Feb 27, 2010, 11:08 AM
Registered DLG addict
Thread OP
Discussion

Do i need a HAM or Amateur radio license for FPV?

"Note: Please note use of this product is illegal in Europe. Channel 1: 910MHz is the only legal channel in US and Canada. The use and operation of this product in most states, countries requires a HAM or Amateur radio license. New Generation Hobbies cannot be held responsible for your actions if you use this product without proper licensing."

Im in the US.
I found this here
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=366
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2010, 11:13 AM
Team White Llama!
Yep.

I think 10mw on 2.4 doesn't need one though, although I'm not certain. If someone here could clarify that would be good.
Feb 27, 2010, 11:26 AM
Don't leave it Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117

"Note: Please note use of this product is illegal in Europe. Channel 1: 910MHz is the only legal channel in US and Canada. The use and operation of this product in most states, countries requires a HAM or Amateur radio license. New Generation Hobbies cannot be held responsible for your actions if you use this product without proper licensing."

Im in the US.
I found this here
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=366
Yes, Basically anything over 10mw a Ham Tech license is required.

KC9RNB Just officially got my call sign yesterday. Took the test Tech, 2 weeks ago.

Study this, memorize it and take the test.

http://www.qrz.com/xtest2.html

I studied it for a few hours before the test and missed 1 question. Good stuff to know in it anyway. Have a copy of your Drivers License and another form of ID. $14 cash and become a Ham Tech. Check your local area for a testing site. Mine tests the 2nd friday every month. 4 of us there, 2 passed 2 did not.
Feb 27, 2010, 11:51 AM
Registered DLG addict
Thread OP
What if i use this?
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=284
Also will this work with my DX7?
Feb 27, 2010, 12:11 PM
Engineer for Christ
NightHawk, you need to use 1.3 GHz (1280MHz) in the U.S.. 1.2 GHZ is illegal here.

Also you need a HAM license for anything over 10 mW. The Tx in the link is 500mW. HAM license is required.

Why not take the test? It costs $15 and is good for 10 years. I studied a total of 4 hours for it and easily passed the exam. Just study the practice exams.

-Alex
KJ4RIV
Feb 27, 2010, 12:50 PM
Suspended Account
I passed the test with a 100 but I studied for 2 weeks. Don't kid yourself, if you don't know anything about Ham radio like me it will take more then just a few hours of studying to pass. I just took a few tests from that website every night for 2 weeks and pass easily, good luck.
May 03, 2010, 02:08 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
I am a law obiding US citizen...and really don't take liberties on deciding which laws to obey and which ones not to... so I do intend to get my license...

...my question is- what do you learn in preperation for the test that prevents danger/etc? What would someone with their license NOT do that someone without it might do?

What would happen if I powered up my gear just to test it out before I had my license? Is it putting anyone at risk?

Thanks for any info..
May 03, 2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
What would happen if I powered up my gear just to test it out before I had my license? Is it putting anyone at risk?
it is a bit the same as : I get my drivers license next week, what if I drive
to work tomorrow, what is the risk ?
most likely no problem, as we know so many dont even have the paper :-)

with a HAM licence in your hands, "they" will help and support you
no matter what kinds of trouble you get in, like interfeer with CATV
or nabours TV set and alot of stuff like that,
and also it is good to have when you fly on a club field, and the questions
show up, "eh is that legal what you do" and people start to ask arround,
one feather become 10 chickens over a few days !!
we even hear those crasy stories about FPV people banned from club fields
due to dumb people not know a darn thing about radio and rules
and licences.

also when you become a HAM, you also optain alot of usefull information and skils,
alot of this is usefull to get so much more out of this hobby,
since it is alot tech stuff and radio stuff and interferiance fighting in your plane install

I am OZ2CPU in case you did not know :-)
Last edited by thomasscherrer; May 03, 2010 at 03:45 PM.
May 03, 2010, 04:24 PM
Suspended Account
It makes the hobby more enjoyable as well
Mar 18, 2014, 04:20 AM
I've taken a few of the practice tests and seriously, 95% of the info there does not apply to FPV.
Mar 18, 2014, 07:31 AM
ShopCzar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrizz
I've taken a few of the practice tests and seriously, 95% of the info there does not apply to FPV.
But it does apply to ham radio in general, and to be honest to get your tech isn't that hard. I studied for two evenings...wednesday and friday. Then I got up, drove 20 minutes south, and took my test saturday. I passed it no problem.

