Feb 25, 2010, 07:13 PM
that guy
Thread OP
im going to mount the lipo, esc and receiver on the tray type deal im working on (pictured). kinda screwed up and cut too much off the other day, i meant to leave the first two formers in place and for some reason hacked them off anyway the section in front of the cockpit will be removable somehow (havent figured out how to secure/remove it yet) and im thinking the servos will be in the cockpit
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2010, 08:59 PM
that guy
Thread OP
platforms for the servos in the cockpit area
Feb 25, 2010, 10:13 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Hey crazy,

Nice looking build. I'm a little bit farther along in my build of the same kit (I've got a neglected thread here somewhere ), and I've decided to put my servos in the bay just in front of the cockpit to ensure I can balance without extra nose weight. My battery tray/shelf looks alot like yours, and I plan to be able to move the battery back and forth as necessary to achieve balance.

Keep it up and I'll have to update my thread!

Steve
Feb 25, 2010, 10:23 PM
that guy
Thread OP
nice. i just mocked up my elevator and hooked it up to the servo...moves like it should. not exactly perfect, but i think it will get the job done if i can keep the plane in the air
Feb 26, 2010, 06:10 PM
that guy
Thread OP
ended up just going with tissue as the covering, im not expecting this thing to hold up for extended periods so it should do. managed to get the wing/tail/rudder surfaces covered and fuselage 1/4 covered before i ran out of dope. gotta pick up some more and a charger for a 2s lipo as my current one can only charge 3s lipo's. wind is supposed to be calm tomorrow so im hoping to get it all finished and put together tonight

and recommendations on the prop? ive got a 9x5 right now but its looking a little big
Feb 27, 2010, 12:31 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysccrmd
ended up just going with tissue as the covering, im not expecting this thing to hold up for extended periods so it should do. managed to get the wing/tail/rudder surfaces covered and fuselage 1/4 covered before i ran out of dope. gotta pick up some more and a charger for a 2s lipo as my current one can only charge 3s lipo's. wind is supposed to be calm tomorrow so im hoping to get it all finished and put together tonight

and recommendations on the prop? ive got a 9x5 right now but its looking a little big
Looking at the plan, I think 9" is about scale, which does look big though. I have an FSK 3-blader on mine which works well.

That fast! You know they don't fly well with just open framework an no covering.
Sounds like one heck of an all-nighter to get 'er done.
Feb 27, 2010, 02:16 PM
that guy
Thread OP
yeah...i went and out drinking with friends last night, so no work got done and it definitely isnt going to be flying today
Feb 27, 2010, 08:52 PM
that guy
Thread OP
didnt get much done today, still waiting on a new charger and finally assembly
Feb 27, 2010, 11:45 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
yeah...i went and out drinking with friends last night, so no work got done and it definitely isn't going to be flying today
Been years since I did that. Real modelers don't have a life. ...well that is according to the rest of the world.
Feb 27, 2010, 11:46 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
yeah...i went and out drinking with friends last night, so no work got done and it definitely isn't going to be flying today
Been years since I did that. Real modelers don't have a life...well that is according to the rest of the world.
If was was to drink though, it would be like this:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3030454
Feb 27, 2010, 11:54 PM
that guy
Thread OP
i have the wing on (rubber banded) and attached the engine/cowling...looks like im going to need a pretty solid amount of ballast in the nose to get it balanced out properly
Feb 28, 2010, 03:41 AM
that guy
Thread OP
front end didnt turn out too pretty...but hopefully that wont effect the flying ability too badly. definitely would've helped if i had started this build with the intention of going rc from the beginning instead of adjusting halfway through. oh well, lessons learned for the future i suppose

two more pictures, one of the rubber band securing the wing to the fuselage and the other showing the nearly complete product. still puzzling over how to make the open side of the fuse into a hatch door though. need to install the canopy, the battery hatch and it will be complete enough for me to attempt flight

im eyeing the zero for my next attempt, which hopefully will be vastly improved
Feb 28, 2010, 06:06 AM
that guy
Thread OP
attached head on view of the aircraft...kinda looks like the nose cone is crooked for some reason. doesnt appear that way for real though. does it look like there should be enough dihedral to fly decently without ailerons?
Feb 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Hey crazy,

Late nights drinking or not, you sure work fast. I don't think I've finished a model in less than six months! Some of them have been works in progress for years now. I like to put the "pro" into "procrastination" .

I hear you about the nose weight. These models are inherently tail-heavy because of their short nose moments, so the challenge ends up being trying to pack all the heavy stuff as far forward as possible. I have the Zero myself, and it looks like it will be worse in this regard than the Spitfire.

Have you got any of those super-strong rare-earth magnets? The ones I use are about 1/8" in diameter and 1/16" thick, and will hold a hatch in place through just about anything.

Steve
Feb 28, 2010, 12:08 PM
that guy
Thread OP
right now i have the distinct advantage of my wife not being here with me...makes things so much easier sometimes...

Quick Reply