New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2010, 10:59 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Discussion

*** Scythe 27" EPP FPV Racer and Sport Plane ***

We have been getting orders for Scythes to race in the 27" class of FPV racing.
This is a well tested popular design that meets the requirements for the racing class. It is also one of the best little carry along planes for park flying.

It is a great plane at a great price. you get two planes in the kit for $50 including laminate.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index...._17_The-Scythe

The Scythe is a 27" micro wing. It is now being bought by clubs that want an inexpensive but high performance 27" FPV Racer. See in the videos below how this plane can break the 100 mph mark even though it is only a 27".

The kit comes with 2 planes in the box for $50 including laminate for both planes. Yes!!! two complete kits for $50 including laminate. We offer the double kit so you can try different things with each plane.

Even though this plane flies fast we have been pleased with the flying characteristics of this small plane when people want to fly it slow. I think the biggest surprise is how well it glides even at 8-12 oz AUW. I designed it to fly like the big planes and it is much closer to their performance than I would have guessed it could be.

The Scythe is made of EPP foam and is tough and durable. The 27" EPP foam cores and elevons alone only weigh 1.3 oz making this a true micro plane candidate. How light can you build it????

Scythe setup park flying:

Use a 30C 750-1300 mA 3S lipoly battery (3 oz)
The battery cut out 2" back from front of wing
The radio slot is back 4.0" and is 8" wide.
The center of gravity is back 5.5" from the nose of the plane.
The flat carbon spar is back 5" on the bottom of the wing.
The flying weight with battery is 6-12 oz.
Use a 12-20A ESC, the Turnigy 2230-1780 motor and MG90S servos.
I fly the Scythe with a 2812-1534 KV motor and it is fast and nimble.

www.crashtesthobby.com

Lee

Running the Racing Gates with an FPV Scythe

Pine Tree Pylon Race (2 min 40 sec)

Scythe is running the gates in second half of video.

Racing a CTH Assassin Wing (3 min 8 sec)

Toms 114 mph Scythe

Tom's 114 and 100 mph Scythes (4 min 40 sec)

Toms 94 mph ballistic Scythe

Tom's Ballistic Scythe (5 min 35 sec)

808 #16camera on Scythe

Scythe Target Practice (3 min 32 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Nov 27, 2016 at 10:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:04 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Here are building instructions:

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/scythe-instructions.html
Last edited by Lee; Sep 09, 2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:04 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Reserved
Last edited by Lee; Sep 09, 2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:05 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
I have had two questions in the last week of how to cut a prop down for the Scythe. I fly the Scythe with the 2812 motor. The 7x6 prop is long enough for the span that I do get some prop torque on launch. Also I like to keep the plane lighter so I will sometimes fly with a smaller battery that will burn up if I pull the amps that the 7x6 prop draws so I will sometimes cut the prop down.

The smaller you cut the prop down the less air it moves but it also uses fewer amps which works well on lighter planes with smaller batteries and servos..

I safe my props that get the tips chipped on other planes to be used on planes that use a cut down prop. Don't use props that are damaged as you can see in the last picture.

I put the following with pictures on our website in the RC-information/motors page so you can find it again if you need it.

If I want to cut off a prop I find a nail that will fit tightly in the shaft hole on the propeller and drill a hole in a board that the nail will slide snugly into. I put the nail through the prop and into the hole in the board. I then clamp the board to my disc sander table and position it so the prop will touch the sander when I rotate the prop. When are rotate the prop all the way around it will cut the blades of the prop to the same length.
Last edited by Lee; Jan 07, 2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:05 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
This is a prototype motor mount that is attached only with Velcro.

I like my little foam and Velcro mount. You could also glue this style of mount directly to the plane without the Velcro and it would be tough enough. I like this design because I can switch the motors between planes including trading the receiver and ESC in less than 5 minutes. Since I now have 4 Scythes I don't want to permanently commit a full radio and motor set up to each plane. The only part that will remain with each plane is the servos and linkages.

