Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by pryor808
Discussion

Sullivan Dynatron Starter

If I hook up my Dynatron starter to 24v, will it work on a DLE55?
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2010, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by edwin1
Maybe. But get ready for super fast spinning. I find 24v a chore to control and have seen others have the same problem. I have used a milwakee 18v battery drill with a 3" spinner insert to start G62's and DL50's. 18v might do you better if there is an easy way to do that. My dynatron easily starts my crrc40cc with a 12v garden tractor battery. Never tried my DL50. You might try a bigger 12v battery just for grins and see what happens. I know if you have a small battery that dynatron can suck a LOT of juice and bring a 12v gel cell to its knees. Just my opinion.
Edwin
Old Mar 01, 2010, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by proptop
Airplane Gearhead
Agreed...I think what you need is more cranking amps. A 12V. "Garden Tractor" battery from Wal Mart (or equiv.) is relatively inexpensive, and will allow the Dynatron to give you a LOT more torque that a small "motorcycle" size battery.

I have a Dynatron that I occasionally use w/ 2X 8 cell 3300 NiMh packs which give me lots of R.P.M. but what you need is torque.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 09:28 PM
I am currently running the Dynatron on a 12v gel cell and, the battery holds up fine but, then again I am only using it on my .91 size glow engines. I am adding another 12v battery in series to my flight box to get the 24v. I will try it first on my 26cc SV. I will let you guys know how it does.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by edwin1
Careful with plastic spinners. I melted one on 24v.
Edwin
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Edwin
Thanks, I only use aluminum spinners. I gave up on plastic spinners when I saw a pilot starting a 40 size airplane and, the plastic spinner desintagrated and, a piece of plastic ended up in one eye. All I know is that he was rushed to the hospital. He did not belong to our club.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 06:00 PM
Find More Posts by Pinecone
Will fly for food
Two words - SAFETY GLASSES.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Two words - SAFETY GLASSES.
You absolutely must wear this any time anytime you even come within earshot of a glow engine. Don't even THINK of starting it!

Seriously, it's a freak accident. I once poked myself in the eye with a straw, should I wear safety goggles before drinking?
Old Mar 04, 2010, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Edwin
Actually its easier to burn one up with a weak battery because the engine stops on each compression stroke and the starter slips a little until it leaks off and spins to the next one. A strong battery just spins it, no stops on compression strokes.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 05:01 PM
Will fly for food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ View Post
Seriously, it's a freak accident. I once poked myself in the eye with a straw, should I wear safety goggles before drinking?
Maybe YOU should.

Be seriously, there are plenty of accidents waiting to happen around engines. Safety glasses are a simple way to protect yourself.

It is funny, in the industrial world, you never see a guy who lost an eye NOT wearing safety glasses. Freak accident or not, it is very easy to lose an eye.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by KB9STD
Try the 2 12volt batteries in parrallel.I thenk You will be surprised at the difference twice the cranking amps will make.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by mkk8
Dynatron and 6cell lipo...wow. DL55 started with one light touch on the propeller. I think it will spin everything under 100cc.
I borrowed it from my friend to start my .46 evolution and melted my spinner. Be careful with fluidlocks on small engines. I think Dynatron + 6S combo WILL break every shaft inside engine
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by crashxr
If you want to be able to start any engine...... the answer is a Miller belt reduction starter kit. Use your dynatron and add the Miller unit to it and you will never have a problem starting anything!!!!! You can purchase from Miller or Mac Hodges .If you do a search you will find the phone #'s for each of them. There is no web site to order from.
Here are the #'s

Mac Hodges 866-924-9505

Miller 707-833-5905

Spend the $125 and never have a problem turning over an engine again !

Bob
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:43 AM
Will fly for food
True, I think that setup with 24 volts on the Dynatron would start a truck engine, full scale truck, not model.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by 706jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
True, I think that setup with 24 volts on the Dynatron would start a truck engine, full scale truck, not model.
I was going to use one to drive a piston pump at my summer camp.