Thread Tools
Dec 01, 2012, 10:48 PM
Flarpy
flarpy's Avatar
Why do I always pound posts out, then come back and read them and need to modify?? Don't judge me on my first drafts...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2012, 12:56 AM
Gone 2 Drone Darkside! FPV FAA
Mr Whirl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarpy View Post
Why do I always pound posts out, then come back and read them and need to modify?? Don't judge me on my first drafts...
No judgement here. I don't think I have written many posts that I haven't gone back re-read, re-thought, righted errors & revised, sometimes even a couple times.

I only wish that I could magically revise something I verbally blurted out & at times take back before any damage has been done.
Dec 02, 2012, 01:02 AM
Hold Down The West!
cryhavoc38's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarpy View Post
Attachment 5342995Attachment 5342996Attachment 5342997
The SBACH is coming along. Having a great time putting this sexy airframe together. (Own it flop!!' She's SEXY!!)

Guys, do me a favor, try to forget about Joe's shop when looking at my junkyard of a shop.
Cry, ill refer Josh to Harv for the Raven. , after all harv probably did superior job building it. )))))))))). Just kiddin Cry, Love ya man!!
Attachment 5343005
lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro bro steve View Post
Dam I was nearly homeless . I once bought my wife a kirby vacuum with all the attachment for a christmas present I will never live it down.
WARNING HUSBANDS - Stay Out Of The Dog House (4 min 42 sec)
Dec 02, 2012, 01:16 AM
Flarpy
flarpy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarl Of Whirl View Post
No judgement here. I don't think I have written many posts that I haven't gone back re-read, re-thought, righted errors & revised, sometimes even a couple times.

I only wish that I could magically revise something I verbally blurted out & at times take back before any damage has been done.
Thanks Dude!! Makin me feel better. Amen on the verbal reversal.
Dec 02, 2012, 01:22 AM
Hold Down The West!
cryhavoc38's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarpy View Post
Thanks Dude!! Makin me feel better. Amen on the verbal reversal.
what had you said that you needed to clean up
Dec 02, 2012, 01:31 AM
BlackTim
Please give me some info about your Raven. hcannon24@comcast.net
Dec 02, 2012, 02:23 AM
aka JetMan Joe
MCSGUY's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarl Of Whirl View Post
Im getting Joe that stuffed cat quad copter as his gift. You said RC centric. lol
I'm sure I'd lose it in the gift exchange wiith this group
Dec 02, 2012, 11:52 AM
Flarpy
flarpy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
what had you said that you needed to clean up
Just stupid typos, and overall clarity. Oh ya, something about yo momma too.
Dec 02, 2012, 03:11 PM
You brought two too many.
FlopGun's Avatar
Check out the new plane hauler. I could put a 50% plane in this thing.
Dec 02, 2012, 03:56 PM
Yin & Yang
Liberty10's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
This was very funny. I must be one lucky SOB. My wife asked for a weed trimmer for xmas last year. The year before she wanted a new leaf blower. Of course I got them for her but being a fairly intelligent (at times anyway) man I also got her earrings, a pearl necklace, a camera, and a new laptop. No dog house here even by accident here
Dec 02, 2012, 03:57 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
Check out the new plane hauler. I could put a 50% plane in this thing.
Nice hauler John. Sure makes it convenient does'nt it?
Dec 02, 2012, 04:20 PM
Gone 2 Drone Darkside! FPV FAA
Mr Whirl's Avatar
Crack Yak S (Super) Reporting For Duty!

Setup
2x 4g Digital servos (rudder/elevator) Twisted Hobbys
1x 9g Digital servo (ailerons) Twisted Hobbys
Out-runner1450kv 24g Twisted Hobbys
Esc 12 Amp Twisted Hobbys
2s 325mah lipo battery Thunder Power
9x4.3 Tuff Prop
AUW 194g

Super Crack Enhancements
Cross drilled carbon spar & hollow carbon tube torsion bar.
Carbon tube reinforcement tail
Carbon Control horn, push rod guides, motor mount & landing Gear.
Micro Ball Links
Rubber bushing motor mounting for adjustable thrust angle.
Polystyrene angle stk motor / fuselage reinforcement
Blenderm tape reinforced hinge points

