Feb 20, 2010, 09:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

ILS for FPV

I was just thinking about this tonight. I would be so awesome if someone could integrate an ILS into an ODS. You could pre-program a "runway into the OSD" or you could have extra equipment on the ground to transmit your GPS data to the airplane via an extra channel on your transmitter or something like that. I'm not sure on the specifics, and I definitely lack the technical skill to make something like this, but maybe someone with a little extra time. . .

to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2010, 10:53 PM
First to go over 106K feet
We need some programming to use the GPS to set up a glideslope and then use some crosshairs to display above or below the glideslope. Could be part of the OSD using home position and then a 'switch" to turn it on.
Feb 20, 2010, 10:54 PM
First to go over 106K feet
We need some programming to use the GPS to set up a glideslope and then use some crosshairs to display above or below the glideslope. Could be part of the OSD using home position and then a "switch" to turn it on. Or use the variometer, or a "carrot".
Feb 21, 2010, 01:12 AM
I AP'd myself again......
I thought guys from Iowa were so cool that they could fly with their eyes closed.
Feb 21, 2010, 02:32 AM
Programming any decent OSD to show if you're on the proper heading and glide slope for
a virtual runway would be fairly easy. I can think of several ways it could be displayed.
The problem with using GPS for ILS for FPV use is the same as it is for full scale use.
GPS's vertical positional accuracy is fairly dreadful, so while it can line you up on a
virtual runway, that runway could be dozens if not hundreds of feet above, or below
the actual ground level, and it'll change during the course of the flight as satellites
come and go. You'd need differential GPS to account for the error.

ian
Feb 21, 2010, 03:03 AM
DragonOSD+ has a rudimentary glidescope in it.

Daniel
Feb 21, 2010, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
DragonOSD+ has a rudimentary glidescope in it.

Daniel
Pictures?
Feb 21, 2010, 08:42 PM
The only feature I want related to this is the ability to fly to one waypoint. So set the waypoint somewhere in-line with the runway. Once you get there, all you go to do is go straight in to land.
Feb 21, 2010, 09:06 PM
Resistance is Futile
I am working on incorporating ILS using machine vision, (integrating visual data with 3D mapping) + GPS + sonar rangefinder.

Have a good one,

Rob
Last edited by camship; Feb 21, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Feb 21, 2010, 09:30 PM
You can already use the GPS like a NDB. Fly to waypoint and outbound for a minute then procedure turn inbound for the decent. The ILS would be quite cool and seems totally doable. I fly a airplane with Waas (Wide Area Augmentation System) at work. We can put an ILS at any airport we want.
Feb 21, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by avropilot View Post
You can already use the GPS like a NDB. Fly to waypoint and outbound for a minute then procedure turn inbound for the decent. The ILS would be quite cool and seems totally doable. I fly a airplane with Waas (Wide Area Augmentation System) at work. We can put an ILS at any airport we want.

yeah, but NDB's just don't quite give you the same feeling as an ILS.
Jan 31, 2015, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7119 View Post
I would be so awesome if someone could integrate an ILS into an ODS.
I'd just like to bring up that thread again, because there is a very similar project called FlightZoomer which I did in the last two years (see the thread here).

As FlightZoomer is smartphone based, the ILS is not shown on an ODS but on a groundstation app with the smartphone acting as "glas-cockpit". The system became better and better in the last months but last sunday I was lucky to accomplish what I call "the world's first ILS approach with an RC quadcopter".

The following video is a composition of the smartphone emulator, which shows the flight played back in realtime together in sync with the onboard video footage:
FlightZoomer - The world’s first ILS approach with an RC quadcopter (4 min 44 sec)
Jan 31, 2015, 05:07 PM
400' + is where fun starts.
I'd rather just roll out my version.
(1 min 11 sec)
Feb 01, 2015, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
The problem with using GPS for ILS for FPV use is the same as it is for full scale use. GPS's vertical positional accuracy is fairly dreadful, so while it can line you up on a virtual runway, that runway could be dozens if not hundreds of feet above, or below the actual ground level, and it'll change during the course of the flight as satellites come and go. You'd need differential GPS to account for the error.

ian
I just quickly want to add that with my system FlightZoomer (which is primarily GPS based) the vertical resolution might indeed be a bit worse than the horizontal resolution, but for all pratical purposes the altitude is accurate enough to fly along the glideslope. Especially if one of the newer onboard smartphones are used.

In my video two posts above one can clearly see that the approach stuck nearly perfect on the glideslope (vertically) and rather good to the localizer (horizontally).

Just a remark if somebody is puzzled why the video only shows a computer desktop: The video shows actually a real flight, which is just replayed later in my office on the computer...
Feb 01, 2015, 03:32 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
I'd rather just roll out my version.
really cool! but alas, VFR not ILS

I have done night flights that could benefit from ILS. Instead I just aimed for my 32" LEDTV which could be seen in the videolink from 1/5 mile away, and the altimeter, LOL .. but I was standing there too, and the plane banged into my calves. Like cotton balls. LOL

Quick Reply