Aug 09, 2015, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555
https://youtu.be/O8UPtelgQmU
Having the desire to just be more than what others have expected them to be.. If only my planes could talk, I wonder what they would say. What would my UMX Pitts "Crimson Knight" and UMX Beast 3D "Thunderstruck" say about my UMX Corsair "Black Sheep" with the 2S Brushless Modification? What would my UMX Carbon Cub SS "Fireball" say about my HBZ Sport Cub S "Icarus" with the 2S Brushless Upgrade??

The Striving Heart of a Champion has always been a recurring theme in movies i.e. Rocky, where the underdog ascends to greatness. So far, I'm enjoying this movie.

my dancer would've OUCH, and a couple of other things. lol
well the old saying is get back into the saddle asap, I really haven't been in the mood to go flying, even flying twinney was average, and I'm really feeling hesitant to take up the buggy, I didn't need another bag of parts in my hobby room, but after test running the engine and having the sun finally setting and cooling off, I put the wings on and headed out,
it started right up and I went through the checklist everything good, powered it up and it floated off the ground, better response on the controls than I remembered and the final shimming of the engine eliminated most of the extreme trim,
The only problem is getting it back down, I've cut trees down to get more flying airspace, but the line up for the runway is between 2 theres plenty of space but it's still a little intimidating, any way I was heading for the line up and the engine quit, couldn't blame it it was idling for quite a while, so no low pass just land it, but even with no engine it doesn't want to come down, at the beginning of the field its still 16' or better high, but it landed at the end of the field and rolled to the high grass lol, upon inspection the mount bolts had loosened up and I think the vibration killled the engine. all in all a good flight, not an everyday flier, but when the weekend has the time it'll be flying.[/QUOTE]

Its always tough when something like that happens. And be it as it may, the only solution is to go up flying again with the best damn easy flying plane you've got.. a plane that you trust, one that won't let you down, and one that will make you realize why you love flying, all over again. I do think its funny that I have a name for all my planes, and that I think that each one has a personality. It helps me put them in the thought that they are more than just pieces of foam, circuits, motor, etc and makes me care for them all much more. Every one of my planes in my fleet are inspected pre and post flight, have regular maintenance checks, and are very well maintained, because I put it in my mindset that they are things worth taking care of. Its all in the minds eye.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Aug 09, 2015 at 10:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2015, 10:47 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Blaze, I do the same thing Man. I like to "putter" around and check and re-check stuff. Now it's getting down to organization of my tools It's crazy but, this hobby has done wonders for my health.

Mike
Aug 09, 2015, 11:01 PM
mutski
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555
well I checked the ailerons more that 3 times for wiggle and working the right way, thought I had it right, one last check before i gave it throttle and off she went, great take off but oops they were backwards
I hate stupidity, in my work and what i see around me stupid mistakes, luckily for me i realized my mistake and was trying to bring it around to land, but to no avail, I tried to correct and by instinct I hit it twice, it was rolled over and heading down, pulled up and heard the plane hit below the trees
there wasn't much left, the tail, part of the wing, the engine damaged, radio still works, that was the best plane I ever had as sad as i am and as disgusted as I am. I set up the buggy, hopefully I'll be able to get it up and back down, she's a little bit bigger and not set up like the dancer, in fact she's never had a complete flight but it was close before the winter set in last year.
I still have the cloud dancer 120 framed and waiting for the engine and final decision's i think I'll skip the retracts and just go for the struts, there's a 32 cc waiting for me to buy to mount on the front, and the servo's and linkages I also have, so by next spring it'll be ready. and maybe another dancer 60,

I'm so sorry to hear about your crash! I made the same mistake with my EasyStar II, and it took me a minute to figure out how I planted it. Luckily I crashed it in tall grass, so the damage wasn't catastrophic, and Elapor is a lot more forgiving that balsa. I hope you get back in the air soon!
Aug 09, 2015, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012
Blaze, I do the same thing Man. I like to "putter" around and check and re-check stuff. Now it's getting down to organization of my tools It's crazy but, this hobby has done wonders for my health.

