Big Pink Beaver - Page 107 - RC Groups
Jan 02, 2018, 10:12 AM
Retired CAD guy
Warhead: my CAD has a utility called "Flatten Developable Surfaces".

But if you are going to 3D Print the part then it's not very useful.

There are several little 3D scanners out there and I just thought that
Smaller parts could be scanned in and offered up in a Sticky thread
and scaled to suit who ever wants them. a 3D Parts bin of sorts.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2018, 11:05 AM
Always Ready!
This is what I mean by making just the rounded nose then wrapping it with a conical sheet of cardstock:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post24683406

Not mine, but this is how I would do it if I didn't have my peanut jar.

FYI, to get the "tapered" lower chin of the cowl I cut out a deep trapezoid shape from the bottom of the jar so I could spread the back of the cowl out a bit, then I added the chin-scoop to hide my cut-out.
Jan 05, 2018, 09:47 AM
Making progress on the big Beaver.
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Jan 11, 2018, 11:49 AM
Always Ready!
Looks like you added a ply floor... should give you something more substantial to mount your LG legs to. Looking good.
Jan 11, 2018, 12:03 PM
Caravan driver
Hi Guys, so those with whom I am connected on fb will have seen I lost all my computers and drives and more than 13 years of work and data to a nasty ransomware virus over the holidays. That includes my vast collection of model and full size research and plans and reference material - hundreds of Gigs of it gone . Having wiped my machines and resintalled operating systems to slowly rebuild my digital life I am on quite shaky ground with my network settings etc so when I try download the templates and plan files from this thread (again) to continue my Beaver build i get failures for some reason so could I ask one of you to email me all the necessary files (pdf's) to wingnutzster@gmail.com - I would be super grateful!
Jan 12, 2018, 10:46 AM
Always Ready!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutzster
Hi Guys, so those with whom I am connected on fb will have seen I lost all my computers and drives and more than 13 years of work and data to a nasty ransomware virus over the holidays. That includes my vast collection of model and full size research and plans and reference material - hundreds of Gigs of it gone . Having wiped my machines and resintalled operating systems to slowly rebuild my digital life I am on quite shaky ground with my network settings etc so when I try download the templates and plan files from this thread (again) to continue my Beaver build i get failures for some reason so could I ask one of you to email me all the necessary files (pdf's) to wingnutzster@gmail.com - I would be super grateful!
Sent through WeTransfer.
Jan 13, 2018, 06:35 AM
Caravan driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
Sent through WeTransfer.
Youre a rockstar! Thanks so mucgh mate - woohoo Beaver back on track
Jan 13, 2018, 01:03 PM
A little more progress on the fuselage. I decided to put the servos in the tail rather than use pull/pull cables...hope I don't have a CG issue. I need to come up with some 1/4 inch steel rod for the landing gear. I'm also waiting on a shipment of foam board from "http://www.modelplanefoam.com/" to use for the wings.
Jan 14, 2018, 11:35 AM
Always Ready!
1/4" steel rod is heavy! Get some aluminum plate or plastic bolt-on landing gear... will be plenty strong if you built light.
Jan 14, 2018, 04:17 PM
Aluminum plate would work if I can get some. I want the gear to be strong enough to handle floats eventually.

Here is color scheme I'm using...do you recognize it?
Jan 14, 2018, 08:46 PM
Not too bad I think.
Jan 15, 2018, 02:00 AM
Caravan driver
Nice work but please don't stick 1/4" rod in that size model Can't wait to see more, I start cutting the parts this week, so exciting
Jan 15, 2018, 04:02 AM
The weight of the partially completed fuselage is over 5 lbs. The flying weight will be close to 15 lbs.
Jan 15, 2018, 09:51 AM
Always Ready!
- nevermind -
Last edited by warhead_71; Jan 15, 2018 at 11:05 AM.
Jan 16, 2018, 09:45 PM
Landing gear installed.

Quick Reply