Feb 20, 2010, 11:59 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Video

Frank's Culver V

Here's a little video of a Culver V. I bet most of you have never seen one of these. I'll let Dad (Moonbeam Six) chime in here with the details...

Neat little plane!

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2010, 08:39 AM
Servos can't have all the fun!
The Culver Model "V" (for Victory) was designed by Al Mooney, and built by Culver Aircraft in 1946. It was also built again in the early 60s by Superior Aircraft Company. It was powered by a Continental 85 HP fuel injected engine with a constant speed prop. It was quite an advanced design for its time. With the landing gear retracted, it could cruise at 125 mph. I found some interesting comments from Culver V owners at: http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/culver_model5.php

I had the good fortune of getting a ride in the only Culver V I ever saw. I have admired the unique design ever since. My good friend and flying buddy, Joe Roger Smith, loved the V, and was considering purchasing one.

I obtained a set of old Berkeley plans from Uncle Willie (http://myunclewilliestoo.com/about2.html), but it was too complicated to build from scratch. The plans were simplified and redrawn in Diddle-style by my friend, Fred (aka V-rated). During construction, it became obvious that some departures had to be made from the true Diddle-style construction.

The wingspan is 28 inches. Weight without battery is 4.95 ounces; AUW is 5.7 ounces with 350 mAh 2S battery. Power is a GWS LPS motor turning a 7x6 prop.

I maidened the Culver V on Christmas Day, 2008. The maiden was marginally successful due some difficulty with control authority and a strong tendency to roll left. The second short flight resulted in a crash, with slight damage to the nose. I was concerned that the design would not be stable or have adequate control without ailerons. I asked Gary to fly it for the video. Conditions were about perfect for the flight. With some trimming, Gary got it flying pretty well. It still is sluggish in a right turn, but that is probably due to a slight warp in the stabilizer. We made three or four flights with it. Andy and I also flew it. During one flight, the power unexpectedly cut off and I had no control. The plane glided down in a wide left turn to a nice landing in the grass.

Many thanks to Fred for the plans and encouragement on the project, to Gary for proving it would really fly and for flying it so nicely, and to Andy for making and posting this video.

I hope you enjoy it.

MB6
Last edited by Moonbeam Six; Mar 15, 2010 at 09:26 PM.
Feb 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
Guys,
You are welcome! BTW. Excellent video, Guys. I never heard of the Culver V till MB6 intorduced this plane to me over a year ago. It was really an enjoyable experience working with MB6, designing/drawing the Diddle Scale plans for the Culver V, MB5 was a big help in that, He over seen and helped in making the right design changes that made this model a success. I plan to make a PDf file for her if anyone is interested, just PM me for the file. Most of the credit should go to to MB6 for introducing this little known aircraft to me and for outstanding job on building a untested design.
Cheers!
~Vrated
Feb 21, 2010, 02:54 PM
Honey, I got more planes!
I believe the Culver V was flying like it was designed to yesterday afternoon. Fun little plane. Definitely a personality of its own! Thanks Dad for letting me fly it.
Feb 22, 2010, 05:12 PM
Great video!

Great flying!!

Great Plane!!

It is so very nice to have such a good record of how well this model flies.

Andy,

Thanks for the bump. I no longer get notifications that anyone has posted anything on RCG.

Roger
Feb 22, 2010, 06:00 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Ladies! That is just plain ole neato right there! Great job big Daddy
Feb 22, 2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys. I am really happy with the Culver V.

MB6
Mar 20, 2010, 06:06 AM
Nice flight and model. Great job Moonbeam Six! She's a beauty!

RAFster
Mar 20, 2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster
Nice flight and model. Great job Moonbeam Six! She's a beauty!

RAFster
RAFster,

Thanks. I love the Culver V. It is a pretty plane.

MB6
Mar 20, 2010, 09:14 AM
Chillin till SEFF
I bet it'll look pretty on final at SEFF. Thinking about heading out to Hodges now
Mar 22, 2010, 05:11 PM

Culver V

Greetings DEE-GROSE,

Your plane is a little beauty! Good flying, excellent camera work, thanks for the posting.

Regards,

Desert Hawk
Mar 29, 2010, 06:43 PM
I add my congrats for fine job of designing and videoing.

I remember well the little Culver Cadet at the local airport, when I was a kid. I'd like to find plans for it, to build one. When the Culver V came out, I didn't think it looked as good as the Cadet, but probably was roomier and had better ground handling with the tri gear.
Mar 29, 2010, 11:54 PM
Sammy,

Thanks for the compliments. Fred did a fine job on the plans. He is making some recommended mods. The plans might be available, if you ask. Gary did a great job on the flying, and Andy skillfully captured its charm on video.

You are right about the Cadet. It was a slick little plane as well. I got a ride in one of those too. Mr. Gus Morfis has plans available for the Culver Cadet. Google "Gus Morfis Plans" or email him at: Cmmorfis@AOL.com

Here is a great Culver Cadet site: http://culvercadet.com/ One picture has a Cadet and a V in formation.

MB6
Apr 27, 2010, 07:21 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Did I miss this at SEFF? Wanted to get vidz of the Culver V myself.
Apr 27, 2010, 07:25 PM
Honey, I got more planes!
Dad flew it for a bit Thursday. Caught a pilot station pole on a close camera pass. Wing tip seperated. Minor repairs are due.