Mar 08, 2010, 05:32 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

F18 starmax 90mm - stingers replica fighter jet

Hi guys,

just done some work on my Starmax 90 mm ..... she was a Tiger !!! did not like the scheme but all the jolly rogers had no stock.... hard to get anything in the UK. Well i decided to paint her.

styro paint (pale grey)
decals dome with paint.net with papper from craftycomputerpapper.com
you guys in the USA have your own supplies. I have spent a good few days making the decals for her and if you would like them for FREE. just email me ile send the jpg images to you on A4 paint files. You may have to cut a few little bits out to get the tail fin logo right ... it only took me 10 minutes to get it roughly right. The jet is not fully scale to the Stnigers Squadron but its pretty much ther for a RCscale Model. If you want the decals ile send them to you if ya brave enough to paint ya Starmax jet.

set up

CHEAP CHEAP .... lol Hobby king 100 amp ESP WITH UBEC swith 4.8-6v (but it works and works well you realy dont need to spend a lot here I have many Kontronic german controllers in excess of 100.00 each but thats another story and you realy dont need this at this level)
Battery Thunderpower 5000 MA 22.2 or buy an equivelent TURNIGY are good value for money.... get an watts meter !!! it will save you alot of heart ache in the long run, most of you alredy konw that
AR700 SPECTRUM <<< WHO WOULD BE WITHOUT IT dont fly on FM you will get shot down one day...and it will all end in tears
any 2.4 ghz radio will do to get you started.

Have included some pics for you to look at any questions shoot away.

Jay

p.s will upload some videos very soon.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2010, 06:58 AM
Looks good. You must have got through some tins of RC Styro, I used about 3 for my Art Tech Eurofighter. I used that decal paper myself, works well. I had more trouble trying to make the markings etc than anything else. Did you clear coat the model when completed?
Mar 08, 2010, 07:52 AM
Thread OP
Hi Stuey, good to see some UK guys in ere, have you seen the Euro fighter on hobby lobby !!! http://www.hobby-lobby.com/eurofighter.htm

I havent coated it as yet I may do it laters.... yes it does take a lot of f**** around to get the decals to thier best but its worth it
Mar 08, 2010, 07:59 AM
Thread OP
2 tins of styro.
Mar 08, 2010, 08:00 AM
It is definately worth coating it to protect the finish and decals. I have used my airbrush to cover my KC F-18 with some Ronseal diamond hard varnish, and brushed it onto my Eurofighter. The brush finish worked ok over the RC Styro paint, as it has a smooth finish.
That Eurofighter does look nice, not sure it would get off from my smallish grass patch. I bungee launch and belly land all of my jets. I am also very tempted by the Eflite F-86 Sabre, as long as it is a decent model.
Mar 08, 2010, 11:36 AM
Stuey,

I'm in the UK and fly, amongst others, an Art Tech Typhoon. Mine is in stock livery but I have a few mods to boost strength for belly landing on grass. I canned the stock in-runner motor and ESC for a more powerful and lightweight outrunner, but have now upgraded the motor again to one that can handle 4s. On a 4s 2200 20C battery it is way more than 1:1 thrust to weight and vertical performance is unlimited. She really hustles along nicely. The motor cost just 10 delivered from a hongkong ebay retailer, so let me know if you are interested in any more details.

Si G
Mar 08, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hi Si, thanks for the info. How did you get a 4S pack in? I had to do a lot of surgery to get my 3S pack back far enough and add weight to the rear to get the cg right. There are a couple of pics of my Eurofighter in the thread for it. Sorry for the hijack!!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=103
Last edited by Stuey; Mar 08, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Mar 08, 2010, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
hey stuey like the euro fighter i was going to buy one of these some time ago ... but i got wind of a new euro on its way !!!! the one i pointed out at hobby lobby, going to order one of these

Quick Reply