New SSX Biplane - Page 21 - RC Groups
May 08, 2016, 06:29 PM
aI stepped away from the SSX Biplane build for a min. just to post some pics of my SSX Trainer!

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 682.8 KB
Description: Name: 002.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 620.6 KB
Description:

Name: 003.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 673.6 KB
Description:

Just want Millennium (James) to know how much I appreciate the great airplane kits you have! The quality of the SSX Trainer and the SSX Biplane kits is second to none!! I hope they design and produce other kits as well! These two slow flyer are sure winners!

If I did have one request, it would be to design a wing install system for the SSX Trainer that dose not use RUBBER BANDS!

Sorry I got off tract, now back to the SSX Biplane build!!

Rob T.
Last edited by twwd; May 08, 2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Add!
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2016, 08:05 PM
I have managed to get a little more done today on the Biplane. I am just about ready to finish up the final assembly now that the X Gear is finished and ready to install.

Name: 004.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 1,009.4 KB
Description: Name: 005.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 907.0 KB
Description:

Those building this plane need to know its important to follow the instructions that Millennium (James) has posted on this site.

Thanks,

Rob T.
May 09, 2016, 08:43 PM
Its getting closer to completion!

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 642.3 KB
Description: Name: 002.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 676.4 KB
Description:

Name: 003.JPG
Views: 48
Size: 1.19 MB
Description:

I am missing the tail wheel assembly parts, and I do have an email into James at Millennium to see if he can send me the parts. I do have some other items I can be doing while I am waiting for the parts.

Special Note: I just got a return email from James, and the parts are on the way!! Millennium RC (James) service is the best! Its for that reason I will be ordering more kits from them, The service is great and the kits are super quality!

Rob T.
Last edited by twwd; May 09, 2016 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Add
May 09, 2016, 10:18 PM
Another special note:

For those that want to build the SSX Biplane! Follow the instructions and plans to the "T"

Do not do what I did and make both bottom and top wings solid! Fabricate the center section and the 4 wing panels seperate as per plan. I found it to be really hard to deal with when installing the aileron servos and the carbon fiber fuse.

It would also be hard to transport in smaller sedan type autos. It dose fit nicely into my SUV totally built. Hopefully I will not crash it, because having solid wings would make repairs tough to do!

Millennium (James) did a great job in designing this plane! Just go slow and take your time with the build.

More to come! Thanks!

Rob T.
May 13, 2016, 01:19 PM
A question!?

I am at the point on my build that the CG is becoming a factor. Looking at the Drawing #5 It shows the CG at 5 &11/16" back from the leading edge of the TOP wing.

Am I correct to assume that if this plane balances perfectly flat at this point that we are good to go? I prefer a plane that is SLIGHTLY to the nose heavy!

Any input here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob T.
May 15, 2016, 07:07 PM
Well I finally finished my Millennium RC SSX Biplane build

Name: 001.JPG
Views: 63
Size: 1.15 MB
Description: Name: 002.JPG
Views: 52
Size: 1.17 MB
Description:

Name: 003.JPG
Views: 61
Size: 1.17 MB
Description:

We seem to be getting our fair share of winds here in the desert these last few days, so as soon as they subside to a reasonable level I will do my maiden flight!
I will be shore to do a follow up on the maiden results and possibly have a video to go along with it!

Rob T.
May 16, 2016, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd
Well I finally finished my Millennium RC SSX Biplane build

Attachment 8995117 Attachment 8995121

Attachment 8995123

We seem to be getting our fair share of winds here in the desert these last few days, so as soon as they subside to a reasonable level I will do my maiden flight!
I will be shore to do a follow up on the maiden results and possibly have a video to go along with it!

Rob T.
It looks great! I am sure it will fly well and look great in the the desert skies! BUT, what will it look like all assembled in the trunk of a car
May 16, 2016, 02:23 PM
pherz,

As I stated above under special note. I would advise all who have a smaller car to build this plane as per Millenniums instructions. Make it a 4 piece wing with center section.

It fits great in my Honda Passport, so it works for me. But if it crashes! Having it built the way I did it could be a real problem for repairs!

Stay with the plan! (James) at Millennium has a great plane that is well engineered. I stepped outside the box to just try and see if I liked it. STAY WITH THE PLAN!!

Rob T.
May 17, 2016, 11:28 PM

Waiting for that first flight

May 18, 2016, 12:52 PM
James,

The desert winds have been raising there heads here lately! We have not had a good maiden day for 3 weeks now!

I will keep all posted when it happens!

Rob T.
May 21, 2016, 12:25 PM
OK! With my fingers crossed the wind report for Monday is looking like it could be a maiden day for the SSX Biplane! We have had winds this last two weeks anywhere from 10 to 15 sustained with gusts from 20 to 30! Not good for maiden flights!

I will keep you posted!

Rob T.
May 22, 2016, 12:37 PM
Wind 10 to 15 today! Tomorrow they SAY it will not be as windy! Here is hoping tomorrow on my maiden!

Rob T.
May 22, 2016, 03:00 PM
What winds have you guys put your SSX Biplane in the air in I would guess that 5 to 8 and no cross wind should be OK!

Tomorrow is looking better!

Rob T.
Last edited by twwd; May 22, 2016 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Changes
May 24, 2016, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd
What winds have you guys put your SSX Biplane in the air in I would guess that 5 to 8 and no cross wind should be OK!

Tomorrow is looking better!

Rob T.
5 is fine. I have flown in 10 but it takes all the fun out of it.

I have flow the SSX in 20. at the beach with no turbulence. That's lots of fun. like a kite with no strings.
May 25, 2016, 12:46 PM
Good morning!

Well I did my maiden flight on the Millennium SSX Biplane! I did get a couple of photos at the field, but was unable to get the video on it this time.

Name: IMG_1420.JPG
Size: 153.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG_1421.JPG
Size: 187.5 KB
Description:

The Biplane took off perfectly and did the turn out, got some altitude, gave it three clicks right aileron, and it flew perfectly!

With the power system I was using I did not have it propped correctly and
it seemed under powered. I did not have any other props I could try on my maiden, but I will get some different size props to try and then give you an updated report.

One thing I am going to do and that is to change out the 33A Cobra ESC and upgrade to a Cobra 40A with the 6A BEC. Millennium James is correct about the increase from a 3A BEC to 6A BEC power to cover the 6 servos this plane requires. Better to be safe than sorry!

Well that's it for me, but I will update as to how the different prop set up helps with the increase in thrust and performance.

Thanks,
Rob T.

(6/6/2016) Changed out the Cobra 2217/20 950Kv to a Cobra 2217/16 1180Kv along with a Cobra 40A with a 6A BEC and Xoar 10/6 prop and WOW! what a difference! Very pleased with the performance now! That's it for me, and thanks for all your help and input!

"Happy Flying"

Rob T.
Last edited by twwd; Jun 06, 2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add