Jun 20, 2017, 06:02 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Son is already helping with his first plane. He is already wanting to go fly it.

One of these is going to be a trainer for him, then once he gets good enough it will become his.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2017, 12:26 AM
I nosed my Scythe in really hard last month. No damage at all to the wing. I did break my 3d printed camera mount, but that was the only damage. I have my rates really high, and I came out of a roll upside down. I tried to correct but ended up doing a full roll instead of a half, then no more time to correct.

Here's the video:

Scythe - Hard Crash (Raw Audio) (1 min 15 sec)
Jun 23, 2017, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperrigo View Post
I nosed my Scythe in really hard last month. No damage at all to the wing. I did break my 3d printed camera mount, but that was the only damage. I have my rates really high, and I came out of a roll upside down. I tried to correct but ended up doing a full roll instead of a half, then no more time to correct.
WOW, those rates were really high! I have completely nosed mine under power and there is no damage! Amazes me..
Jun 24, 2017, 05:38 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Ok guys I need some help.

My build plan is to use ....
Emax 2204 2300kv motor
12 amp esc
3s 850mah battery
Props are what I'm having issues with. I have a ton of 4" props I am planning on using, same size as my quadcopter. Am wanting to use spare parts if at all possible.

With this set up am I looking at smoking the esc? Or am I good to go? I do know that the esc has blheli on it so I can tweak things there as well.

Thanks in advance guys
Jun 24, 2017, 08:59 PM
^ I have the same set-up as you are planning. I'm using a 5x4.5 DAL bullnose prop. My esc is a 12a but not bl heli. It all works fine and goes like stink!! Use 9g metal gear servos. Plastic ones will strip.
Jun 24, 2017, 09:27 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Awesome.

Yeah planning on metal gear digital servos

Ok now I need to find somewhere to purchase a motor mount. This motor didn't come with the metal "x" for the mounting. How would you guys suggest mounting the motor to the formica plate?

Need to figure the placement for the receiver, and motor mount. Them should be able to fly! Really considering soldering the servos to the board
Last edited by woogie_man; Jun 25, 2017 at 07:33 PM.
Jun 26, 2017, 05:50 AM
My scythe was feeling neglected since I have been flying some 'other' wings.. got to take her out for a nice sunset cruise.. still my favorite wing..

CTH Scythe at Sunset (2 min 17 sec)
Jun 27, 2017, 10:37 PM
My dog ate my airplane
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogie_man View Post
Awesome.

Yeah planning on metal gear digital servos

Ok now I need to find somewhere to purchase a motor mount. This motor didn't come with the metal "x" for the mounting. How would you guys suggest mounting the motor to the formica plate?

Need to figure the placement for the receiver, and motor mount. Them should be able to fly! Really considering soldering the servos to the board
Somewhere not too far back in this thread I recall seeing a link to a 3D print file to print a mount that will fit those multi-rotor motors to the Scythe. Of course you will still need to find a 3D printer to make one, but it seems like a lot of people have those things these days. You might be able to find the print file just as easily by doing a search on thingiverse.com? Otherwise you can probably make a mount out of light plywood that would work. Good luck, and be sure and show us what it looks like when you're done.
Jun 28, 2017, 06:29 AM
Honorable Deplorable
Yeah I have been looking for a few days now. I can find canted mounts, but nothing flat. I was able to find a carbon mount and that will be here Friday. I am finishing up the checkering tonight and then finalize a few small things and then just wait for the mount.
Jun 28, 2017, 08:22 AM
My dog ate my airplane
Here's the thingiverse link I found using a quick search for "Scythe motor mount" on that site, in case anyone else needs/wants it:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1869643
Jun 28, 2017, 10:20 AM
Honorable Deplorable
Yeah my googlefu sucks I guess. Didn't think about searching for "scythe motor mount"....... crap
Jun 28, 2017, 10:25 AM
How has everyone’s luck been with 3D printed mounts? I used an abs firewall one time and melted the thing.. are you guys having any heat issues?
Jun 28, 2017, 10:26 AM
Honorable Deplorable
I have a guy I work with that has a printer and is going to print one of these off for me. I will run some flights and get things nice and warm.

My initial thought would be to use a little tin foil to reflect the heat away
Jun 28, 2017, 01:28 PM
Experienced Noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftflyerkevin View Post
How has everyone’s luck been with 3D printed mounts? I used an abs firewall one time and melted the thing.. are you guys having any heat issues?
I printed that same mount in ABS, and it snapped during the test fit... lol... haven't tried printing it with PLA yet. Was my first ABS print with my new printer though, so maybe I mucked something up...
Last edited by kenjancef; Jun 28, 2017 at 01:34 PM.
Jun 28, 2017, 01:41 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
The foam mount does work well that comes in the kit. It may seem a little simple but if you use the E-tape it works well.

Quick Reply