Mar 07, 2010, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for very small but fully fuctioning and proportional scale boat

I will be building an ornimental pond on my deck this year and I was toying around with the idea of builing a scale marina/dock and bouys and channel markers and such so my son and I could have some fun running some small rc boats. I'd like to keep the size under say 8" or so. The problem I have is when I search for kits all I come up with is those junky toys with twin props and no rudders. Does anyone know where I can find kits like that?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2010, 10:10 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Look at how small (read light) a boat must be to be 8" long. Inside there you will have fit and float a battery, motor, esc, servo, and rx. I converted the Revell PCF Swift for r/c and had a chore getting all the stuff to fit, and that boat is about 12" long. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832333
Once you cross into the micro boat world it will either be expensive, or toy-like. I would look at some of the better micro toys, like the Graupner mini sub U-16. We ran one in a table top pool at a boat show and it was fun. There is a handful of micro boats out there as well, but consider them disposable.

Dave
Mar 08, 2010, 12:35 AM
Work induced time dilation...

Small/micro boats

I have done quite a lot of work with small boats recently. The simplest way to get a model is often to just buy a plastic kit and convert (try the Revell 1/108 harbour tug or any other small kit)

There are plenty of fairly cheap RC components that one can use. As far as servos go try some
3.7g servos http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...ec_Micro_Servo
or tiny 1.5g ones http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...rvo_1.5g_(Left)
both under $6!

for speed controllers you could use some graupner microspeed ones or for cheap VERY compact boats try hacking a servo and using the board as an ESC (there are guides online, just search servo hack)

Batteries that fit can easily be found to fit.

There are a variety of receivers available for RC planes with compact size and low weight, just search for the number of channels you want.

For motors have a look at https://secure.precisionmicrodrives...._selection.php
While I do not advise buying from there (fairly expensive) but it does give a very good idea as to which direct drive or geared motors are available for small boats.

I find that small RC boats often turn out a lot cheaper and easier to handle but can still keep fully proportional control down to a size of about 3 inches
If you want to forfeit proportionality it is possible to cheaply build models under 2 inches in length (I will be starting a 2.5" 1/400 scale tug for my QM2 model soon)
Mar 08, 2010, 08:50 AM
Cheif Bottlewasher
In the spirit of good humor ....

Build a bigger pond
Mar 08, 2010, 11:27 AM

Mini Motor

This looks feasible. Price is right too.
Item #
Mar 08, 2010, 11:40 AM
My suggestion would be converting a Lindberg Diesel Tug to RC. Search the posts here there has been many builds. I converted one about 20 years ago and still use it today. Here is one of the many threads. The models are still around just got to look a little. The tug is approx 10 to 12 inches long and powered from the 4 AA receiver batteries gives me about 1 1/2 run time.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884752
Mar 08, 2010, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Thanks everyone. It seems odd to me that there are many mini and micro cars/trucks/tanks/planes/helicopters/robots but for some reason no little boats. I know RC boats are less popular, but jeez.

I like the lindberg tug idea. I was hoping for a twin screw, but I'll take what I can get right now. The pond will be up to 12x6 ft so I should have room.
Mar 08, 2010, 02:04 PM
Submarines, etc.
microglass has 3 hulls you might like, instead of/in addition to the lindberg:

http://www.microglass.net/products/p1034.html

http://www.microglass.net/products/p1035.html

http://www.microglass.net/products/p1036.html
Mar 08, 2010, 02:37 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Thanks for the plug, Tim---.

Microglass has been producing the Lindberg replacement hulls for over 20 years, or ever since it was noted that there was a market for them.

Originally, the hull was rather pricy compared to the plastic kit, but in recent years, the Lindberg kit's cost has more than tripled---.
Mar 08, 2010, 11:03 PM
Work induced time dilation...

Twin screw tugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyspeed
I like the lindberg tug idea. I was hoping for a twin screw, but I'll take what I can get right now. The pond will be up to 12x6 ft so I should have room.
If you want something with twin props have a look at Revell's Smit Houston (13" long) or for a challenge the Smit Frankrijk (5.5" long) both are twin screw tugs with rudder steering (so no silly voith scheider to worry about) although the small one weighs only 25g so only gives about 15g at best for kit... might be a tight squeeze
Mar 09, 2010, 12:21 AM
I have a Carol Moran that is my smallest "working" fully functional boat (has a servo for power) it's 17 inches and pretty cramped inside.
Mar 09, 2010, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey225
If you want something with twin props have a look at Revell's Smit Houston (13" long) or for a challenge the Smit Frankrijk (5.5" long) both are twin screw tugs with rudder steering (so no silly voith scheider to worry about) although the small one weighs only 25g so only gives about 15g at best for kit... might be a tight squeeze
I was looking at converting the Revell Harbor tug and I was thinking that a stock esc/reciever combo out of team losi mini-t may be perfect for it. Only problem is getting the small servo to work for steering on some of these models. Just throwing the idea out there and looking to get a little input on the idea.
Mar 09, 2010, 09:00 AM

open (slightly OT) question

Why have the cost of the Lindberg kits gone up so much? For what may possibly be some of the least actual scale models suitable for conversion to R/C. One experience with their stuff 20 years ago was enough for me........
Foo
Mar 09, 2010, 11:31 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Getting small isn't easy. This thread started with a request for a 8", full function boat. Most of the suggestions have been for boats 12" or more. While still 'small', there is a huge difference between 12" and 8".
A guy in our club used one of the 9" Micro Glass hulls for a free-lance fishing boat. He used some small NiMH cells and a micro rx and pulled it off, even with the brass tower. He did increase the gunnel height, though.
If 12" will fit the bill, then you have (some) more options. In my Lindy Coast Guard boat I used the Tamtech gear. That's 'old school' Losi stuff. In my Revell PCF Swift I used a robot dual motor controller and micro rx. No rudder needed. Both are documented in threads in rcgroups.

Dave
Mar 09, 2010, 12:49 PM
GILL
I have built several micro boats for myself and others. Ranging from a 3 tug -22 inch New Jersey. For the very small I use servo for power, My Smitt Houston uses 2 servo motors geared 1.5:1 and rudder steering, it also has lights (running and cabin) and I can rotate the front crane. Crane rotation and steering are handled with 3.7g servos as is the lighting. You can see some of my work on my site at www.jsgill.net just look in the GALLERY in CONSTRUCTION.
If you want to go live steam I did a 8 inch POP POP boat with rudder and the candel on a slide controled by a servo.

Quick Reply