This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 02, 2010, 03:59 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
Build Log

Century Swift 16

I picked up a NIP Swift 16 kit with motor/Esc/pinion combo along with some Hitec digital servos off of a ezoner in late January. I have been building it slowly here and there as I get time.

Current Setup (Apr 2010):

Swift 16 stock kit
Century 600+ brushless motor
CC Ice 100 ESC
9 tooth pinion
CC BEC Pro
Spektrum AR7000
HS 5475HB (3) Cyclic
Futaba 401/9254
Turnegy 5S 5000 20C packs (2)

Highlights:
This thing is easy to work on because everything is not tiny like with micros. So far the build has been positive experience and I have enjoyed it. The kit was missing the tail thrust bearings, but a quick email to Century and they sent me the missing parts for no-charge. I have paid attention to how smoothly everything operates and to fix it if it does not move smoothly.
Last edited by cactus; Apr 14, 2010 at 12:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2010, 04:03 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
Update:

I have the servo to swash links setup and have a level swash throughout the pitch range. I got the tail completed, now it just has to be setup in the radio for gyro gain, etc....

Todo: Complete head setup and program throttle and pitch curves in Dx7. Not sure if I am going to go with a curve or use the GOV mode in the ESC with a flat curve. Also I need to wire my lipo packs to charge on the CellPro 10s and mount the battery holder underneath.
Mar 23, 2010, 03:31 PM
Committed heli addict...

Swift Build

So how's the build going? I havent seen anything posted here or on hf in a while. I'm still waiting on my esc, bec and will be buying a motor as soon as my funds clear from selling on ebay.
Mar 23, 2010, 05:40 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixheli
So how's the build going? I havent seen anything posted here or on hf in a while. I'm still waiting on my esc, bec and will be buying a motor as soon as my funds clear from selling on ebay.
Basically I am done, but need to do some adjustment and testing. I got a connector on my pack last night, so I need to charge it and then try some run-ups to see if I guessed on the gyro gain correctly as well as look for vibs. I am also going to be swapping out the stock paddles for Hawk ones when they come in the mail. Also working on a way to mount my lipo without removing the canopy every time.
Mar 25, 2010, 01:44 PM
Committed heli addict...

Bec

I'm curious, did you go with an Rx pack or use a bec? If so what did you use?
Mar 25, 2010, 02:10 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixheli
I'm curious, did you go with an Rx pack or use a bec? If so what did you use?
I am using a CC BEC Pro wired to the ESC leads going to the battery. Years ago I had a JR Voyager E with a Konktronics Smile ESC and I used a Koolflight BEC without a problem.
Mar 28, 2010, 11:18 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP

Ran into an issue tonight...

I went to try a spool up this evening on the Swift and I am having a strange issue I cannot figure out.

I checked belt tension and gear mesh and it looks good. When I hand spin the 600+ motor counter-clockwise the main gear turns clockwise along with the head. The tail turns counter-clockwise (looking on the left side) up into the rotor.

So I go to run it up on the ground by adding some throttle to get it started and it appears to be turning correctly then ratchets to a stop like the tail is being held from moving. The tail only moves about one turn and then the motor stops. The ESC is set for soft-start no gov and I have a throttle curve on normal as 0 60 85 85 85 in the Dx7.
Mar 29, 2010, 12:35 AM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
This just gets more interesting....

Motor spins up just fine with a 3S 3000mah pack connected to it, but when I hook up the 5S 5000mah pack it shudders and stops.
Apr 04, 2010, 01:14 AM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
I have tried the following without success yet:
- Replaced ESC/Batt connectors
- Removed CC BEC pro and powered RX directly from an 4.8v rx pack.
Apr 14, 2010, 12:30 AM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP

Update

After installing new bullet connectors on the motor and trying an ICE 100 ESC it is working perfect. One thing is the ICE does not allow the canopy grommets to line up in the back and fit in the same location as the Century unit, so I reconfigured everything so radio gear is aft and the Castle Creations duo is up front on the tray. I ordered the carbon battery mount to sling the 5s 500mah lipo.

I hovered this configuration (old gear locations) last weekend at the field and it is solid but needs some work on tracking and gyro gain. I used my covering iron on the woodies as they had very loose sections of covering.
Apr 26, 2010, 09:52 AM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
Have logged 6 flights now with this configuration and so far so good. I love how big and stable this heli is. I set the timer on the dx7 for 7 mins and the packs end up around storage charge after. The ICE 100 is great for pulling down the logs after each flight to monitor amps, temps and HS.

I upgraded to the heavy duty landing gear last week and I like it.
May 31, 2010, 07:16 PM
Committed heli addict...
I broke the old landing gear last week and the beefy one's just came in memorial day weekend. Much tougher.
May 31, 2010, 09:21 PM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP
I like the heavier gear myself. I really enjoy flying the swift. It is virtualy stress free flying.
Aug 20, 2010, 10:37 AM
< 250g FPV
Thread OP

Update

I'm now flying the Swift with a 10T pinion and have my flight modes set at 1600, 1700 and 1800 respectively. My 1700 HS mode is full pitch with no DR and a small bit of expo to smooth things out. I also recently sold my Dx7 to MountainSax here on RC groups and I am setup on a JR 9503.
Aug 20, 2010, 11:17 PM
Committed heli addict...
I'm eventually getting an nx, stretching it for 620mm blades and then possibly go fbl with 2 or 4 blades without estab. I may also experiment with low hs, in the ranges of 1000-1200 rpm. I seen a vid of 620se at 1100rpm and it had a nice choppy heli sound to it.

I figure a 560kv on 9 or 10T will get about 1000-1100rpm.

Btw, how much pitch did you manage to squeeze out of your swift 16?

Oh, found the vid:

Test flying home-made rotor blades. (2 min 7 sec)
Last edited by phoenixheli; Aug 20, 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply