Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Mar 01, 2010, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Discussion

Pacer Conversion

There's good news and bad news; The bad news is that last weekend in Tucson someone needed the Tri-Pacer real bad, so I sold it. The good news is that the Pacer conversion is well underway.

Since the project began I really wanted to do the Pacer as well, so what better way to be able to try both versions.....

The build begins with the fuselage; To begin, the basic structure is identical with the exception of the landing gear mount beam location. The beams were relocated when the frames were joined, then the original reinforcing formers were modified and used in the new fuselage.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2010, 10:37 AM

The Landing Gear

The main gear front strut was bent at 35 degrees from the vertical line and glued to the fuselage. The rear strut was bent at the top, then the botton bent to fit the gear using the fuselage/front strut to locate the bends. Then a vertical strut was bent to accommodate the wheel pants to prevent them from rolling over. Believe it or not, the mod was really easy since the front strut could be used to visualize all the propper angles. The vertical strut will be clipped to fit the pants once they're assembled.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 10:40 AM

The Tail Section

The vertical and horizontal tasil planes were built up in-modified. BTW, it occured to me during the build how easy it is by comparison to build a "kit" that is already noodled out where no changes and corrections are required, and all the parts fit -- So far, this has been a fun build!

Next, the wings!!!

PAT
Old Mar 03, 2010, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by N495RD
It looks gorgeous Pat. I am sorry I have not ordered one yet, the time will come though. I have to buy a Guillows Cessna 172 first and convert it to electric, I just bought a full scale 172, so I kind of need a model of it. I will do the Pacer next. Are you going to put some wheel pants on this one? Also, would you be willing to put a Piper Comanche 250/260 on your list of aircraft to make in short kit form? Hope this build goes well.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:02 PM

Framing the Wings

The wings go together quickly due to the "egg-crate" style spar/rib assemblies which are assembled first, then pinned to the board so the LE, TE, and tip bows can be added. The ailerons and flaps are then framed in place on the wing assembly.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:04 PM

Finishing the Wings

The LE sheeting is added next, followed by the tip bracing, then the panels are sanded to shape, the flaps and ailerons cut free and the final shaping and sanding done.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:07 PM

Back To the Fuselage

The landing gear is secured to the fuselage frame using kevlat thread, then the diagonal bracing added to border the hatch opening.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:12 PM

Adding the Boot Cowl and Window Frames

The boot cowl sections and wiindow frames were cut from file folder paper and glued in place with Liquid Stitch. bottom of the boot cowl side sections were first rolled over a 3/8" dia. dowl to curl then to fit the tight radius at the bottom of the firewall to prevent the wrinkles that will appear in the paper.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:17 PM

Mounting the Servos

The servos were mounted in the fuselage, accessable through the hatch on the fuselage bottom. The rudder cables and elevator pushrod tube was added to complete the set-up.

The flap and aileron servos were aligned and glued into the wings with silicone. Bits of 3/32 X 1/8 balsa were used to border the servos and hold them in place.

Next up; Struts, detail sanding, then cover!!!

PAT
Old Mar 07, 2010, 09:32 AM

Rigging the Wing Struts

The Pacer was set up on thwe W/O Jig and the wing struts set up. This one is easy since there are no Jurry Struts.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 09:34 AM

Pepping the Cowl and Wheel Pants for Color

Got the cowl and wheel pants assembled trimmed and primed and are now ready for color.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 09:36 AM

Adding Door Skins and Fitting the Windshield Pattern

Decided to add the door skins to the Pacer using file folder paper. Then cut the windshiled patter to find it fit perfectly with no additional trimming.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 09:41 AM

Mounting the Motor

The Suppo 2217/9 motor from RC Hotdeals arrived yesterday late, so went ahead and got it mounted. Turns out the mount is identical to the pattern on the E-Flight Park 400 OR, so was able to simply screw itin place. Turns out that the motor is about 5/32" longer then the 400, so ended up cutting 3/16" off the prop shaft which allowed the adapter to rest against the motor housing, so the prop ended up exactly where it was supposed to be.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 09:45 AM

Fitting the Wheel Pants Onto the Axles

Last thing to finish yesterday was to fit the wheel bushings made up from 3 sizes of brass tubing and trim the axles to finished length. Then the Wheel pants were fitten onto the axles and the keeper pin height trimmed to final fit.

From here it looks like there not much left except to start covering. Trouble is, haven't settled on a scheme yet. There's a few that look good, just have made the decision yet. Meanwhile, I'll go back to work on the Stinson and think it over for a day or two.....

PAT
Old Mar 07, 2010, 10:27 AM

The Last Dry Run Before Coveing Begins

Thought it might be best to put it all together one last time to make sure everything is working once more before covering starts. So far it all looks good, and then decided to get a couple last chance pics of the bones while we were at it....

PAT