!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2010, 09:13 PM
Up in smoke!
Man that printed paper finish looks fantastic. You have to tell us how your doing it and what software your using!

BlueFFF
Apr 17, 2010, 09:46 PM
RC Adddict
Wow am i disappointed with this build ..... I can hardly see the pink beaver anymore . i mean im gonna have to look inside to see it now .
Apr 18, 2010, 09:37 AM
Love following your build. Are you going to use flaps?
Apr 18, 2010, 11:03 AM
Always Ready!
Flaps, definitely.
Apr 19, 2010, 09:31 AM
'Cobra Fan - P-39 & P-63
Dang Warhead!!

Super good job on that Beaver skin

Can't wait to see the hot, wet video from her maiden

(summers are hot & steamy in Chicago, right?)
Apr 19, 2010, 04:56 PM
Always Ready!
I reworked the skins a little... had problems with the alignment of the canopy. The old paper peals off the foam with a little careful tugging... doesn't leave much residue at all. Seemed like a shame to strip it down but putting the new skins on only takes about 45 minutes. Fun with X-acto knives.

I also reworked some old plans I had for EDO floats.... scaled them up to ~28" length. The design is loosely borrowed from Fiddler's Green paper airplane plans -- floats for a Cub. Not sure yet if I'll use these or start from scratch to make floats that match the paint scheme like the full-scale.
Last edited by warhead_71; Apr 22, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
Apr 20, 2010, 03:21 PM
Always Ready!
Well, drats! I put the revised paper skin on last night and it was looking really good... everything was lining up perfectly. Then I decided that instead of using a clear spray acrylic to waterproof the paper, I'd try clear packing tape instead... epic failure! The tape left lots of air bubbles and wrinkled --- generally just looked like crap -- especially on the black areas. I will be stripping her again and starting over.

I read somewhere that you can use regular wax paper and iron it over printed paper to transfer the wax... might work for water proofing the ink. May have to do a quick test to see how it holds up. Also, I'm considering protecting the paper with clear vinyl contact paper (shelf-liner paper)... I'd have to sheet the printed paper before affixing it to the plane or it would be a real hassle to try to wrap it around all the edges.

The good news is that I'm getting really good at replacing paper skins on the model... so if I ever need to make major repairs it would be a quick job to repair any foam bits then recover it with a new skin.
Apr 20, 2010, 04:30 PM
RC Group therapist
Hello Warhead,

I just found this thread and wanted to let you know I'm a huge fan of the Beaver. I may just have to take a stab at the beaver now. I live in Louisianna, so I'm not sure how the Beaver would respond to getting hot, and wet from the humidity, but I'll let you know. Keep up the awsome work your doing.

Regards,
-Mike
Apr 21, 2010, 06:58 PM
warhead 71... looks very nice. Yours will be a far more scale version than my FFF creation.

I still haven't painted her yet... but she does fly!

Apr 21, 2010, 08:09 PM
Always Ready!
Looks good Phillipa. What is the wingspan and what did you use for a cowl? Is that a KFm wing? I've had really good luck with the KFm wing on my 48" Blu Baby... great for a slow cruiser.
Apr 21, 2010, 09:58 PM
The Specs:

- Wing type: KFM2, with 1/4"x1/4" spar
- Wingspan: 41.4"
- Chord: 6"
- Overall Length: 28.6"
- Overall Height: approx 10.5"
- Wing area: approx 246 sq.in. (not including stab)
- AUW: 11.3oz (320 grams)
- HobbyCity 2730-1300 a.k.a Blue Wonder
- Turnigy Plush 10A ESC
- APC 9x4.7SF prop with aluminum spinner/prop adapter
- 800mAh 2S lipo
- 2 HS-55 servos

Oh, the cowl is a 2 cup plastic container from the grocery store... trimmed and painted ;-) I have a new one under construction that will be heat formed from PET (pop bottle)... hopefully I can get a little more realistic shape from it.

Don't mean to hijack your thread...

Maiden pics:

Apr 22, 2010, 09:00 AM
Always Ready!
Looks like a good flyer Phillipa. I made a very similar plane by modifying a BluBaby... also used a KFm2 wing. Great flying trainer... I still use it to train new pilots. Also, makes a fantastic night flyer with LEDs inside the wing
Apr 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
m25
m25
Nice Beaver philipa_240sx, I'd just suggest to get some beefier wheels for it. I have so much fun building cowls out of containers too, I love playing the find-the-right bottle game . Actually I have to find the right 12cm-diameter container for my Fokker D.VIII
Apr 22, 2010, 02:06 PM
Always Ready!
I wasn't satisfied with the recycled plans for the smaller Cub-type EDO 2000 floats, so I started from scratch and built 33" floats resembling EDO 4930's. I haven't figured out the shape of the float bottoms yet... might just be a one of those things I cut to fit once the rest is together.

Quick Reply