Apr 07, 2010, 08:29 PM
I read elsewhere on the "180" thread that there is a lot of support for Pat to build a set of floats for the 180. I think the need is just as compelling for floats for his Piper models. After all, a good percentage of Super Cubs seen in Alaska are on floats.

So how about it Pat? Maybe you could stockpile 2 or 3 models with floats, and wait until you could take a vacation near some good float-flying water to test and trim them out.

Anyway, my vote is for some nice 1/8 scale Edo's, or Bauman's, etc. for your fleet of Pipers and others too.

AmpAce
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Trey, The Pacer looks great, will be curious to hear your take on how effective the flaps are at the slightly increased weight over the p-type. At 25 oz. mine slows down real well with 45 degrees of flap -- even up here in the stratosphere...

PAT
Needless to say the flaps are nice. We finally got some calm weather over here on the plains. Made two flights this evening tweakng the flaps. I settled on a 30 degree setting, my radio is either flaps up or flaps down, so in the middle of the two prescribed settings is where I started. Since this plane wound up coming in at a porky 28.5 ozs, (approx.) I found myself using a 10x4.7sf prop and 3s 1320mah TP battery. With this set up I am able to take off with 2/3 throttle and coast around at 1/2. The 2s 1550 mah battery flew the plane, but I had no rerserve power. At any rate, both take off's were with a clean wing, and both landings a dirty wing. And, Pat you were right about the effectiveness of the flaps, for on both of the landings, as I started the flair, the plane had a extreme tendency to want to fly again. The little booger shoots up with too much up elevator. With all that said..................Awesome flying little plane!! Cudos, Pat!!

Trey
Apr 11, 2010, 12:15 PM
I eat glue
Cool! I'm waiting for more silkspan to arrive so I can finish covering my Super Cub. Haven't decided if I'm putting my 3" Trexlars on it or not. I think the auw is around 18.5-19 ounces with the Trexlars, so should still be able to fly quite well with the 2s pack. I know my L-4 can climb like a monkey on an old 2s, and that's at 17 ounces.
Apr 29, 2010, 12:45 PM
Thread OP

The Pacer Short Kit is Now Nvailable, so No More Need to Convert

Got the June issue of Flying Models magazine featuring the Pacer Construction Article. That means that the short Kit can be released dedicated to building the Pacer without having to do the conversion. The kit is available two ways; fisrt as wood and plastic only, and also with plans should you not have access to FM magazine. You can order directly from the web side here; http://patscustom-models.com/Pacer%20Short%20Kit.htm

PAT
Apr 29, 2010, 01:27 PM

what is happening

hey how r things
May 02, 2010, 08:27 PM
I can't access Pat's website; can someone tell me the wingspan of the Pacer, please?

Never mind, got it.
Last edited by jeepers1940; May 02, 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Update
Sep 12, 2013, 07:42 AM

4 cycle power for Pacer?

I am trying to find a suitable rc plane for my OS FS-20. (or possibly a new FS-30) Would the Pacer be a good choice? What mods would I need to do?
Sep 12, 2013, 08:17 AM
You cannot put a glow engine in this kit, or any of Pat's electric kits without significant modification.

Some electric kits are built stoutly, and can handle a glow conversion with a little work. Pat's kits are built similar to free flight models, which makes them very light and fly very well, but only suitable for electric power.

The first kit that comes to mind when you mention a .20 4 stroke is the out of production Top Flite Elder 20. It was designed around a .21 4stroke. They pop up occasionally in the for sale section and on ebay. Good luck.
Sep 12, 2013, 08:26 AM
I eat glue
Agreed, you would end up destroying the airplane just trying to start it!
Sep 12, 2013, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
RC, Baldguy's right, these airframes are just to lighly built to take glow power. To make it work, the best description of the mod would be -- re-design.

PAT
Sep 14, 2013, 11:25 AM

Piper Pacer for OS .20 4-stroke

Just what the doctor ordered: Flying Models offers a r/c Piper Pacer designed for the OS .20 4-stroke. Their plans catalog is searchable on their web site.

Quick Reply