Mar 01, 2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rballz
I believe so
thanks for your insight.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2010, 05:23 PM
This may be an ignorant question, but why do so many people bother with collecting and storing giant cinder blocks and bags of sand in their house/garage or a large fireproof safe (or using it for this instead of storing valuables in it), instead of just buying a lipo sack? Especially now that there are cheap priced chinese made ones, which have also been proven to work. I'm not putting anyone down for their method, but am just curious.

BTW, how do you charge in a locked safe? With a battery powering the charger? Else how do the wires go through? And wouldn't it get too hot?
Mar 01, 2010, 06:40 PM
check for reversed controls
Sorry to hear of your tragic accident. I had a similar event when charging in my van. On a Triton charger without a balance tap. I was at correct rate and voltage but I knew the battery was weak and something was wrong with it. I was able to extinguish the fire with 1 gal drinking water bottle but not before it burned 3 planes , a hole in the rear bench seat , curtains and it even was so hot it broke the rear window. Took alotta scrubbing to get most of the smoke damage out.
Mar 01, 2010, 07:02 PM
All flight is 3D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL
This may be an ignorant question, but why do so many people bother with collecting and storing giant cinder blocks and bags of sand in their house/garage or a large fireproof safe (or using it for this instead of storing valuables in it), instead of just buying a lipo sack? Especially now that there are cheap priced chinese made ones, which have also been proven to work. I'm not putting anyone down for their method, but am just curious.

BTW, how do you charge in a locked safe? With a battery powering the charger? Else how do the wires go through? And wouldn't it get too hot?
Because, many of us own multiple LiPo's and in addition to charging the batteries in these various types of vaults many of us store them in these vaults as well. Kinda like old fashioned highly flammable nitrate movie film was stored in fireproof vaults. It is potentially possible (although less likely) for a lipo to burn even when not charging.
Mar 01, 2010, 07:26 PM
trex 500esp msh protos
I have had a lipo puff over a week after it was last used,it only swelled one cell and nothing else happened to it but after what richard has experienced it makes you think what could happen.I shall never keep lipo's in my house and will have a give more thought into where I store them
thank you richard for sharing your experience with us all here and over at hf and I hope that all goes well for you.

henry
Mar 01, 2010, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL
This may be an ignorant question, but why do so many people bother with collecting and storing giant cinder blocks and bags of sand in their house/garage
First, they are concrete blocks and are not "giant". An 8" block is 8" x 8" x 16", hardly what you would call "giant".

Second and the most important, concrete DOES NOT BURN !

Some lipo bags have been known to vent (small burn thru) and let flame out. You have no idea when you buy a lipo bag as to whether it is made with the "better" materials or not until it is used.

I personally will take my chances with concrete blocks (actually concrete masonry units - CMU's), not to mention that a few blocks will only cost about $3 or $4 to have enough space to store or charge 10 to 12 3S battery packs.
Last edited by 11290; Mar 01, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Mar 01, 2010, 09:25 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Sorry about the loss. I"m not exactly clear, were you balance charging?
Was there a balance plug for the charger to check for cell voltages?
Does that charger have a temp probe?

I have and use a lipo safe bag but I wonder if it really will contain a fire.
My club has been talking about burning a lipo at the field for a demonstration for the club. Maybe I'll loan my lipo safe bag. I've already reserved a cheapo battery for the test.

Glad you made it out and it did not happen after bedtime.
Mar 01, 2010, 09:59 PM
I wondered if gas caught on fire...ouch. A new house behind us burned down from a garage fire. It did not take long. They got it rebuilt quickly though.

I store my lipos in two metal toolboxes. There there is 6 or 7 in each box. It could become a huge hot fire. I need to come up with a reasonable way to store them seperately, and covered/enclosed. A fire detector above them might be a good idea too!

Quote:
Well, 2200 mah 3s spits flames, catches things on fire, the rest of my lipos catch and spit fire..anything from 1 to 6s stored in the garage. A generator full of gas, lawnmower full of gas, and a half gallon of gas for the mower..basically a big flamable structure filled with accelerants.
Mar 01, 2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
I store my lipos in two metal toolboxes. There there is 6 or 7 in each box. It could become a huge hot fire.
Used to carry mine in a metal box also but I was always worried about shorting them out to the box. I use the female connector on the battery but was still worried about shorting them out.

