Thread Tools
Old Mar 05, 2010, 11:57 AM
Sov4life is offline
Find More Posts by Sov4life
Registered User
Sov4life's Avatar
Question

Circular polarized antenna question


I'm interested in purchasing a circular polarized patch antenna for my 2.4ghz video system. I see that on nghobbies there are two seperate antennas that are circularly polarized, one which is "left" and the other is "right."

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=164

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=163

Any difference between the two? and is there a higher powered version from any other vendor that might work better?

Thanks.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2010, 12:43 PM
Tarro is offline
Find More Posts by Tarro
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov4life View Post
I'm interested in purchasing a circular polarized patch antenna for my 2.4ghz video system. I see that on nghobbies there are two seperate antennas that are circularly polarized, one which is "left" and the other is "right."

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=164

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=163

Any difference between the two? and is there a higher powered version from any other vendor that might work better?

Thanks.
How far do you plan on flying from your GS?
Old Mar 05, 2010, 12:45 PM
Sov4life is offline
Find More Posts by Sov4life
Registered User
Sov4life's Avatar
Well for the first couple months of testing and configuration of my setup, I am looking to go no further than a few hundred feet. Once I get my diversity going I will try to extend that.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 12:49 PM
Tarro is offline
Find More Posts by Tarro
Suspended Account
I have been out over 7000 feet with a plan old vertically polarized 8dbi patch antenna. Circular polarization is great if you plan on doing 3D flying over 3000 feet out, but if you are just looking to fly around a mile or more out a Yagi might be what you really want.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 02:03 PM
Sov4life is offline
Find More Posts by Sov4life
Registered User
Sov4life's Avatar
Well the reason that I brought up the idea of using a circular polarized patch antenna was because I have been under the impression that they work better in an area with a lot of trees. Will a standard flat patch antenna work equally as well in a wooded area?
Old Mar 05, 2010, 02:33 PM
Tarro is offline
Find More Posts by Tarro
Suspended Account
Quote:
Will a standard flat patch antenna work equally as well in a wooded area?
Yes, the polarization of the antenna does not have anything to do with the RFs ability to penetrate objects. A circular polarized patch will help you when the plane is banking hard and angles the antenna out of vertical polarization with the GS antenna.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 04:58 PM
trappy is offline
Find More Posts by trappy
Suspended Account
trappy's Avatar
Tarro, it does actually work better through trees. Only marginally, though.

Long story short, if you only fly around you at less than half a mile, stick to the 3dbi rubber duckies. Up to 3 miles a circular patch is best. Anything above that you'll need diversity with horizontal & vertical polariztion - Yagi or patch won't matter for now, by the time you'll need either you'll be an antenna expert

I can't tell you the difference between left and right polarization, unfortunately. But I can tell you why you need circular:

You have 3dbi loss if you go with a circular at any orientation of your plane. With a vertical polarization you have no loss if you're lined up perfectly, but up to 26dbi loss if your VTx antenna is horizontal and your VRx antenna vertical. So, the circular won't go out as far, but it'll work better when your plane does a hard bank. The other antennas will give you greater range but less "freedom" to move your plane around.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 05:08 PM
Martin Y is offline
Find More Posts by Martin Y
400' ..... NOT
Martin Y's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post

I can't tell you the difference between left and right polarization, unfortunately. But I can tell you why you need circular:

You have 3dbi loss if you go with a circular at any orientation of your plane. With a vertical polarization you have no loss if you're lined up perfectly, but up to 26dbi loss if your VTx antenna is horizontal and your VRx antenna vertical. So, the circular won't go out as far, but it'll work better when your plane does a hard bank. The other antennas will give you greater range but less "freedom" to move your plane around.
Hey Trappy

You only need to worrie about RH/LH polarization when your doing site to site transmission. RH with RH/LH with LH otherwise from that there is no difference for what were using them for.

Martin
Last edited by Martin Y; Mar 05, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:00 PM
trappy is offline
Find More Posts by trappy
Suspended Account
trappy's Avatar
makes sense. thanks martin, one more gap filled


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion NitroPlanes SkyTrainer 182 Antenna Question mavericksfan41 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 4 Mar 03, 2010 05:57 PM
Discussion EZGP Prop Kit Question -Circular Ring outngo Hitec/Multiplex USA 1 Sep 26, 2009 07:21 PM
Discussion Advantage of a Circular Polarized Patch Ant? Mach61 FPV Talk 2 May 01, 2009 11:53 PM
Discussion Antenna circular polarization JIMOOO FPV Talk 2 Apr 26, 2009 02:57 PM
polarized or non-polarized radcast2 Batteries and Chargers 2 May 03, 2005 10:06 PM