Lipo fire took my house - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Mar 01, 2010, 02:53 AM
I butcher foam
rballz's Avatar

Lipo fire took my house

Thursday night

I feel like I'm spamming forums, but I want to use my loss to help others step up safety if they need it.

I'm trying to get this in each section, helis, planes, cars, etc...

Me, my daughter, wife, and two dogs got out.

Ferret, Snake, a stocked reef aquarium, and a freshwater aquarium with a few fish did not make it.

Almost nothing survived.

Details of the charging, fire, etc can be found in the 3D electric plane forum under the 3DHS Addicts Support Group II thread,'s main forum (over there I am drdispatch), and chit chat area.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2010, 03:46 AM
AMA #953123
Why? Were you charging it? Left it in your plane? It was in a bad plane crash?

More info please. If you were just storing a pack and it burst into flames that is a terrible thing. I keep my Lipos in an old Crock Pot "just in case" but maybe I should be even more cautious?

Very sorry to hear about your losses. I have a pet ferret myself and I would feel terrible if something happened to him.
Mar 01, 2010, 03:50 AM
I butcher foam
rballz's Avatar

2200mah 3S

Pack was a few years old, never been crashed.

A good THEORY is since my balance board was out on loan to my father, one of the cells was quite a bit lower than the other 2. The charger thus overcharged the 2 good cells.

I last checked the pack and it had 1400 mah in and I don't drain a 2200 more than 1600.

10-15 minutes later the garage was gone, followed by the house.
Mar 01, 2010, 05:04 AM
AMA #953123
Makes the $20 lipo sack investment seem like not such a bad idea. I charge mine on a fireproof surface but if it vents and is propelled onto the floor or up against the wall......

Again, Im sorry for your losses. I hope you have home owners or renters insurance.
Mar 01, 2010, 06:17 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
eflightray's Avatar
Sorry your your losses, it looks quite frightening.

Could you 'Edit' your thread title to all capital letter, as I think this thread needs to be noticed.
Mar 01, 2010, 06:51 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
If this is true then I am very sorry for your lost.

Its sad to see thing like this happen, makes you wonder if safe charging practices were being used.

You mention charging without a balancer mite be the cause.

But were you also not charging on a fire-resistant surface as per charger recommendation for safe charging and also not monitoring your charging.

It like looking at a car accident picture that was cause by reckless driving and then saying look what happens when I drove my car BUT yet with all the car accidents that happen daily we still drive our cars.
Last edited by freechip; Mar 01, 2010 at 07:01 AM.
Mar 01, 2010, 07:45 AM
2^p - 1
signflyer's Avatar
Sorry to hear about this...
Mar 01, 2010, 08:57 AM
Registered User
Gonzo454's Avatar
k so does any one have data on the batteries?

I charge mine in a pot with a lid on it...but I am wondering...since we are talking about a chemical fire when things go wrong, how hot does the chemical burn? I only assume that it would not melt a steel pot, but I am not sure.

The charging bag looks like a great idea...just to be on the safe side...put the charging bag and all in the pot!!
Mar 01, 2010, 11:50 AM
Registered User
E-Challenged's Avatar
Sounds as if the fire had a good chance to spread before smoke alarm, if any, went off.
I often leave my charging set up for a few minutes at a time, will be more watchful.

I had an "wall wart" charger start fire while charging a flight battery pack for an IC model years ago. Luckily I was in the room when the output wires melted and started fire.
Mar 01, 2010, 11:54 AM
Registered User
Carnifax's Avatar
The article mentione neighbors hearing an explosion shortly before the fire. Any ideas what that could have been? If this is true Im sorry about your loss and thankfully everyone got out safe.
Mar 01, 2010, 12:14 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Hypersprint's Avatar
Fires are usually pretty involved by the time they break through the exterior where the neighbors would see it so the explosion could have been a gas can.

While a lipo will burn very violently it will not burn to long so it is relatively easy to contain a lipo fire with a lipo Sack. Because we do have a slightly higher risk of fire when charging I think it would be a great idea to have an evacuation plan for your family (like everyone should have anyway). If you yell FIRE the family should evacuate the house first and ask questions later.

Thank You
Rob LaMarche
Last edited by Hypersprint; Mar 01, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Mar 01, 2010, 12:38 PM
I butcher foam
rballz's Avatar
There was no explosion beforehand.

I checked the pack 10-15 minutes before the fire alarms went off.

I was charging on a work table.

I don't want to spread lipo fear here freechip, don't get me wrong.

These are rare, and if you're charging in a fireproof manner and watching the charge - this can't happen. That's the point.
Mar 01, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Tarpon Shawn's Avatar
That's terrible. Sorry for the loss.
Mar 01, 2010, 08:07 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Conehead's Avatar
From the firemen I have talked to, they say a fire doubles every minute. Sorry for your loss, that was a monster fire.
To take all that down in such a short time, wow.
You are lucky to be alive and the rest of your family as well.

Orrin Eldred
Mar 01, 2010, 08:39 PM
mI spelin are good
I have a ruptured pack the I no longer use, how do get rid of it?

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Lipo fire took my house and everything I own rballz Electric Heli Talk 110 Nov 28, 2014 05:11 PM
Discussion Lipo Fire takes home Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 31 Mar 17, 2010 06:59 PM
Discussion Insurane coverage if lipo's burn my car or house down to the ground. videocruzer Batteries and Chargers 24 Oct 16, 2009 10:18 PM
Lipo fire-Took precautions saved damage. erashby Batteries and Chargers 32 Jan 16, 2006 03:32 PM