Mar 15, 2010, 12:24 AM
Closed Account
I'm kinda partial to this one:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Piper...cer/0868691/M/

There are a couple more of the same plane, a Tri-Pacer converted to a Pacer. Also on airliners.net...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2010, 08:16 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Trim

Well, after much thought I desided to go with white with yellow and metalic brown trim -- just wanted to be a bit different this time. The graphics should be arriving from Callie tomorrow or Thursday to finish up the trim. Meanwhile, it looked like a real good time to get the windows in while we waite.
Mar 16, 2010, 08:17 PM
Thread OP

Fitting the Wheel Pants

The cowl and pants got the color and clear coats last week so were ready to install. No real trick here, just a matter of putting it all together.
Mar 16, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thread OP

Setting Up the Wings

Got the aileron and flap hinges glued up this morning and then set up the pushrods and got things adjusted to neutral. This time there's a V-bend in the rods in case a bit of fine tuning is needed later.
Mar 16, 2010, 08:25 PM
Thread OP

Adding a Few Details

The wing root fairings and gas tank covers were made up from .010 Evergreen Styrene sheet with the screw heads added using a home made dye. Once the circles were punched, the heads were [painted with a drop of Model Master Steel Metalizer. By applying a drop of paint into the indents, the paint flowed nocely into the ring making for some decent looking screw heads. Then the gas caps were turned from dowel and glued in place.
Mar 16, 2010, 08:29 PM
Thread OP

Putting It All Together

And with that, we're about as far along as we're going to get till the magnets and Y-leads arrive. The only thing left now is to apply the graphics (when they come), get the controls set up, get the CG located and then mount the battery and she'll be ready to go. Can't wait to give it a try.

PAT
Mar 17, 2010, 06:06 AM
OMG, Awsome Pat.
Mar 17, 2010, 10:44 AM
Beautiful!

I just got my short kit. This is my first from Pat, and all I can say is wow. The quality is excellent. Time to order some balsa!
Mar 17, 2010, 04:16 PM
Beautiful covering scheme Pat. She looks real nice.
Mar 18, 2010, 02:48 PM
Thread OP

First, A Few Static Shots

Got out this morning in calm sunshine and reasonable temps for the maiden flight, but first a few static shots....
Mar 18, 2010, 02:57 PM
Thread OP

What an Eventless Maiden Flight

As expected, the Pacer not only Flew well, but flew straight off the board with no trim required. It's really nice to build a model without all the "p-type parts fit hassles", and know it's going to work!

The maiden flight on the Pacer is probably the most stress free maiden I ever done. No trim, no fiddling, just 3 easy 15 minute flights. The only thing I did was changed the 12-6 prop to an 11-5.5 for the second flight, then back to the 12-6 for the 3rd. Turns out that with the 12-6 she's a spunky little bugger, where with the smaller prop she gets real docile. Personally, I like spunky better with this one!

Landings and take-off's with the flaps deployed are a breeze, though with the 2217 motor the throttle never got over half, and with full flaps, never got over about 1/4 without some serious climb -- now that's what I call over-powered!!!

Anyhow, of the two, I really do like the Pacer better for flying off a grass strip -- no chance of snagging the nosewhell and taring off the gas caps But either way, at around 25.5 oz, she's a great little flyer, and can see some great flying in the Pacer's future!!!

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Mar 18, 2010 at 05:29 PM.
Mar 18, 2010, 04:21 PM
I eat glue
OMG you guys are such shameless suck ups!! Quit telling him how great his planes are, he might get a god complex.

Neat-o, now I gotta buy another Tritle kit, oh yeah, and the Stinson, and the 310, and the 140.
Might have to sell all my edf kits so I can just concentrate on this stuff.
Mar 18, 2010, 05:18 PM
Looks like we are at a point where the C$%#@%$ 180 can get finished and then, on to the DC-3, at long last!

Pete G.
Mar 18, 2010, 05:56 PM
December 17, 2010 would be a good first flight date for the DC-3 model. How about it Pat? That will be the 75th anniversary of the first flight of the DC-3. The DC-3 is still earning its keep after all these years. Try to think of any other vehicle, whether airplane, ship, truck, train or automobile that continues to earn its keep doing what it was designed to do 75 years after its beginning. Pretty remarkable airplane.

Gerry
Mar 18, 2010, 06:45 PM
Power Upward
Really outstanding... When can I get mine?...

George Gilbert

Quick Reply