"Neon" - the 1m hand launch model you always wanted but could not get - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 24, 2010, 11:40 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Mini-Review

"Neon" - the 1m hand launch model you always wanted but could not get

I did not think that I would ever get involved with small span HL models but after seeing how much one of my club members enjoyed his mini-HL model I decided that maybe there is something to these small micro gliders. Dick Proseus was able to fly his little Apogee very successfully along with our full span DLGs, and as long as the thermals were there, Apogee was climbing just as good as its bigger siblings.

Recently I was able to get in touch with some master craftsmen behind the iron curtain. I was offered to try their new creation, which already has local pilots there raving and lining up on the waiting list to get one of these toys. OK, why not. I already wanted to try something like this, but I know I will never get to building one myself. The pictures from the factory (see below) looked great. And the reports from local pilots were even better...

The box with Neon came to my house yesterday after a very long wait despite being sent by express mail. My initial impressions were very positive. In fact I felt like a child on Christmas morning. This little cute glider is adorable, bright, and shiny. I can't wait to install radio gear and go try it at the field. Stay tuned for build pictures and flight reports...

--
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2010, 11:45 PM
Scott Zastoupil
Very cool. Are the wing and tail surfaces molded? It's hard for me to tell with the bling shiny surface. I'm guessing it's a glass layup.

Scott
Feb 24, 2010, 11:54 PM
Oleg Golovidov

The kit

The flying surfaces are done by molding fiberglass skins over a CNC machined foam core. This is the same technology currently used for tail surfaces on all molded HL models. The fuselage is obviously a molded one, made of fiberglass with carbon reinforcement strips.

The pictures below show the contents of the kit. The wing attaches to the fuselage with 2 recessed bolts. The stab mount is integral with the fuselage. The stab is mounted by one pin and one plastic bolt. The only airframe assembly left to be done for the customer is installing the vertical fin. The fuselage nose is quite roomy - you can see two D47 servos inside the nose for reference. Full size regular radio gear will easily fit into the nose.

---
Feb 24, 2010, 11:59 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
AND...A one piece fuselage just like the latest "high dollar" models!

Oleg...Are you going to be selling these?

Buddy
Feb 25, 2010, 12:14 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Roos
Oleg...Are you going to be selling these?
Yes, I am considering it. It will depend on how much interest I see here, and how well the factory will be able to supply the kits. Right now they have enough demand from the local pilots there. For now I am going to thoroughly enjoy this little bugger while I have it in my hands.
Feb 25, 2010, 12:24 AM
God Created me to Create
Looking forward to getting more info. Like you I have wanted something like this but I know I will never get around to building one.

What kind of $$ would they be?
Feb 25, 2010, 03:08 AM
I am very attracted to this glider, i also would like additional information concerning price

very impressive

-zagz
Feb 25, 2010, 04:03 AM
Oleg,

You never even let on this was in progress. Have you weighed the parts yet to estimate a finished weight. That is one neat looking plane! Can't wait to see it.

Dick
Feb 25, 2010, 04:20 AM
PWR
PWR
Oleg

Sweet little thing.
I'm sure we can use a bunch of them here in Denmark too.

Palle
Feb 25, 2010, 06:18 AM
But I am learning
Is this R/E only, or are there ailerons that I could not see in the pictures?

Brian P.
Feb 25, 2010, 06:43 AM
God Created me to Create
Do I see a 1m class forming ??
Feb 25, 2010, 06:56 AM
Kyle Clayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder
Do I see a 1m class forming ??
Hope so, I'd be down for that! Along with the new F3BK as well haha. Oleg, I think there's pleeeenty of interest over here!
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Feb 25, 2010, 06:57 AM
Steve Maxwell made me a 1M last spring based off the apogee. It's one piece RE design. It flies very well and I get right around 1 minute dead air time with a side arm launch (not a full discus launch). It's the plane I take with me traveling, I just throw it on top of the luggage without worrying about damage.When I was learning, it was the first DLG I had where I caught a thermal, even though I had a 1.5 meter at the time. I'd certainly get another 1 m.
Feb 25, 2010, 07:07 AM
Herk
I've been flying these two little winter experiments. Sometimes you just get a bit stir crazy when there is wind, rain, snow, wind, more rain, more snow etc.

They are really fun - fly anywhere models - and their performance is surprising.

When I took the larger one out on a day I thought there was no lift, it hooked a thermal and climbed so fast I was really amazed.

The small one is adapted from a Mini UHU kit from Hobby Lobby - 18 inch span 54 grams.

The larger one is 26 inch span - 50 grams.

Was inspired by a Chris Adams micro DLG thread last year and the availability of the AR6400 receiver.

Nothing like the beauty of Oleg's model, but probably lighter.
Feb 25, 2010, 07:26 AM
Throw a glider!
Pretty cool. I am also curious about the weight of the empty airframe?

I agree a 1 meter, (perhpas RE only?) class would really be a blast. With a few reasonably priced kits around it could be a great entry level option to attract new fliers. I fly my 1 meter several times a week, it is in my car all summer.
~Jim