Mar 07, 2010, 11:19 AM
Planecrazy in Lodi
Pretty airplane, even without the covering!

I've always personally liked the looks of the original "tail dragger" Pacer better than the later "converted-to-trike-gear" Tri-Pacer. Somehow I've come to think that the Tri-Pacer's common nickname of "milk stool" confirms that preference!

There are lots of pretty color schemes out there on the Internet for the Pacer. I'm confident that any one that Pat chooses will be fine! Go get 'um, Pat!! We all just can't wait to see this one in the air!!

Kermit
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2010, 11:25 AM
Blade Butcher
Now that's what short wing Pipers are all about.
Mar 07, 2010, 12:42 PM

talented

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Thought it might be best to put it all together one last time to make sure everything is working once more before covering starts. So far it all looks good, and then decided to get a couple last chance pics of the bones while we were at it....

PAT
pat, it looks so good. you are really talented. at the beach this weekend were a group of modelers with their planes, flying them on the beach and towards the ocean. very impressive, quite beautiful at sunset. It really is an art and God has gifted you......LOMF
Mar 07, 2010, 12:52 PM
Thread OP

Color Scheme -- Maybe

Found this yellow Pacer that looks real good. The only downside is that yellow Litefilm is a bit more pale then the early Lockhaven Yellow this one is done in. Still thinking about it.

Meanwhile, when you look at the full scale fuselage, it makes the model look a whole lot simpler...

PAT
Mar 08, 2010, 07:37 PM
Very nice design and build! Looks like it will be nice and light.

Here are some Pacers I pulled off Barnstormers. Several are conversions. Might give you some ideas----?

Seems like many are using the swoopy, curving lines, now days. Some of these are kind of ugly, but to each his own.

I just had to throw in Carroll Shelby's Pacer. It's the last two pictures.

AmpAce
Last edited by AmpAce; Mar 08, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Mar 10, 2010, 11:19 PM
I eat glue
C'mon Pat, paint up some silkspan!
Mar 11, 2010, 07:55 AM
Thread OP
Got started covering the Pacer on Tuesday. All the small pieces are done, now the only thing left are the wings and fuselage. Hope to get to them yet this week.

PAT
Mar 11, 2010, 01:28 PM
Pat,

Is this going to be offered as a new plan/short kit, or should I order the Tri-Pacer and convert it.

Thanks,
Mar 11, 2010, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
schoonerj, The Tri-Pacer kit will be the starting point for the Pacer conversion. There's not enough different between the two to require 2 seperate kits.

PAT
Mar 11, 2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks Pat, that's what I thought.

I placed my order! I was going to build the L-4 first, but I love the looks of the Pacer, and couldn't resist the flaps
Mar 11, 2010, 09:26 PM
Pat,

I am fortunate to own the Piper PA-16 Clipper in the attached photos, and enjoy flying it very much. As I'm sure you are aware, it is the predecessor to the Pacer, and both are very similar. Your Tri-Pacer short kit would be a good starting point, requiring only very minor modifications. I very much like the way the model is designed, so I would like to purchase one in the near future.

I did notice that you have altered the cowling slightly for the Pacer, and it has original style wheel pants very similar to what is on my plane. Do you plan to offer these components for those building a Pacer (or Clipper)?

Thank you,

Watty
Mar 11, 2010, 11:02 PM
Closed Account
In post #8, you show the ovalized rear side window that is typical of a true Pacer. In post#14, the "pentagonal" rear windows are visible...

Are you building two airframes??!
Mar 14, 2010, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndoorFlyerABQ
In post #8, you show the ovalized rear side window that is typical of a true Pacer. In post#14, the "pentagonal" rear windows are visible...

Are you building two airframes??!
Actually, I almost desided to do the yellow one in the pictures so changed the window shape. But then later descided to go with another white scheme, though haven't decided on the trim colors yet.

PAT
Mar 14, 2010, 05:30 PM
Thread OP

Finishing Up the Basic Covering

Got the wings done last week and covered the fuselage today. Next up is to figure out a good trim scheme and get her finished up. Also got the base colors sprayed on the cowl and wheel pants yesterday, so both are ready to mount.

PAT
Mar 14, 2010, 08:25 PM

plane

your plane is beautiful. You are very talented...

Quick Reply