Mar 02, 2010, 10:51 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Mosquito "Scratch" Build from Gus Morfis Plans

Hi Guys,

Wanted to share some pics of my Mosquito build in progress. I started a couple months ago, and have snapped some random shots along the way...

This is my first scratch build, and has proven quite a challenge. The plans are from Gus Morfis, and it's a 1/12th scale Mossy, with 54" wingspan. I plan to put twin Thunder Tiger .15's in the plane, which seems like more than enough power.

Anyone with experience with this plane before? I've seen a few Mosquito build logs, but none from these plans. One of the difficulties in this scale is that most of the warbirds are larger scale, so parts, canopy, etc. can be difficult to come by.

Any advice or tips would be great.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2010, 11:02 PM
Thread OP

First set of pictures

Here are some of the first shots. I decided to start with the wing, since I knew I could do okay on that. I also started on the nacelles, since I dreaded doing them.

This plane is my first attempt at plancking. It's a steep learning curve, but I'm getting better....
Mar 02, 2010, 11:15 PM
Thread OP

Wings Part II

Next steps were adding wingtips, and then figuring out how to mount engines.

After a great deal of planning, and with expert help, the engine mounts were designed and built from 1/8" ply and 5/8" square rails.

The engine mounts house the fuel tanks, and the engines are mounted on rail which ultimately is glued to wing spars. Landing gear mounts also transfer forces to spars, so hopefully any hard landings will be handled well.
Mar 03, 2010, 01:03 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Looks like you've gotten a lot of work done already. Nice work.
Mar 03, 2010, 06:40 PM
Looks great got this one bookmarked, keep it coming
Mar 03, 2010, 08:46 PM
Thread OP

Nacelle Work

My plan is to be able to remove both top and bottom of nacelles. The front ply ring behind the spinner is split, and attaches to the front of the rail of the engine mount. There are small tabs which hold each half of the ring together, thus holding the nacelle together in front. The top will have a small screw into ply block in top of wing. The aft portion of the nacelle will have tiny screws attaching to rear portion of wing.

I took 1/2" balsa sheets and glued together blocks. Then lots of sanding to shape into something resembling nacelles.
Mar 03, 2010, 08:52 PM
Thread OP

More Nacelle Work

After some carving, beginning to take shape...

Lots of time with the sanding block.
Mar 07, 2010, 06:14 PM
Thread OP

Fuselage Work

The fuselage of this plane is pretty simple. I used 3/32" plancks, about 1/4" width. I think that the nose block took more time than building the fuselage and the plancking.

Am starting work on the tail, where I want to design detachable surfaces and internal linkages.
Mar 11, 2010, 09:03 PM
Good luck Falcon,
Looks like a really cool project. It'll be fun to watch.

Tom
Mar 12, 2010, 12:07 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Tom!

Will post more pics this weekend. I'm trying to fit wing to fuselage...
Mar 16, 2010, 09:08 PM
Thread OP

More Fuselage. Tail assembly

Finally overcame the anxiety and made cut outs for the wings. A pretty good fit! Now starting to look more like an airplane.

For the tail, I wanted to design a tail assembly which can come apart for access to internal linkages as well as repairs (hopefully not necessary).
Mar 25, 2010, 04:53 PM
Progress? Looking good.
Mar 26, 2010, 10:53 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Mike.

Progress is slow. Sanding and sanding, and filling gaps. Will post more when I start working on linkages and fit everything together before glassing.

Any color scheme ideas? Suggestions? I like the camo top and night flyer underside, and may go with that scheme.
Apr 01, 2010, 08:01 PM
Zor
Zor
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Falcon
Thanks Mike.

and fit everything together before glassing.
What are you planning to use for "glassing" ? ? ?
May 09, 2010, 11:47 AM
Did I ever email you those color profiles? I can't remember if I did or not.

Quick Reply