Big Pink Beaver - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 13, 2010, 11:04 PM
'Cobra Fan - P-39 & P-63
warhead - you make me LOL with that Beaver...that's some tight hairy curves you're shaving for the battery box access - good work! Nice and clean too. You can barely see the crack A look down your beaver's back box fuse reveals plenty of room - you got large equipment? Should be no trouble stuffing your junk in there...and recycling for the cowl - brilliant!

You seem to have spent a lot of time eyeing & enjoying Beavers...superb attention to details!

Innuendo asside - your big pink Beaver is tight!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2010, 11:10 PM
Always Ready!
At 64" this isn't really a giant, but it should be big enough to handle tall grass or choppy water, yet light and nimble enough to still fly it on a baseball field. The cheap DT750 motor has been my ticket to bigger planes -- makes 40oz thrust on 3S with 80% efficiency -- great for 1:10 to 1:8 scale cruisers if you build light.

If you like my Beaver, be sure to check out my Goose.
Apr 13, 2010, 11:12 PM
Always Ready!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengine
warhead - you make me LOL with that Beaver...that's some tight hairy curves you're shaving for the battery box access - good work! Nice and clean too. You can barely see the crack A look down your beaver's back box fuse reveals plenty of room - you got large equipment? Should be no trouble stuffing your junk in there...and recycling for the cowl - brilliant!

You seem to have spent a lot of time eyeing & enjoying Beavers...superb attention to details!

Innuendo asside - your big pink Beaver is tight!
LOL... my wife just glared at me for "chortling".
Apr 15, 2010, 10:34 PM
Always Ready!
The empty airframe is only 13.6oz so far.
Last edited by warhead_71; Jan 08, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Apr 16, 2010, 03:44 AM
m25
m25
Good job man, I love the beaver. Planning to build one out of epp but not any time soon because I still have some school left and a Fokker D.VIII yet to be started. Good weight for now, only the wings, they look a bit too long and thin at first sight; have you kept them scale or made them a bit bigger?
Apr 16, 2010, 08:43 AM
Always Ready!
The wings are scale - and I still need to add the wingtips. The Beaver does have long, skinny wings. The chord will be longer once I add the ailerons and flaps...

I'm starting to think about paint schemes... here's a really sharp Beaver from Misty Fjords Air in Alaska:

Photo Chip Porter

P.S. - check out Chip's 2010 Bush Plane's of Alaska Calendar
Last edited by warhead_71; May 10, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Apr 16, 2010, 10:16 AM
'Cobra Fan - P-39 & P-63
warhead - I won't tell her

The wings do look a bit longer (span wise) than the full size Beaver...maybe it's just the angle. And personally, I've often added a couple inches to the span when building a high-winger...I like floaters...(in the air I mean)...

LOL! - i just noticed the tagline for her pic - now I have to chortle! Awesome...
Apr 16, 2010, 11:00 AM
m25
m25
Yep, that was my impression too, but maybe that is because the body is not all finished yet.
Apr 16, 2010, 12:49 PM
Always Ready!
I will say this about 1/2" foam... it is a lot more rigid than 1/4". And not just because of the thickness. The 1/2" is higher density and more resistant to dings. I forgot to mention earlier that I skipped the former at the back of the wing.... doesn't need it either. The box-frame is very sturdy and doesn't twist or flex. I didn't originally plan to, but now I think I'll go ahead and cut out the side windows to lighten it up a little... it will still be plenty strong.
Apr 16, 2010, 04:12 PM
Always Ready!
The Big Pink Beaver will be naked no more. I have sketched-up up a new set of clothes for her.

I'm trying something new, for me... printing big tiled images onto 12x18 paper that I'll spray adhesive into place. Once glued down, I'll hit the paper with a few coats of clear acrylic spray paint to seal it... we'll see how it works out. Might test it first to make sure (A) I don't melt the foam with the adhesive and (B) the ink doesn't bleed when sprayed with acrylic.
Apr 16, 2010, 04:33 PM
m25
m25
good, because up to now it looks like a pink flying pig, not a beaver . the painting scheme is perfect if you have some snow season; looks pretty good in the white background. I'd think twice about cutting off the windows; it will still be a lot sturdy for normal flight but the wings are hanging somewhere in that area and removing them would also create a weak spot for nose crashes.
Apr 16, 2010, 04:56 PM
Always Ready!
Crashes? That almost never happens

Yeah, I guess I could go either way... If I cut out the windows I could add back some strength by pushing bamboo skewers into the foam either side of the big side bay door... that would help transfer the load around the opening. Seems like a lot of effort for something you can't tell the difference at 20ft away. This plane has such a light wing loading, and I'll be flying it off water anyway, so I hope any nose-over would be a non-issue.
Apr 17, 2010, 10:09 AM
Always Ready!
A little progress on the "Beav". The paper wrap worked out great. I just need to be careful not to get it dirty before I seal it
Apr 17, 2010, 02:42 PM
m25
m25
Looking good!!!
Apr 17, 2010, 03:48 PM
Prunner
Warhead I can't believe I've missed your thread here. Looks great. I have a sheet of 1/2"blue that needs to be turned into something, and some 3"blue that needs to be turned into floats too. Must finish the BF-109 first (H-J plans). Like the way the windows turned out on you paper skin too. Later Kris

Quick Reply