The "I'm going out flying" thread - Page 196 - RC Groups
Sep 22, 2012, 08:05 PM
I've been stuck at work all week watching the beautiful weather out the window.

Finally got out this aftenoon and put 12 batteries through the T-34, Maxford Ultimate, MUS, Eflite Grasshopper, and Herr J-3.

and my 11 yr old daughter put a great flight in on the J-3 as well.

Life is good!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2012, 09:18 PM
Diverted by planks
It rained all day today. All. day. It almost never does that in South Florida.

So, loaded up and ready to go for tomorrow are:
* Parkzone P47 (4 ea 2200mah)
* Mini Ultra Stick (3 ea 1800mah)
* Crack Pitts (4 ea 450 mah)
* 70mm RC lander F9 (4 ea 3300 mah)

Wish me luck! If the weather holds, that's up to 15 flights without recharging; that should scratch my itch!
Sep 22, 2012, 10:08 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Had a great flying day at the North Dallas R/C Club Float Fly at Lake Lewisville.

Ran 11 batteries through the Dynam PBY, the 1.8m Icon, the 1.09m Icon, the Electrifly Seawind and a friend's Eflite Apprentice on floats. Killer seaplane weather.....wind of about 2-3mph max, nice morning temps. Starting flying a little after 9 and had to leave around 2PM do do a little work.

Great event put on by a great club. Not a lot of other electrics there besides mine...there were two 150% Polaris models, a normal size balsa NorthStar converted to electric, two PZ Icons, a Slow Stick on floats and a PZ Super Cub on floats.
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Sep 23, 2012, 07:16 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Maiden of my new eyes today. Only 3 days after corrected vision laser surgery I had a flight on my MUS. Perfect!

Didn't want to stress the healing process, so left it at that. Watched my mates fly a variety of birds though which was just as good.
Sep 23, 2012, 08:07 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
Ordered some gear: New fuse for the T28, repair gear for the ember 2, some more batteries, and some monokote. Until it arrives, I'm grounded from flying. I can still watch the guys at the club fly the big 3D ships
Sep 23, 2012, 08:13 AM
ShopCzar
I'm up early (for a weekend!) to go out and fly before I go to work at the hobby shop (and I might fly in the parking lot there if it's slow anyway )
Sep 23, 2012, 12:17 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe

Finally got out this aftenoon and put 12 batteries through the T-34, Maxford Ultimate, MUS, Eflite Grasshopper, and Herr J-3.

Life is good!
That's AWESOME - you gotta love it when the kids fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob
It rained all day today. All. day. It almost never does that in South Florida.

So, loaded up and ready to go for tomorrow are:
* Parkzone P47 (4 ea 2200mah)
* Mini Ultra Stick (3 ea 1800mah)
* Crack Pitts (4 ea 450 mah)
* 70mm RC lander F9 (4 ea 3300 mah)

Wish me luck! If the weather holds, that's up to 15 flights without recharging; that should scratch my itch!
Good luck - man that sounds like some good times. I'm jealous and expect a full report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Had a great flying day at the North Dallas R/C Club Float Fly at Lake Lewisville.

Ran 11 batteries through the Dynam PBY, the 1.8m Icon, the 1.09m Icon, the Electrifly Seawind and a friend's Eflite Apprentice on floats. Killer seaplane weather.....wind of about 2-3mph max, nice morning temps. Starting flying a little after 9 and had to leave around 2PM do do a little work.

Great event put on by a great club. Not a lot of other electrics there besides mine...there were two 150% Polaris models, a normal size balsa NorthStar converted to electric, two PZ Icons, a Slow Stick on floats and a PZ Super Cub on floats.
WOW. jeez, that's just mental eye candy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer
Maiden of my new eyes today. Only 3 days after corrected vision laser surgery I had a flight on my MUS. Perfect!

Didn't want to stress the healing process, so left it at that. Watched my mates fly a variety of birds though which was just as good.
Good to hear the eyeballs came through well! I know that if I forget to put my contacts in, which I frequently do, it ruins my day of flying. I simply can't land. Can't imagine how nice it woudl be without worrying about it.

After a flippin hurricane here yesterday (when I could fly), it's nice and calm today. But, of course, I can't fly today.
Sep 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe

Life is good!
I hope I stick with it long enough to see my kids fly. I bet by then all the tx's will be tablet-like things. If I do, I will help them financially. My parents made me get a job to fly
Sep 23, 2012, 02:53 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup
I'm jealous and expect a full report!
And so I shall provide it!

Weather held up well enough (was drizzling at the end a bit) and I was able to do most of what I set out to do:

* Parkzone P47 (3 batts)
* Mini Ultra Stick (3 batts)
* Crack Pitts (did not fly -- since it hangs in the spare room, I forgot to load it!)
* 70mm RC lander F9 (2 batts)

The P47 flew great, but taxi'ing was brutal due to mud and torn up soggy field with water pooled on it. Still, once I got it moving, I just kept going! It's now muddy, but proud!

MUS was the only one that I could actually reliably taxi right from the flying stand to the field and back. Good old reliable.

RC Lander F9 flew great, since it is hand launch/belly land. I was able to put it in the middle of the field in the driest part for landing so it stayed pretty clean and dry.

All in all, a great day at the field even though weather was gray and threatening!

One of the members even brought a big Cessna-type plane with floats on it today, and it took off and landed fine from the soggy field.
Sep 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
Going out today to maiden my Polaris! Also bringing the Pete n Poke and Spacewalker.
Sep 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
Six flights today, two of them over 30 minutes.
Didn't break anything or hit myself this time!
Sep 23, 2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23
I hope I stick with it long enough to see my kids fly. I bet by then all the tx's will be tablet-like things. If I do, I will help them financially. My parents made me get a job to fly
Do yourself a favor. Go hug your parents for doing that. I didn't like it either when I was a kid. Then i went off to college and watched all those kids whose folks gave them everything wash out or fail later in life. Now i have plenty to buy airplanes and they are still learning how to work. And do your kids the same favor. Hardest thing for a parent is NOT giving their kids everything they want.
Sep 23, 2012, 08:19 PM
Btw flew the t28 with its new esc. Great couple o flights till i almost crucified it. Theres a big wooden cross right off my (church) runway and a nasty crosswind (pun not intended) that caught me right at take off. Would have been awkward next Sunday to have a speared t28 on that cross!
Sep 23, 2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup
Do yourself a favor. Go hug your parents for doing that. I didn't like it either when I was a kid. Then i went off to college and watched all those kids whose folks gave them everything wash out or fail later in life. Now i have plenty to buy airplanes and they are still learning how to work. And do your kids the same favor. Hardest thing for a parent is NOT giving their kids everything they want.
I guess you're right. I will understand that better when I grow up, but yea, it makes sense.
Sep 23, 2012, 08:38 PM
I hated it too. And my folks were particularly good about not giving me anything. Now that i have kids though i realize how hard it must have been on em.