Mar 25, 2016, 11:17 AM

Evader Decals

Does anyone know where I can get Evader decals?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2016, 11:10 AM
Does anyone have a canopy for the Evador. I have a brand new kit but no canopy
Sep 04, 2021, 04:44 PM
Hello, I recently acquired a Great Planes F-16 which is very similar in design and construction to the Evader. The F-16 also originally came with the same bungee launcher, but mine did not. Can someone please share the dimensions: OD, ID and length of the bungee and string. I'm not finding many details online. Also, any tips on bungee launching these planes? Thanks!
Sep 05, 2021, 08:12 AM
Designer/Builder
I have a GP Phazer and my own design Mig-17, which uses the same power plant as the Evader, and the bungee was pretty small in diameter. Maybe 3/16" natural surgical tubing, about 15' to 20' long with an equal length of string. I was using this up until this year when the tubing started to fall apart. I replaced it with much larger tubing from a 2m sailplane high-start.

I was not very scientific about the tension, etc... But what I found was that about 20 paces after the tubing was under tension, gave me a good reliable launch. It was easy to remember when on the field. I don't think with the stock bungee you could rip the wings off, you would just risk breaking the tubing.

Another option, that I have on very good authority, is to use 3/16" shock cord available at sewing stores and hardware stores. This has the feature that the outer cover will allow it to stretch to a point and then stop, so you will know exactly when you are at full tension. This will give you very fast acceleration (desirable) as soon as you let go of the plane, and then continuous pull to keep it flying. And the outer cover will keep the rubber from degrading.

For these planes, I have helper launch the plane so you can have both hands on the controls and launch with the motor off. Plane is slightly nose up with arms out in front holding the plane. The plane will drop a bit after release so be ready with some up as the plane accelerates. You will get a pretty good indication, pretty fast, if the launch is going to be enough to get it going then throttle up. If you don't have enough tension, the worst case is some grass stains on the belly (assuming the stake is not sticking up!). This idea here is no need to make the crash power assisted and suck crap into the fan. Always set up to launch directly into the wind to avoid the wind picking up a wing tip. Always use a metal "key ring" on the end and make sure it will come off hook with no resistance.

I've also had a HET F-18 in the past, and had a dolly (music wire axle and two wheels) that was tied to the end of a bungee. With the plane on the ground, the dolly held the nose up slightly and I had a foot pedal to release the bungee. Again launch was unpowered and if it wasn't enough I just got some grass stains on the belly. With this arrangement, as soon as it broke ground, I throttled up and was flying.
Sep 05, 2021, 10:59 AM
I built a rack-type launcher similar to the Jetapult from the Electric Jet Factory.
A 1/2 inch diameter silicon tube is eight feet long with 20 feet of cord shoots the plane to flying speed in less than a second.
The rack is staked at the foot pedal and the bungee end.
A foot pedal release allows for both hands on the transmitter.
I bought the bungee tubing from EJF.

I prefer a quick, powerful launch for jets. The hi-start type is for sailplanes and foamies.

I installed a 60mm fan (from The Don) in the Evader. Clocked the little guy at 146 mph.
Last edited by Fanflyer; Sep 05, 2021 at 11:38 AM.
Sep 05, 2021, 08:10 PM
Thanks Jim and FanFlyer! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for. I'll be reposting here after my maiden. Fingers crossed!
Sep 18, 2021, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sympster
Thanks Jim and FanFlyer! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for. I'll be reposting here after my maiden. Fingers crossed!
Maidened the F16 with the bungee today. All went well. Used 15' of 3/16 shock cord with 15' of string with a large key ring. The F16 is a good flyer but gets small quickly. Thanks again for all the great advice!
Apr 21, 2023, 04:29 PM
Im finally building my evader thats been sitting since they came out. Is the stock motor and fan decent or are there better choices now many years later?
Apr 22, 2023, 10:46 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
The stock fan and motor were always fine for me. Be sure to use the rubber launching system however, on takeoff.
May 07, 2023, 05:11 PM
1ONkar, Satnaam

Evader 60mm with 4000 KV Don's motor

Mine is ready with 60mm fan with machined rotor from Wemo. 4S 2200 mAh Battery.
Just need to Maiden her now.

satnaam
May 07, 2023, 07:14 PM
Good luck Satnaam!

It is small and fast, so you've got to stay on your toes when flying it. I wish you good luck!
Mar 29, 2024, 04:39 AM
Old thread, but anyone got one they would be willing to sell?
Mar 29, 2024, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLSPilot85
Old thread, but anyone got one they would be willing to sell?
I may have a second one of these. If so, I would be happy to sell it to you. I should probably consider selling both since I haven't used them in years. Very fun planes however.

Let me check tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks, Charlie
Mar 29, 2024, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heychas
I may have a second one of these. If so, I would be happy to sell it to you. I should probably consider selling both since I haven't used them in years. Very fun planes however.

Let me check tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks, Charlie
Great! Let me know

Quick Reply