Notes
I think there is still an additional 20grams that could be shed. Lighter 19g motor / 20g Lipo / 5g hollow carbon spar / Less Welders glue usage / Etc. My custom hollow spar turned out too thick 7mm & too heavy 15g so I opted with plan B an extensively cross drilled & lightened solid carbon spar 3mm thick at 10g. The stk wood spar weighs 7g but was not nearly as torsionally stiff. I also ended up with slight alignment issue with the elevator servo, control arm & push rod guides which reduced elevator travel to 45 degree verse a potential 60. A Lesson learned for next build. We will see if all the effort and R&D makes any difference in flight performance.
Last edited by Mr Whirl; May 08, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
Dec 02, 2012, 05:54 PM
Gone 2 Drone Darkside! FPV FAA
Mr Whirl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
Check out the new plane hauler. I could put a 50% plane in this thing.


Oh that is such nice touch. Propeller mittens for those nasty cold days of flying. You think of everything Flop. lol
Dec 02, 2012, 06:14 PM
Registered User
For the Crack Yak, it's worthwhile to have an 8x4 propeller on hand for comparison - you may like it better than the 9x4.3.
Dec 02, 2012, 06:21 PM
aka ECAA3D
m0dest's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarl Of Whirl View Post
Crack Yak S (Super) Reporting For Duty!

Setup
2x 4g Digital servos (rudder/elevator) Twisted Hobbys
1x 9g Digital servo (ailerons) Twisted Hobbys
Out-runner1450kv 24g Twisted Hobbys
Esc 12 Amp Twisted Hobbys
2s 325mah lipo battery Thunder Power
9x4.3 Tuff Prop
AUW 194g

Super Crack Enhancements
Cross drilled carbon spar & hollow carbon tube torsion bar.
Carbon tube reinforcement tail
Carbon Control horn, push rod guides, motor mount & landing Gear.
Micro Ball Links
Rubber bushing motor mounting for adjustable thrust angle.
Polystyrene angle stk motor / fuselage reinforcement
Blenderm tape reinforced hinge points

Notes
I think there is still an additional 20grams that could be shed. Lighter 19g motor / 20g Lipo / 5g hollow carbon spar / Less Welders glue usage / Etc. My custom hollow spar turned out too thick 7mm & too heavy 15g so I opted with plan B an extensively cross drilled & lightened solid carbon spar 3mm thick at 10g. The stk wood spar weighs 7g but was not nearly as torsionally stiff. I also ended up with slight alignment issue with the elevator servo, control arm & push rod guides which reduced elevator travel to 45 degree verse a potential 60. A Lesson learned for next build. We will see if all the effort and R&D makes any difference in flight performance.
Pretty good flying weight on that and it isn't the CYL.

I was sort of worried about the natural EPP hinges and figured I would slap hinge tape on at some point. I tore the edge of one hovering indoors and I ended up applying a thin layer of welders to the edges and center of each on the underside and they have been solid since. Welders is crazy good stuff for these. Goop(lowes) worked faster and cleaner and just as tough as the 2nd built with Welders and had a lighter frameweight of about 1/3oz. Could have weighed the foam to be sure it wasn't the glue which is a bit much for me but I was pretty positive I used the Welders a bit more sparingly.

The Goop cleaned up really good. Sort of dried out and rolled off when applying a bit of alcohol vs the Welders smearing. I'm not going to bother with Welders after this last tube is gone.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 3DHS Aspera - p/u only, Seattle or Portland Earthbound Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Feb 26, 2009 08:16 PM
Cool seattle area pilots b36roxs Slope 0 Jul 26, 2008 01:32 PM
A Few Wood Built-up 3D Planes in the Seattle Area xwingnut Non R/C Items (FS/W) 4 Jan 07, 2008 08:12 PM
Sold Parkzone Typhoon 3D (Seattle area only) price reduced to $100 corsha99 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Feb 04, 2007 12:44 PM
Seattle Area Pilots, lets fly this weekend Todd Long Electric Plane Talk 9 Sep 08, 2001 04:40 AM