Oct 01, 2012, 08:58 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Great story. A proud father indeed. Nice to read about it.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2012, 10:00 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Wish me son could do that ,he is 8 turning 9 in Dec and has had about 20 odd hrs on sim and doesn't even want to fly for real...crazy,does my head in, he just likes to watch
Oct 01, 2012, 10:08 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
All kids are different I guess. Can't push them into stuff. I don't have kids but sure wish I had some to share the hobby with.
Oct 01, 2012, 10:13 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
A dirty little secret - My real passion is fishing. If I were childless and single, I'd probably be out poling folks around on the flats for redfish and tarpon as a guide. I was fooling around with the champ a few years back and saw him take an interest in it. He's got the personality of my father and my wife - very logical, follows instructions, likes to be exact, and very safety conscious. Basically, all the things that make for a good pilot. Fishing is something I do for 8-12 hours straight and usually only come home grudgingly. So, last year I basically hung up the rods and do my second favorite hobby because it's something we can do together and do it in a couple of hours.

It's been kind of tough in some ways, but after a day like yesterday, seeing how proud of himself he was, it felt like the right decision. Who'da thunk that this fly fisherman would have to concentrate on the "fly" part for a few years.
Oct 01, 2012, 10:44 AM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup
A dirty little secret - My real passion is fishing. If I were childless and single, I'd probably be out poling folks around on the flats for redfish and tarpon as a guide.

Who'da thunk that this fly fisherman would have to concentrate on the "fly" part for a few years.

Do both!

If you are ever in the Ft Lauderdale area, or want to fish the Keys, then look up fellow avid RC pilot and Keys Guide, Capt. Jorge. Specializes in light tackle, catch and release, back country fly fishing:

http://www.visitflorida.com/insiders...FishingTwitter
http://www.floridasportsman.com/2011.../tv_tv_guides/

If he is not fishing, then he's probably on the RC field with a new EDF!

Sapac L-39 taking off from the ground with out wheels. Vista View Park, Davie Florida (2 min 39 sec)
Oct 01, 2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob
Do both!

If you are ever in the Ft Lauderdale area, or want to fish the Keys, then look up fellow avid RC pilot and Keys Guide, Capt. Jorge. Specializes in light tackle, catch and release, back country fly fishing:

http://www.visitflorida.com/insiders...FishingTwitter
http://www.floridasportsman.com/2011.../tv_tv_guides/

If he is not fishing, then he's probably on the RC field with a new EDF!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_FOY...5&feature=plcp
Man, that's awesome! I've been dying to get back down there. I spend a lot of (summer) time down in the St. Pete area . . . hmmmmm. . .
Oct 01, 2012, 01:46 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
Parts arrive in two days. Flying full size planes on X-plane 9. Waiting.

Danny out.
Oct 01, 2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup
Man, what a great weekend. Saturday, my 7 year old surprised me with his sudden abilityt to fly the Champ, but yesterday took the cake.

My wife took our daughter to ballet practice, so I took the boys back to the flying field for a couple hours of flying. The place was PACKED! I think every member was there, each with everyone of their airplanes. it was a zoo, but the good kind. I got to see the new PZ Corsair in action and wow, I couldn't be more impressed.

I was a little disappointed to see all the people there, however, since the likelihood of my son getting to fly the champ on the runway again was slim to none. However, after a bunch of warbirds went up for a dog fight, everyone came down at the same time and there was a VERY small window of opportunity to steal the runway. I threw the champ down on the runway (feeling a bit guilty for sneaking him in, but I'd promised he could do it at least once). I gave my son the transmitter and he took off, flew it around, and then put it right down on the centerline, like he had the day before. Pretty cool from my perspective. What I didn't realize, however, is that he'd apparently been noticed by everyone behind us. I was sitting there feeling self conscious and guilty about letting him fly, and one of the members came up to me and started asking me questions like "does that thing have a gyro in it?" "no, just a stock champ, why?" "wow, I guess your son's been practicing a lot on the flight simulator" "No, actually, we dont' have one. This is really his second day doing this - kind of surprised me too".

At that point, the guy turns around an shouts out to the crowd - "Hey - this is this kids second day on the sticks! That thing doesn't have a gyro!" I turned around and see everyone watching him. And that's when my son gets a little over confident and sends the champ on an out-of-control lap on the wrong side of the fence, buzzing the onlookers.

He regained control, however, circled it around, and again, put it right on the runway. It came to a stop, and the entire field breaks into applause.

Man, what a cool day to be a Dad.
Bro, That is freaking AWESOME..... I cant wait till my little man gets to that point in about 6 years, since he is only 2 now..
Oct 01, 2012, 06:25 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Getta controller in his hands now .....just ta get a fell for it
Oct 01, 2012, 07:03 PM
Wow look what one of my friends got
Oct 01, 2012, 07:11 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Thread OP
Quote:
Sweet! Those ole L-4 Grasshoppers are a sneaky favorite of mine. You should ask your friend if I can ... borrow ... it
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Oct 01, 2012, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23
Looks like the gasser Beast next to it, also a fabulous plane. What a club!
Oct 01, 2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23
The Edge or the grasshopper? Or the entire flying field?
Oct 02, 2012, 02:12 PM
I was looking at the Edge 540. 150cc! The L4 flies nice too. It has a smoke system. Yes, that is the Beast 100cc. The pilot who flies it 16 and flies pro 3D stuff! I'm serious, he is a total pro. Everybody claps after he does insane stuff on that Beast.

Yup, this club is awsome
Oct 02, 2012, 02:20 PM
Parts arrive later today, or tomorrow. Flying club, here I come. Oh yea, I forgot...IT'S RAINING

Quick Reply