1st night flight! - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by verticalspark, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 25, 2010, 08:12 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Discussion

1st night flight!

So I am back from my first night flight with the radian It was awesome! The blue LED lights worked amazing! We got the field about 5:45 and the wind was blowing every direction so we had to wait until about 6:30. So as we were flying some turkeys decided to walk through the field we were flying at. Well the first thing that came to my mind was "FLY-BY!" so that is what I did. Well I got a little too low and clipped a turkey with the wing tip. All the turkeys promptly decided to leave very quickly So we started to fly (both the slow stick and the radian) for a good half hour before the first person decided to slow down and look at the UFOs. It was about 7 or 8 minutes after the first person stopped that another person found us and told us that he had seen them from down the road....3 MILES AWAY! I had to measure when I got home on google earth and I still dont believe it. In total we had two cars full of people and kids stop and talk and ask questions. We stayed until the cops told us they were closing the park and we needed to leave. A very successful day indeed.

Radian Landing at night

Slow stick taking off
Last edited by verticalspark; Feb 26, 2010 at 02:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2010, 09:51 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
OK, I am sold. The Radian will get some lights. Might have to buy one just for night flying Spark, you going to SEFF dude?

Diggs
Feb 25, 2010, 10:00 PM
I want to. Im not sure if I can get the time off of work.
Feb 25, 2010, 11:15 PM
Vertical- did you use one battery? Could you please post some pics of the work you did. Also How many sets of leds did you use? Im sold as well. Im placing an order for some more leds. Great job...
Feb 25, 2010, 11:28 PM
i used the flight battery to power it. I will take some more pics in a minute. I have to retrieve the radian out of the jeep.
Feb 25, 2010, 11:43 PM
I use a 2100mAh 3s for the flight battery. I used 3 Turnigy LED strips these. they are 1 meter long and can be broken up if you can can solder decent. I used mini deans for the wing connectors. The leads are long enough that if you put the LED strips on the leading edge the leads will reach into the cockpit area.

If you have any questions feel free to ask any questions as I am almost always near or on my computer and will be more than happy to answer them if I can.
Last edited by verticalspark; Feb 26, 2010 at 02:11 AM.
Feb 26, 2010, 12:38 AM
some more pics, I know they arnt very pretty but the camera just wont catch the plane clearly.
Last edited by verticalspark; Feb 26, 2010 at 02:13 AM.
Feb 26, 2010, 01:55 AM
Argue for your limitations
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark
So I am back from my first night flight with the radian It was awesome! The blue LED lights worked amazing! We got the field about 5:45 and the wind was blowing every direction so we had to wait until about 6:30. So as we were flying some turkeys decided to walk through the field we were flying at. Well the first thing that came to my mind was "FLY-BY!" so that is what I did. Well I got a little too low and clipped a turkey with the wing tip. All the turkeys promptly decided to leave very quickly So we started to fly (both the slow stick and the radian) for a good half hour before the first person decided to slow down and look at the UFOs. It was about 7 or 8 minutes after the first person stopped that another person found us and told us that he had seen them from down the road....3 MILES AWAY! I had to measure when I got home on google earth and I still dont believe it. In total we had two cars full of people and kids stop and talk and ask questions. We stayed until the cops told us they were closing the park and we needed to leave. A very successful day indeed.
Those are awesome!! I'll bet that plane could get the UFO hunters something to talk about for months. I hope you can find a camera that can do a better focus at night. I, personally, don't have a clue as to what camera to use.
AJ
Feb 26, 2010, 02:02 AM
yea, this camera that I am using is a really nice camera but is just seems that it takes too long, too long being a split second, to take the picture. There is a way to adjust the speed on it if im not mistaken but I have yet to figure it out. Keep checking back because anytime I fly I have a camera so I try to post pics if I am not flying alone.
Mar 01, 2010, 01:31 PM

NO need for special paint job

Hey Diggs,
Here is an idea, With as bright as everyone says these LEDS are. Configure your setup on a transmitter switch. When you thermal to near out of site. Hit the switch to turn on the LEDS and I bet you can find the plane again.
If your gutsy enough turn the lights on and off at night while flying to really give the UFO nuts something to talk about.
Mar 01, 2010, 01:49 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
I plan on using some old brushed ESCs and configuring them to my sliders on the Aurora 9. Then I have variable output from the LEDs

Diggs
Mar 01, 2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rogvan
If your gutsy enough turn the lights on and off at night while flying to really give the UFO nuts something to talk about.
That is what I was thinking of doing but I think that would be a very nervous 10 seconds
Apr 01, 2010, 08:54 AM
Jack
ajbaker wrote:

"..I hope you can find a camera that can do a better focus at night. I, personally, don't have a clue as to what camera to use..."

Turn the Auto-Focus off and set the focus manually to something that is a distance away.

You'll have a good span of distance that will be in focus as the depth of field http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field is working for you.

You can adjust the focal point later with the manual focus adjustment if you want.

Auto-Focus is one of the major causes of lousy videos!

Jack