to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Here are some of the things I have started in the process of converting the model to a "B".
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Mar 01, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Feb 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
You work FAST!

Nice job on the wing Tom
Feb 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
The Addiction has began...
WOW! Looking forward to see all the things you do as well as any changes with electronics and such from your first Mustang! Subscribed !

Dave
Feb 28, 2010, 04:18 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
In preparing the fuselage for the "greenhouse" B canopy (which will have a non-sliding Malcom hood) I had to modify the sidewall a bit. The area adjacent the front and rear frame of the hinged part of the canopy should be constant width. The original model tapers a bit in this area. I installed a short bulkhead to make the fuselage width constant in this area. I also added 5/16 worth of balsa to the top of the fuselage after i cut off the turtle deck to stiffen the aft fuselage before I add the new blue-foam top deck.
Mar 01, 2010, 12:18 AM
Nice mods!
Takis
Mar 01, 2010, 09:28 AM
zup
zup
tom
you gonna remove the scoop from the bottom of the cowl and build a new one on top?
im working on converting a hyperian to a B model. you mentioned leaving the ventral fin on and it,s a C model. some early D,s didnt have the ventral fin. you have any links to picts of a C model?
thanks zup
Mar 01, 2010, 11:42 AM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zup
tom
you gonna remove the scoop from the bottom of the cowl and build a new one on top?
im working on converting a hyperian to a B model. you mentioned leaving the ventral fin on and it,s a C model. some early D,s didnt have the ventral fin. you have any links to picts of a C model?
thanks zup

Zup...

The carb scoop on the "B" is the same as a C or D. The "A" which had the allison engine had the scoop on the top.

Yes, early "d"s were missing the dorsal (not ventral, ventral is lower, corrected my original picture caption) fin but all airworthy aircraft were field retrofit with the dorsal sooner or later.

I don't know the history of putting the dorsal on the "c", but I think that was done at the Dallas plant. Some "c's had it... some didn't.

Here is one that did:
http://themodellerschoice.com/images/24-015.jpg

Paul Mantz Red Bendix racer had one too.
http://www.taichiunlimiteddrawings.c...or_Profile.jpg

Tom
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Mar 01, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Mar 01, 2010, 01:59 PM
zup
zup
tom
thanks. one less thing to butcher. i like the paint job too.
zup
Mar 01, 2010, 06:55 PM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Little more done between last night and tonight. Also some decisions made.
I originally was not going to change the LE extension to more closely resemble the "B" aircraft (smaller and ends further inbd than a "D"). I have decided that I needed to do it to make it look right. Pics below.

I also decided to cut off those barn-door ailerons and make a new set from balsa wood. The wing tip shape is also wrong, so that had to go. (BTW the horiz and vert tail tips are wrong too... but they may stay)

I have decide not to wait for an appropriate servoless electric retract from Horizon and instead use and old set of Spring-Air mains and modify a Robart 600P main gear (also spring-down type) to use as a tailwheel retract.

Tom
Mar 01, 2010, 08:33 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Tom...excellent conversion...as I'd like to convert my "D" to a one piece wing so it will easily fit in my honda...lol.

Waiting to see the finished "one piece wing" conversion bolted on.
Mar 02, 2010, 06:44 AM
Head NEAT geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra
Tom...excellent conversion...as I'd like to convert my "D" to a one piece wing so it will easily fit in my honda...lol.

Waiting to see the finished "one piece wing" conversion bolted on.

Tony, it is in the pictures above. It's only missing the lower covers until I install the aileron servos and pressure lines for the retracts.

Tom
Mar 02, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Tom have you settled on a scheme yet?

Quick Reply