Last edited by Lee; Apr 09, 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:36 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Reserved #6
Old Mar 05, 2010, 04:42 AM
Find More Posts by microkites
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Nice work Lee!

will see how they do

mk
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by Atom1025
Fly me to the moon...
Lee, curious if you have a "fool" proof way of cutting the roots, I have yet to find a reliable means that yield accuracy. Closest I have come is a chop saw but wing beds are needed to assure the foil is level.

Appears you prolly slice with a razor, unfortunately my hand eye coordination can not complete a true cut...... Usually by the time I am happy its 3" shorter then I planned
Old Mar 05, 2010, 07:36 AM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025 View Post
Lee, curious if you have a "fool" proof way of cutting the roots, I have yet to find a reliable means that yield accuracy. Closest I have come is a chop saw but wing beds are needed to assure the foil is level.

Appears you prolly slice with a razor, unfortunately my hand eye coordination can not complete a true cut...... Usually by the time I am happy its 3" shorter then I planned
Get your wife to cut the angle. Turn the heat up on your iron and melt the angle if you want. Don't try the heat thing on the elevons. Constant hand postion and straight even strokes with a very sharp blade work for me.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by nalby
Professional Toothpick maker
OK Scythe ordered I'm planing on making it around
22-24" , I'm going to try a hc1811-2000 motor w/ either a 4040,4540, or5030 prop on 2s, turnigy plush 6a speedo,
2 x bluebird 303 3.7g servos ( it's what I have on hand lol )

all the electrics come in about 55 grams.

What do you think,too light too heavy not enough thrust with the
5x3 prop I should be getting around 112g of thrust
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by nalby
Here's a Kesl Kfm4 wing I made 20" it's auw is 114grams ELE C10 2900Kv, 105grams of thrust 2s 360 I get 5-7 min flights

KESL20HD1 (2 min 54 sec)
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:16 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalby View Post
OK Scythe ordered I'm planing on making it around
22-24" , I'm going to try a hc1811-2000 motor w/ either a 4040,4540, or5030 prop on 2s, turnigy plush 6a speedo,
2 x bluebird 303 3.7g servos ( it's what I have on hand lol )

all the electrics come in about 55 grams.

What do you think,too light too heavy not enough thrust with the
5x3 prop I should be getting around 112g of thrust
You're a good person to have on board with the project. We need your input. Show us your motor mount set up. How did you make your motor mount strong and light?

I like the fins in the video on your micro plane. The Scythe will look good with something similar to them. I toe the fins in about 1/8" or more and they work better.

If you really want micro I cut this wing with a gentle taper and you could cut a wing down to 15" and get a double micro out of each plane. I would almost be willing to make a bet it couldn't be done but I have not seen planes that small that could perform.

One of our flyers prefers bamboo to flat carbon spars. We sent both in the kit for your to experiment with. When you get your planes you will find 4 wedge shaped foam pieces in the box. These are to use as you want for the motor mounts and they make good sanding blocks to clean the melt fibers off the wings. It was suggested to use a lighter weight string for the shock cord. I put 30# Spider wire braid in the kits. It is so thin and light it is almost hard to handle.

We mailed all of the Scythes that have been ordered so far. We even mailed a pair to Oslo Norway. I love this part of the test on a new plane. Thank you all for your participation.
Last edited by Lee; Mar 06, 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:28 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
I was out flying the Grim Reaper this morning. It glides like a dream. The Scythe uses the same airfoil and rough lay out.

I'm building 4 Scythes. Each one is different testing different sweep and construction.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by nalby
The motor mount i'm using is a piece of 1/16 ply hot glued to the foam. I think i'm going to need something a little stonger for the
Scythe. lol what angle do you think I need ? a couple degree's up or down
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:41 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalby View Post
The motor mount i'm using is a piece of 1/16 ply hot glued to the foam. I think i'm going to need something a little stonger for the
Scythe. lol what angle do you think I need ? a couple degree's up or down
Your motor mount is a great idea. It's simple and light. It is what I was thinking.

I think the Scythe will need a couple of degrees of down thrust with the motor aimed at same direction as the angle of the bottom of wing. (I hope)

The carbon strip on the TE I assume is for wing strength. Our shock cord offers strength there too with the spar more in the middle of the plane.
Last edited by Lee; Mar 07, 2010 at 10:27 AM.