Mar 04, 2010, 11:03 AM
SuperCub Crash Test Pilot
Gallery

ContourHD 1080p Test on a Hawkeye

A friend of mine recently bought a ContourHD 1080p video camera for his own aerial video usage, and he happened to be in town this past week so we tested it out on my Hawkeye. I was excited to try out the ContourHD camera, since I've been using a Canon SD960IS, and I've consistently been fighting the vibration issues associated with its optical image stabilization.

The first half of this video was shot in 1080p @ 30 fps mode. The second half was shot in 720p @ 60 fps mode. The video was then edited in Adobe Premiere Elements and rendered in 720p at 30 fps. You'll notice more lens distortion in the 2nd half since it uses a 135-degree lens angle for the 720p/60fps mode, as opposed to 110-degree lens angle for the 1080p/30fps mode.

Overall, I was very impressed with the camera's results in the 1080p/30fps mode. The only downside is that I quickly realized my computer (Core2Duo, 6GB of RAM) was a little under-powered for the video editing process as it really got bogged down trying to handle the 1080p footage.

- Matt

Hawkeye over Kiwanis Park (3 min 55 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2010, 11:18 AM
The edges look really soft on this camera....
Mar 04, 2010, 11:35 AM
Inciting Riots
The embedded window is so small that it is hard to tell anything except that once again it looks like it needs +1 or +2 exposure compensation.
Mar 04, 2010, 11:52 AM
SuperCub Crash Test Pilot
Talontsi96... Yes, I noticed the edges are soft as well. Probably one of the limitations with using such a wide angle lens in such a small package. Keep in mind, this camera was designed with the idea of using is as a helmet cam for "extreme" sports.

village_idiot... If you click on the Vimeo link just above the video window, you can see a larger version of it on the Vimeo website. Also, you can view it in full-screen mode. I would agree that it could probably use a bump in exposure. I've noticed this is the case with many CMOS-based cameras.

- Matt
Mar 04, 2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper453
Talontsi96... Yes, I noticed the edges are soft as well. Probably one of the limitations with using such a wide angle lens in such a small package. Keep in mind, this camera was designed with the idea of using is as a helmet cam for "extreme" sports

- Matt
In the GoPro Hero HD footage I've seen, the Hero seems to handle the focus a lot more uniformly even though it has an even wider angle lens. I think its a matter of a poor lens not the fact that its wide.