I still sometimes take them to the field in a metal box but I always transport / store the batteries with a small rubber balloon on the connector. May not keep them from shorting out but I feel a lot better about it.

At home I store the batteries in the cores of a concrete block. I put down a 2" "patio block" on the concrete floor of my basement, place an 8" block on that with the cores vertical, put the batteries in the cores of the block and then place a 4" solid block on top of that. Takes up very little space and is as fireproof as I can get in the house without getting some kind of steel safe and only costs about $3 to $4 for the 3 blocks. I then have a smoke detector about 12" from the blocks. Overkill, maybe, but I feel I have done about as much as I can for safety.

The best kind and highest rated firewalls that we design and build for building construction are made with either solid concrete or made of masonry block, so they should work to store our batteries with some confidence.
Last edited by 11290; Mar 01, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Mar 01, 2010, 11:14 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the fire. I think I'll start charging my lipo's elsewhere, or at least in a fireproof box of some sort. Glad to hear that everyone got out safe.
Mar 02, 2010, 12:17 AM
I butcher foam
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
Sorry about the loss. I"m not exactly clear, were you balance charging?
Was there a balance plug for the charger to check for cell voltages?
Does that charger have a temp probe?

I have and use a lipo safe bag but I wonder if it really will contain a fire.
My club has been talking about burning a lipo at the field for a demonstration for the club. Maybe I'll loan my lipo safe bag. I've already reserved a cheapo battery for the test.

Glad you made it out and it did not happen after bedtime.
Melnic,

The charger does have a temp proble, wasn't on the pack.
Balance board was on loan to my father for TP style packs. I usually am charging Zippy packs which plug right into the charger's ports.

I suspect using both or either or would have avoided the fire.

I also suspect that if even charging attended won't prevent a fire if you're charging on or around anything that could catch fire. They seem to go fast and hard.
Mar 02, 2010, 01:31 AM
All flight is 3D.
I know I have asked this question before but I'll try again. Is there any particular reason why Li-Po batteries are not fused ? I know fuses won't prevent accidents during charging or fires due to punctured batteries but, at least they would cut the battery off in the event the leads were to get shorted. Leads short against each other or against metal, fuse melts and breaks the circuit hopefully preventing the battery for heating up and burning. Yet I have yet to see a single Li-Po that is fused.
Mar 02, 2010, 01:54 AM
WOW!!! What an eye opener!. I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for having the courage to share this tragic misshap with this community. I know that I for one will be looking for a different storage method for my 25 to 30 packs. I feel fairly safe charging inside of a ~1gal. size ceramic flower pot with a dedicated smoke alarm directly over the charging station but would hate to see the result of just one pack going off and envolving all of the others. That would be big nasty flames & smoke. Let's all take something form this and be a little safer. My prayers go out to you and your family to getting your lives back in order.

Rick
Mar 02, 2010, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Melnic,

The charger does have a temp proble, wasn't on the pack

I am not sure if that charger would use temp probe at all for charging lipos. It is, usually, for NiMh/NiCd batteries only (stupid programmers! grrr...)
Mar 02, 2010, 10:47 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamedico
I know I have asked this question before but I'll try again. Is there any particular reason why Li-Po batteries are not fused ? I know fuses won't prevent accidents during charging or fires due to punctured batteries but, at least they would cut the battery off in the event the leads were to get shorted. Leads short against each other or against metal, fuse melts and breaks the circuit hopefully preventing the battery for heating up and burning. Yet I have yet to see a single Li-Po that is fused.
Cost is my opinion on why they don't.
Maybe this is a feature that high end battery mfg should tackle.

Automotive Blade fuses (40A for example) have a resistance of only a milliohm or so. Higher the fuse rating, the lower the resistance That should not dramatically affect performance of a pack that has a total Internal resistance in the 10's of milliohms.

Many Lipos junction the cells onto a circuit board. I don't know this or not, but they could control the traces of those boards to act like a one time fuse, but shorting it out would kill the pack

Quick Reply