Mar 26, 2010, 07:45 AM
Great to see this one, It is one of my favorite planes. A must have.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2010, 11:38 PM
Pat, found this new material and am very curious about whether the spacing of the corrugations will work... might also be light enough to work on the upper surfaces.

http://www.micromark.com/Metal-Sheet.html
Mar 29, 2010, 07:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAhab
Pat, found this new material and am very curious about whether the spacing of the corrugations will work... might also be light enough to work on the upper surfaces.

http://www.micromark.com/Metal-Sheet.html
Cap, The spacing on the full scale airplanes is 3", so in 1:8 scale we're looking at 3/8". The best bet for models like the one in the works here is to draw the lines in with a gray marking pen. It's way more effective then you might think without adding detail that will make the model appear "out of ballance". Too much detail in one area and too little in another will do that.

Got the last of the framing done over the weekend and the better part of the shaping and sanding finished. Need to make up the cowl mold and get that off to Sparky, then will proceed on the airframe. Will post pics in just a bit.

PAT
Mar 29, 2010, 11:32 AM
I understand, some of the FAC rubber scale planes are awesome looking. I'm building Mike Midkiff's Hellcat right now and will be drawing the panels lines in when done. Excellent looking 180 you're doing here, I'll be ordering one when the time comes...
Apr 02, 2010, 06:04 AM
some Pics soon I hope. sorry, just can't wait.

AP
Apr 02, 2010, 07:18 AM
Thread OP
Been making progress and do have a few new photos, will try and update later today. Meanwhile, the servos are all in and the motor and ESC are mounted, and the cowl plug is coming along nicely. Things are looking good!!!

PAT
Apr 06, 2010, 09:49 AM
Thread OP

Finishing Up the Framing

Got the framing all done and the major components dry fitted.
Apr 06, 2010, 09:58 AM
Thread OP

Mounting the Servos

Got the servos mounted and the control systems set up. Using E-Flite S-75's in the fuselage and S-60's in the wings. The access forthe servos and radio gear will be by way of a hatch on the bottom of the fuselage.

The Motor Mount went together next, fitted for the E-Flite 450 OR. Don't know where the battery will end up yet, will depend on CG.
Apr 06, 2010, 10:00 AM
Thread OP

Carving theCowl Plug

The cowl plug was carved from blue foam and is already winging it's way to Sparky. Can't wait to see what he does with this one.
Apr 06, 2010, 10:02 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Window Frames

The window frames and IP hood were cut from File folder and glued in place with Canopy 560 glue. The cabane braces were cut from Fondu Sticks and glued in place.
Apr 06, 2010, 10:07 AM
Thread OP

Rigging the Lights

I met the Guys from R/C Lights in Tucson in February and thought I'd try their stuff on the 180. You can see their great stuff at www.rclights.net.

The system is designed to run on power up to 8 volts, and draws it's power directly from the Rx by plugging the lights into the reciever when using 2 cells. Doesn't get any better then that!

From here I need to run in the rudder cables and do a last dry run to determine about where the battery might end up so an additional hatch can be added if need be.

PAT
Apr 06, 2010, 04:34 PM
OK, you got the right and left, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE WHITE LIGHT ON THE RUDDER?? Don't they have white lights on the rudder?? Just asking.

The Yank
Apr 06, 2010, 07:13 PM
56S
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeeone
OK, you got the right and left, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE WHITE LIGHT ON THE RUDDER?? Don't they have white lights on the rudder?? Just asking.

The Yank
Well, some have the red rotating beacon right on the top of the V-stab but the white light is located on the end of the tailcone.
Apr 07, 2010, 05:34 AM
Now this would make a great float plane, What does everyone think? I wish I could talk Pat into doing up a scale set of floats as an option to this kit.

Any chance Pat?

AP
Apr 07, 2010, 05:45 AM
A steady chants of "floats, floats, floats..." rises up across the country.

I would love on on floats, and I have a spare Eflite 450 hanging around too.

Jeff

Quick Reply