Mike
One of the best therapies there is.
Aug 10, 2015, 02:09 AM
mutski
It was rainy this morning and too windy to fly this afternoon. I amused myself wiring LEDs on my FunCub to extend my sunset flying. It's positively dazzling... I hope I didn't overdo it!
Aug 10, 2015, 05:23 AM
Looks nice!!
Aug 10, 2015, 07:43 AM

keeping them flying

[
Its always tough when something like that happens. And be it as it may, the only solution is to go up flying again with the best damn easy flying plane you've got.. a plane that you trust, one that won't let you down, and one that will make you realize why you love flying, all over again. I do think its funny that I have a name for all my planes, and that I think that each one has a personality. It helps me put them in the thought that they are more than just pieces of foam, circuits, motor, etc and makes me care for them all much more. Every one of my planes in my fleet are inspected pre and post flight, have regular maintenance checks, and are very well maintained, because I put it in my mindset that they are things worth taking care of. Its all in the minds eye.[/QUOTE]

I agree, and right now thats twinney, and very smooth flying bipe,
When I used to instruct, I would go over the plane with the student, before it was assembled for flight and after the day was done, I still inspect my planes when installing the battery and work the controls before I take off, this one just got away with me, I did the precheck on the dancer too, but for some reason missed that the ailerons were backwards, it was the last plane I came here with 16 years ago.
with a little maintanence and an eye on the plane after you land, the fleet tends to grow quickly they last a lot longer, and really develop a personality, thanks for the interest sam
Aug 10, 2015, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski
It was rainy this morning and too windy to fly this afternoon. I amused myself wiring LEDs on my FunCub to extend my sunset flying. It's positively dazzling... I hope I didn't overdo it!
Wow, nice job! I'm sure that's gotta be one awesome night flyer.
Aug 10, 2015, 08:41 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Almost hit the tree on this landing. I still have issues with distance. I can gauge altitude. But knowing if I just flew over that tree? Or am just above it, as I come in for a landing. Sometimes still fools me!

Drifter Wax Orchard 250 (8 min 25 sec)
Aug 10, 2015, 11:49 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
Almost hit the tree on this landing. I still have issues with distance. I can gauge altitude. But knowing if I just flew over that tree? Or am just above it, as I come in for a landing. Sometimes still fools me!

http://youtu.be/Ibw7SGR9wNw
Yeah, it looked like you came pretty close to those tree tops Nice flight. I tried to find the front cam but, I didn't see any. How did you get that frontal shot of the pilot?

Mike.
Aug 10, 2015, 12:11 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012
Yeah, it looked like you came pretty close to those tree tops Nice flight. I tried to find the front cam but, I didn't see any. How did you get that frontal shot of the pilot?

Mike.
Hey Mike. The top down cam is an 808 keychain, with an lens extension attached to an alluminum straw sized tube... The main view is a Möbius under the wing. Which you can see in the PiP pic of the 808. Unless I move it back a little. In this pic you can see the 808 apparatus. The 808 main body is velcro'd to the side.
Aug 10, 2015, 12:14 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Here's another crazy view video, with the cam way out front.

10.0 magnitude earthquake at take off with all of the wobble. But once airborne. Pretty stable. Lol!

Drifter Wax Orchard 48 (5 min 51 sec)
Aug 10, 2015, 01:04 PM
Quote:

10.0 magnitude earthquake at take off with all of the wobble. But once airborne. Pretty stable. Lol!

http://youtu.be/KBFgPuty-og
Finally, a view of your plane. Nice setup!
Aug 10, 2015, 01:20 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Thanks Blaze.
Aug 10, 2015, 01:35 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Hey Mike. The top down cam is an 808 keychain, with an lens extension attached to an alluminum straw sized tube... The main view is a Möbius under the wing. Which you can see in the PiP pic of the 808. Unless I move it back a little. In this pic you can see the 808 apparatus. The 808 main body is velcro'd to the side.
Quote:

http://youtu.be/KBFgPuty-og
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
Finally, a view of your plane. Nice setup!
I must concur with Blaze. What an awesome set up. Very cool that your plane can carry an 808 and Mobius What is the wing span on that beauty

Mike.

Quick Reply