C-180 in 1:8 Scale for 5 Ch. R/C - RC Groups
Mar 05, 2010, 05:37 PM
New Product

C-180 in 1:8 Scale for 5 Ch. R/C

Just got started on the p-type for the 1:8 scale Še$$n@ 180. With a wingspan of 53.7" and equipped with flaps, the model should make for a terrific small field Park Flyer.

The C-180 will be powered by an E-Flight Park 450 Outrunner, E-Flight 30A ESC. and a 2s 2500 battery. 4, S60 servos will control the flaps, ailerons, and 2, S-75's will be used for the rudder and elevator.

Construction begins with the Fuselage side frames. Joining the frames then begins with the 3 upper cabin formers, using the LG mount former to space the bottom while the upper formers are glued in place.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2010, 05:41 PM

Joindery Continues Toward the Tail

To join the tail, the cabin is pinned over the plan to square it all up, then machinists squares, blocks and weights are used at the tail to keep the back end true while the rear former is glue in place.
Mar 05, 2010, 05:43 PM

Adding the Remaining Formers

With the cabin and tail joined and squared up nicely, the remaining upper and lower formers are aligned and glued in place.
Mar 05, 2010, 05:45 PM

Adding the Stringers

The upper and lower stringers are added next using 3/32 Sq. balsa to complete the basic fuselage frame.

Next up, the tail section.....

PAT
Mar 05, 2010, 05:46 PM
It flew once before...
Pat ,

Very nice subject ...I still fly my tattered MM C180
Just curious ...what are S60 servos ??

-John
Mar 05, 2010, 05:46 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Pat, you are a building MACHINE! I can't even keep up with all you builds lately

Oh - looking great as always!

Cheers,
Steve
Mar 05, 2010, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofrost
Pat ,

Very nice subject ...I still fly my tattered MM C180
Just curious ...what are S60 servos ??

-John
The E-Flight S-60 servo is the next size down from their S-75's. With the relatively small size of the flaps and ailerons, the 12.5 oz. in. torque qill be more then adequate to handle the loads. And, at just 1/4 oz. each, there won't be a problem with excesive weight in the wings which will always effect ground handling.

PAT
Mar 05, 2010, 05:53 PM
It flew once before...
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
The E-Flight S-60 servo is the next size down from their S-75's. With the relatively small size of the flaps and ailerons, the 12.5 oz. in. torque qill be more then adequate to handle the loads. And, at just 1/4 oz. each, there won't be a problem with excesive weight in the wings which will always effect ground handling.

PAT
Thanks Pat ,

I didn't realize that E-Flite came out with some smaller servos Might be a good candidate for my Mr. Mulligan aeleron servos ( thanks )

-John
Mar 05, 2010, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
Pat, you are a building MACHINE! I can't even keep up with all you builds lately

Oh - looking great as always!

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks Steve, I've had this one "in the hole" for awhile and am just now getting to the build. Should be a great flyer -- as just about every C****a airplane I've ever done has been.

PAT
Mar 05, 2010, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofrost
Thanks Pat ,

I didn't realize that E-Flite came out with some smaller servos Might be a good candidate for my Mr. Mulligan aeleron servos ( thanks )

-John
John, You know, they just might be -- and cheaper then the Diamond D-47's to boot.....

PAT
Mar 05, 2010, 05:57 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Ok, then, a question for you....What PCM plane did not fly to your expectations? (no cheating - such as prototypes and "oopps I put the battery too far back") I bet there aren't any

Cheers,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Thanks Steve, I've had this one "in the hole" for awhile and am just now getting to the build. Should be a great flyer -- as just about every C****a airplane I've ever done has been.

PAT
Last edited by steve1814; Mar 06, 2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Editied phrasing of the question
Mar 05, 2010, 06:23 PM
I eat glue
What ta %*&& is JOINDERY?? Another Pat Tritle word has been created and gifted to the modeling world.
Mar 06, 2010, 06:27 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
I'll follow this build with almost as much excitement as a DC-3 thread.

I probably flew 35-45 times in Alaska in 185 bush planes, so I'd want to make a few small changes to the tail and call it a 185.

Reading up on the 180, I learned that it was the plane used by the first women to fly around the world. Here's a pic, as it hangs for display. Not a shabby paint job either in case someone needs a covering idea...

-Steve
Last edited by Griffin; Mar 07, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Mar 09, 2010, 12:33 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
I think I just found what my next plane might be...

will dumas be kitting this one too?
Mar 09, 2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot
I think I just found what my next plane might be...

will dumas be kitting this one too?
Legot, I'll be offering the Short Kits for the C-180 on my own through the web site at www.patscustom-models.com. As soon as the p-type has flown we'll get the plans done up and get the kits out right away.

PAT