View Poll Results: How would you rate this build thread
Good coverage of build and kit quality 29 96.67%
Not so good 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Feb 26, 2010, 05:30 PM
Build Log

Zip33 3-Way build of pre-production kits

Welcome to the Zip 33 pre-production build thread

Three Zip 33 kits will be going together over the next few weeks by three different builders. The focus of the thread will be to document the build, refine the methodology, and discover perspectives which will improve the kits. At the end, we'll comment on our experiences at the flying sites.

The Zip 33 was designed with a very tight set of requirements.

1st - A small, easily transportable ship.

2nd - A wing loading in the 7-7.5 oz/sqft range for light lift days

3nd - Fast enough to take advantage of the highly reactive wingeron arrangement, while slow enough on approach to hand catch in static air.

4th - A kit that would challenge the builder in a positive way.

The Zip 33 is not a simple kit by part count standards, but the build is straight forward. The under camber airfoil being the only thing that would move it from intermediate to advanced modeling skills. We'll explore options behind the scenes to refine that part of the build, and expect we'll make that as easy as the rest of the kit.

So far, the prototype has proven itself a light air performer with very snappy response and good speed range. With about three hours of flight in conditions from static out and back launches, to 10 knot steady lift, it turns in a pretty good show. It exhibits the basic handling tendencies of similar plan-forms in higher formats. The main comments at the site have been about its speed, and I have to admit, it has an impressive top end for a 6 ounce sailplane. The modified MG08 section seems to work well on this twisty.

So enjoy the thread, and please contribute constructive thoughts where applicable. We'll be looking to do a fairly clean thread, so digressions or off-topic comments will be better left to another thread to follow this one. The design is pretty much set in stone from an overall standpoint. Minor changes to individual parts to ease construction, maintenance or access may be possible, but changes to the external dimensions of the fuselage are not within the scope of this revision of the kit.

A note concerning the construction manual: Due to some compatability issues and size limitations, I have removed it from this thread and posted it on the Zaerotech website. You can download the entire low-res manual here:

http://www.zaerotech.com/za_prod.htm

Spec's

Span 33 in. / 83.8 cm
LOA 21.75 in. / 55.2 cm
Area 114 sq. in. / 7.4 sq. dm
FW 6.2 oz. / 177 gr.
WL 7.83 oz./sq.ft. / 24 gr./sq. dm

Micro servos and receiver
Recommended -
HS-65MG - Wing
HS-55 - Elev
AR6110e - Rec.

1/3 AA - 4 cell NiMH custom pac / 32grams
Last edited by KJMDES; Jun 04, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2010, 09:50 PM
that's gonna hurt...
Well, I just got home, and there was a smallish box from Hawaii waiting for me! Check the return label, yep Kevlar sent it, must be the Zip 33 beta kits he sent. Well packed, USPS treated them good and no damage to the package. Open it up and wow .....

1st impressions - this is a lot smaller than I'm used too. Even compared to our 60" Bananas ... this is small. I've been flying a lot of TD for the last 6 months, so this was a bit of a shock. I'll have to do a side by side with a Weasel so you guys can get an idea of the size. That said, it will be great for some of the local slopes when I can't do the all day trip to the coast. We'll try it on both inland and coastal slopes, and give it a real work out.

Next impression .... the laser cutting is primo. Kevin, you found a gem to work with in your laser cutter, don't piss him off ever.

Final impression before I start the build, ..... precision. Obviously a lot of CAD time went into this ship and you can see it in the layout of the parts and the documentation.

So thus starts the journey. I have enlisted my buddy Dave Stark aka DCS as NorCal beta builder #2 and he should have his kit Sunday. Dave is known for his wit and running color commentary skills as well as being a kick a** builder and he is a legend in his own mind .

Hope you guys enjoy the thread.

Bruce
Feb 27, 2010, 05:33 AM
We are holding on to Alex as long as we can. Easy to work with. Attention to detail. No worries.

Yep, its a compact. Tweezers are a must if you like to keep your fingers unstuck in some operations.

Flew about half an hour today and shot some HD vid. Looks good, if not a bit boring. Very light……………Lift…………….But jetting up and down the mountain on my newly acquired Buell made up for it.

So as it stands, next week I'll try to entertain a bit with pix, stories and other lies, while I trounce you behind the scenes on build progress. You and Dave can regale us with your insights, and try to throw me off-track. And then, next weekend we all stock up on the French Roast and cookies, and burn into it. Sound about right?

Cheers, feverishly working on the assembly pages.

Kevin
Last edited by KJMDES; Mar 01, 2010 at 03:37 AM.
Mar 02, 2010, 01:21 AM
DCS
DCS
TD is for Me
Greetings.