I've actually gotten into it as another fun hobby, you meet a lot of very interesting and VERY smart people. After getting my ticket, I was back a month later for my general class license. I got that too, and I've been operating on the HF frequencies, talking to people around the world on voice and digital modes. I actually made a voice contact 10125mi away in austrailia on 50W with a homebrew loop antenna I put up!

But long story short...

Is everything applicable to FPV....No

If you're only doing fpv do you really NEED to know about everything from DC to light?...Probably not

Will getting into it help?...Heck yea. Make it a learning experience, not just memorizing to pass a test. So much of our stuff relies on all kinds of radio equipment. Learn to enjoy it, and understanding will come naturally

Do you need to get your license?...YES! Mr. Scherrer said it best with the drivers license analogy. It's not hard, it's not expensive, just do it and be on the right side of the law And to be perfectly blunt, if you can't take the time to learn enough of the basics to pass a Tech exam and play by the rules, I'm not sure I'd want you out flying FPV anyway.

We're already under so much scrutiny, flying FPV and autonomously and stuff..Stuff happens, but we all need to learn as much as we can and put our common sense hats on to prevent anything from going wrong as much as possible. In the case that the worst happened and there ended up being serious damage to people or property, not having the right license for radio gear is one more reason for you to get in trouble with the law and worsen the situation. And anyway, like I said...I never thought I'd get into ham radio, but once I got my license and got a hold of a transceiver...well I was hooked!

It can be a ton of fun, and like RC, there are a thousand different sub-hobbies. There's so much more to it than pounding brass (Which, coincidentally, I actually quite enjoy!)

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes!

Nick KK4TYF
Mar 18, 2014, 09:15 AM
Ive always said a huge double standard exists among hams and FPV lowered the standards of how people help each other to cheat/be illegal etc. even though its a little hypocritical of me cuz I got help here before I was done w my tech, in fact prompts from here got me to complete it, but in hindsight:

try going up to -any- of those expert hams in person or at a dedicated ham site and tell them you want help setting up a 50 w pep shack in the USA w no license and show them all this gear you ordered online, just need help setting it up so you can immediately start talking to Australia.

you know how the response w go down

then come in here and say you are unlicensed and 50 experts will help you xmit. why the diff? fpv dudes are just nicer I guess. but as a new ham a couple years ago, I found that dichotomy interesting. its like FPV took all the old gloss off the club and its a free for all now.

When I was a radioshack employee in the 90's we respected the crap out of hams lol. they were the rf badasses and we were just putting around on our stupid RS knowledge exams lol. that was back in the day when RS sold shortwave and our boss said "do not sell to -anyone- without a license its illegal!!!!" and we thought the feds would audit us or something for sellling it on the ham black market lol.

now its a ham freq free for all and we help the unlicensed take it.
Last edited by branflakes; Mar 18, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Mar 18, 2014, 01:21 PM
Soaring Peacock Aerials
Technically my Motorola Walkie Talkies require an Amateur Radio License but I don't intend on getting one of those anytime soon.
Mar 18, 2014, 01:56 PM
yep I remember those one watt bad boys lol.
Mar 20, 2014, 07:28 PM
Just go to the android market (I here itunes has some too, but $) and get the amateur radio test app. Go through all the questions 5 times for the technicians test. Then do it 5 times for the general. Pay the $15, pass the extremely easy tests and you are good to go.

Quick Reply