Bruce shared the proto Zip33 kits with me and Rich D on Sunday. My wife said the three of us huddled around the trunk of Bruce's car looked like the "glowing suitcase" scene from Pulp Fiction minus the black suits, cool hair-do's and the Statler Bros in the background.

First impressions are consistent with Bruce's observations. I was suprised that it's predominantly very, very light plywood. The sheer number of tab-n-slots is impressive and should result in a straight and strong airframe.

For those of us that enjoy building methinks this kit will be a treat. Lots of parts, to be sure, but I suspect the final product will be shapely, sturdy and a mind-blowing performer in a variety of conditions.

Watch this space for dueling beta builds this Sunday, March 7 in the PartyGarage.

Ciao.

- DCS
Mar 03, 2010, 05:15 AM
The trunk has been the source of many a fascinating moment……….

It is in fact nearly all plywood. Birch aircraft variety. The tail group, leading edge, and fuse caps are the only balsa in the kit.

Dueling Beta Builds, sounds like the Windows Vista development softball team.

Cheers,
Kevin
Mar 03, 2010, 06:43 AM
While Bruce and Dave are gearing up for Sunday, I'll start posting build pix from my kit. These will be with brief, if any comments, as they are explained in the construction manual.

And speaking of what's in the trunk; The manual is on CD, along with pix and video. If you order the kit with a printed manual, it will be an additional $5. No extra material such as pix are included in the printing, just what you will see at the end on this thread, when the finished manual is posted. However, the CD is still included in the base kit.

Pricing has now been set;

The first 15 kits will be introductory priced at $75 + $10 Priority USPS anywhere in the US. After that, the kits will be $85 + $10 Priority USPS

There will also be Stage 2 (Servos and choice of battery) for $165

as well as Stage 3 kits (Digital servos, and choice of battery) for $195

Battery choices are 1/3 AA 300ma at 32grams, and 2/3 AAA 350ma at 35grams

Cheers,
Kevin
Mar 03, 2010, 11:55 AM
PWP!
How do we order? I'd buy one just for the instructions! (they look really well made) Not to mention a cool light wind wingeron.
Last edited by ajroahkni; Mar 03, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Mar 03, 2010, 12:06 PM
Sky Surfers
I think here .

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajroahkni
How do we order? I'd buy one just for the instructions! (they look really well made) Not to mention a cool light wind wingeron.
Mar 03, 2010, 12:19 PM
PWP!
THanks Pete. I em'd him.
Mar 04, 2010, 05:08 AM
Got you covered John. No worries.

Have to admit, the instructions take as long as the design. Almost............

Cheers,
Kevin
Mar 04, 2010, 11:06 PM
Slopeaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMDES
Have to admit, the instructions take as long as the design. Almost............

Cheers,
Kevin
Especially when they are a slick as yours! Holy Crap!

-htuch
Mar 04, 2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks for that. Hope I can keep up the slick in time to give Bruce and Dave a Sunday's worth of sticky fingers.

Cheers,
Kevin
Mar 05, 2010, 01:35 AM
DCS
DCS
TD is for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMDES
Thanks for that. Hope I can keep up the slick in time to give Bruce and Dave a Sunday's worth of sticky fingers.

Cheers,
Kevin
I LOVE 80's British Power Pop!

Oppps. . .sorry. I was thinking of Stiff Little Fingers.

Where was I. . .oh yeah, staring at my 1960 Lambretta and smoking clove cigaretts. ..

In other news. . .Bruce, please remind me to prep the electronics (modify the servo leads) tomorrow night. Thanks!

- DCS, who can't wait for Sunday!
Last edited by DCS; Mar 05, 2010 at 01:44 AM.
Mar 05, 2010, 01:52 AM
I am so sorry to inform you that your off by a decade. Unless the previous decade was the one I'm not suppose to remember. Because I was there? Nope, I remember clearly that 8-track in the Huey. '71.

Oh Crap!

At any rate, if Bruce is still the Bruce I remember, there will likely be some vintage tunes oozing in and out of the build.

It's late, and I just posted page 19. Or was it the sixties? Norton Atlas......Nap time............
Last edited by KJMDES; Mar 05, 2010 at 02:09 AM.
Mar 05, 2010, 06:38 PM
Looks like I'll get through the fuse and tailgroup instructions in time, but the wing group will lag a few days.

Starting with the Fuselage, some quick snaps. I'll post as I go. I'm guessing the wing pix will be all the guys need to push on. Straight forward stuff.

Cheers,
Kevin
Last edited by KJMDES; Mar 05, 2010 at 07:38 PM.